Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aerlingus AerClub/Avios

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭banchang

AerClub have a comprehensive RedC survey hitting your inbox now. I just completed it.

Make sure to give them the feedback they ask for !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

I haven't seen anything yet...

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Qprmeath

Are your bags included in an Avios flight booking?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭VG31

Qprmeath wrote: »

Yes, 20kg.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

banchang wrote: »
    AerClub have a comprehensive RedC survey hitting your inbox now.

And this is how I imagine they'll process it.

tenor.gif?itemid=10474292

My guess is it's either a box-ticking exercise or some is on the coals about Aer Club, but either way I'd expect exactly nothing to happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭SB Morer

All - Bank of Ireland and Aer Lingus have a new Credit Card on the Irish market
    https://personalbanking.bankofireland.com/campaigns/aer-credit-card/#panel1

• Registered Users Posts: 68,526 ✭✭✭✭L1011

7.99 a month card fee so you need to work out if you'll benefit enough from it. If you currently have Platinum its a ~25 quid increase and a substantially higher interest rate but still has the travel insurance.

It doesn't have the salary requirements of Platinum but tbh you need that salary for it to make any sense - if you don't have the money to spend you don't get the Avios or the 'free' flights!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭Noxegon

All - Bank of Ireland and Aer Lingus have a new Credit Card on the Irish market
    https://personalbanking.bankofirelan...t-card/#panel1

€95.88/year for two lounge passes and travel insurance, and a €5000 spend for flights that you'll likely not be able to claim when you want them?

Thanks but no thanks.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

L1011 wrote: »
    7.99 a month card fee so you need to work out if you'll benefit enough from it. If you currently have Platinum its a ~25 quid increase and a substantially higher interest rate but still has the travel insurance.

It doesn't have the salary requirements of Platinum but tbh you need that salary for it to make any sense - if you don't have the money to spend you don't get the Avios or the 'free' flights!

My annual travel Insurance for the family is about 100 quid, that’s covered here so for me it seems to be a good deal. The other stuff is a bonus.

I’ve just won 100000 AerClub points? Can anyone explainwhat that means in real terms?

Thanks everyone for advice on this. Booked 6 of us return to Faro in July €395 and 90000 points

• Advertisement

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    My annual travel Insurance for the family is about 100 quid, that’s covered here so for me it seems to be a good deal. The other stuff is a bonus.

But does the travel insurance cover just the card-holder or is it a family policy? I think the travel insurance on BOI Platinum Cards is for the card holder only. In any event they appear to have put the links to it up prematurely and they’ve removed any info from the BOI site for the moment.

https://personalbanking.bankofireland.com/app/uploads/2015/10/Platinum-credit-card-travel-insurance-booklet.pdf

BOI Platinum covers you + partner + kids under 23 + any co-signatories to the card for travel at least 50% paid for on that specific card only. So its not clear cut family mulitrip but is the same for most users

SB Morer wrote: »
    But does the travel insurance cover just the card-holder or is it a family policy? I think the travel insurance on BOI Platinum Cards is for the card holder only. In any event they appear to have put the links to it up prematurely and they’ve removed any info from the BOI site for the moment.

https://personalbanking.bankofireland.com/app/uploads/2015/10/Platinum-credit-card-travel-insurance-booklet.pdf

When the link was up, it said for the whole family with no ref to 50%, so I took it as full coverage.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Platinum pack arrived sometime in the last week, finally!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Platinum pack arrived sometime in the last week, finally!!

It's silly that you need to present it still.

BA is great.. Apple Wallet ticket clearly reflects your status and it's sufficient for fast track and lounges.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭mx5ire

Can i get some expert opinion on my options for some Cathay Pacific flights in April please.....Flying Dub - Hong Kong - to Beijing, and something similar home again - all with wife and daughter.

So should we include our AerClub number or BA Exec Club number for the flights - we are are in classes Q & N, and the BA calculator tells us what we will get for avios and tiers - but i cannot figure out what we will get for Aerclub. No tier points is a given, so just wanted to max the avios. EI website doesn't mention class Q or N, but does mention the other economy classes @50%;, whereas BA covers them all.

Thoughts ??

mx5ire wrote: »
    Can i get some expert opinion on my options for some Cathay Pacific flights in April please.....Flying Dub - Hong Kong - to Beijing, and something similar home again - all with wife and daughter.

So should we include our AerClub number or BA Exec Club number for the flights - we are are in classes Q & N, and the BA calculator tells us what we will get for avios and tiers - but i cannot figure out what we will get for Aerclub. No tier points is a given, so just wanted to max the avios. EI website doesn't mention class Q or N, but does mention the other economy classes @50%, whereas BA covers them all.

Thoughts ??

I would presume if the fare class is not quoted on Aer Lingus then you will not earn any Avios. I have flown Malaysia Airlines in the past and credited the flights to BA, but my Heathrow-Kuala Lumpur return flights (class O) earned me no Avios or Tier Points as the fare class was not listed on the BA Website. If your Q/N fare class is only mentioned on BA then I would play it safe and credit the flights there. 25% of miles flown is better than 0%.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Just a note on this, you've to go the the desk to check your bag in, as the machines will try charge you. (at least they did in November)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Full 20kg EU, 23kg US bag allowance applies on all Avios tickets.

Just a note on this, you've to go the the desk to check your bag in, as the machines will try charge you. (at least they did in November)

Great minds think alike. I actually contacted Avios about this as Aer Lingus app doesn’t show bags on the booking and they said I may need to to go to desk.

• Advertisement

Great minds think alike. I actually contacted Avios about this as Aer Lingus app doesn’t show bags on the booking and they said I may need to to go to desk.

If you try call EI with any query they struggle to find the booking as the PNR doesn’t start with 2

banchang wrote: »
    AerClub have a comprehensive RedC survey hitting your inbox now. I just completed it.

Make sure to give them the feedback they ask for !

I haven't seen any survey, I would have thought they'd be at least mildly curious why after several years of 600-700 points a year my account has been firmly rooted at zero points for months, or is that not what a loyalty scheme is about..

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭steve-o

I haven't seen any survey, I would have thought they'd be at least mildly curious why after several years of 600-700 points a year my account has been firmly rooted at zero points for months, or is that not what a loyalty scheme is about..
    Funnily enough, when I went from the equivalent in Gold Circle tier points (4000-5000) to zero in Aer Club, they never thought to enquire why!

Status change and card postage comparison - I changed Radisson status levels by virtue of a stay ending on 02/12/18. Status upgrade email with a printable card which is accepted most places sent 13/12. Physical card arrives today.

Aerclub doesn't seem to ever get within those timeframes and cannot provide an equivalent to the print-at-home card either.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭rio1

I’m now waiting two months for an aerclub silver card..

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭MoeJay

I guess it's official...

https://personalbanking.bankofireland.com/borrow/credit-cards/aer-credit-card/features-benefits/

..monthly fee and earning rate not particularly attractive? (Chase card in the states earns 1 avios per $1 spend non-Aer Lingus I think?)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

It always struck me how generous the US credit card loyalty schemes appear to be. I’ve got 3 mates living in the US, all 3 have a few cards and try to buy as much as possible on these cards in order to maximize their bonuses. (The guy in Seattle only flies United as he gets so many points with them, he is thrilled with the direct flight as he has spent 8 years transiting thru EWR)
    Is it a US financial thing that allows this and maybe an Irish setup that dissuades such benefits?

MoeJay wrote: »
    I guess it's official...

https://personalbanking.bankofireland.com/borrow/credit-cards/aer-credit-card/features-benefits/

..monthly fee and earning rate not particularly attractive? (Chase card in the states earns 1 avios per $1 spend non-Aer Lingus I think?)

I must have missed it but what's the annual fee...?

I must have missed it but what's the annual fee...?

It's €7.99 a month.

Details are on the BOI webpage - https://personalbanking.bankofireland.com/borrow/credit-cards/aer-credit-card/features-benefits/

Head For Points review of it is here -
    https://www.headforpoints.com/2019/01/19/aer-credit-card-review-from-aer-lingus-aerclub/

• Advertisement

Tenger wrote: »
    It always struck me how generous the US credit card loyalty schemes appear to be. I’ve got 3 mates living in the US, all 3 have a few cards and try to buy as much as possible on these cards in order to maximize their bonuses. (The guy in Seattle only flies United as he gets so many points with them, he is thrilled with the direct flight as he has spent 8 years transiting thru EWR)
    Is it a US financial thing that allows this and maybe an Irish setup that dissuades such benefits?

EU maximum merchant rate means the US levels of rewards are unviable - would mean a loss on every transaction. That is also why things like the Tesco credit card give much lower rates than they used to

I put up to 30k over my card a year and with the best option before now get about enough Avios a one way to London!

Advertisement