Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aerlingus AerClub/Avios

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,465 ✭✭✭✭cson

What's the best way to collect avios for someone who rarely flies?

SuperValu Real Rewards/shopping online through the Avios portal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,782 ✭✭✭One More Toy

cson wrote: »
    SuperValu Real Rewards/shopping online through the Avios portal.

No supervalu nearby unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Buy stuff on the Avios e-store or book your hotels through somewhere like RocketMiles. (booking.com is on the e-store btw, I got most of my points that way).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

IMO, you'd need to be buying a lot of stuff to make it worthwhile and it would want to be stuff you want or need on a regular basis (Hence why SuperValu is the best answer given they sell groceries). Otherwise, you'd be spending euros to save cents.

Avios etc sound great but they are really only beneficial to those that live on planes (Been there) or in countries where you average credit card gives you points for an annual holiday/lounge visit. Otherwise, the effort to collect them is false economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Tangey99

It is possible, or certainly was in the past, to collect sunstantial avios via the supervalu shopping portal, without spending hardly any money. I estimate I've gotten around 100K avios since the portal opened, for no more than £50 of spend.

Unfortunately things have tighten up significantly in recent times.

Joybuy was particularly fruitful, but is now no longer a valid way to do so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 ganreo

If you get a transatlantic ticket using avios points - does it equate to a Smart or a Saver ticket? Just wondering if it includes a checked in bag? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭VG31

ganreo wrote: »
    If you get a transatlantic ticket using avios points - does it equate to a Smart or a Saver ticket? Just wondering if it includes a checked in bag? Thanks

All Avios tickets include checked luggage and seat selection. 20 kg for short haul and 23 kg for long haul.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

VG31 wrote: »
    All Avios tickets include checked luggage and seat selection. 20 kg for short haul and 23 kg for long haul.

Short haul avios tickets only include standard seats
    You'll need to call EI (not avios) and pay for a choice seat
    It's not possible to do online even if you have the EI pnr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Use avios.com for your hotel bookings
    15 points per Euro
    So a 100 euro stay earns 1500 avios
    A 600 euro stay earns 9000 etc
    Prices are mostly the same as booking direct but obviously do the maths on special offers

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Board Walker

Anyone having trouble logging into Aios or EI site?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭mx5ire

It was working yesterday and at about 9am this morning, cannot get in now.

Its an incredibly frustrating website to use, the lack of availability of flights when EI flights actually have loads of space is just ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

Loads of bother with it the other day, BA too actually.

So i clicked the link to ebookers and booked a hotel in NY for 1500 and it says 8 avios per 1 euro, It said on the avios my visit t the store was tracked but it did not ask for my EI number on the ebookers site, How will they know how much my hotel cost?

I already had it booked on booking.com but i cancelled and re booked trough avios store.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

So i clicked the link to ebookers and booked a hotel in NY for 1500 and it says 8 avios per 1 euro, It said on the avios my visit t the store was tracked but it did not ask for my EI number on the ebookers site, How will they know how much my hotel cost?

I already had it booked on booking.com but i cancelled and re booked trough avios store.
    They use cookies/referal codes in the check out to track that you did the purchase. As long as you were logged into Avios and clicked through their link to booking.com you're all set.

12,000 avios is unreal! i didnt realise there was so many points up for grabs!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

you'll be waiting a while to get it though, it's 120 days after the check-out date.

you'll be waiting a while to get it though, it's 120 days after the check-out date.

It says 5 days on the avios site?

EDIT: It says 90-120 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Sottol

12,000 avios is unreal! i didnt realise there was so many points up for grabs!

You won’t get 12,000 it’s only on the net cost the VAT portion doesn’t attract avios points

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭thebiglad

Sottol wrote: »
    You won’t get 12,000 it’s only on the net cost the VAT portion doesn’t attract avios points

Avios from Expedia pays based on the amount paid to Expedia - so no consideration of VAT, have used Ebookers once and got the same result there too.

I have made some very good Avios point hauls on Expedia hotel stays

thebiglad wrote: »
    Avios from Expedia pays based on the amount paid to Expedia - so no consideration of VAT, have used Ebookers once and got the same result there too.

Ok great to know - on booking.com and hotels.com they don’t give you the points on the full actual amount paid. Will be looking to Expedia and ebookers in future, thanks!

• Advertisement

thebiglad wrote: »

Ok great to know - on booking.com and hotels.com they don’t give you the points on the full actual amount paid. Will be looking to Expedia and ebookers in future, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,400 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

I know it’s not really Aer Club related, but what really is the point of Aer Space?! Any flights I’ve been on for the past few weeks it’s only the front row. In theory, great you get an empty seat beside you, but you can’t put up the armrest on row 1 to give you any tangible benefit in terms of space. It’s just pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,828 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Is there not a release tab on the underside near the hinge to put up the unputupable arm rests? Or I may be thinking of Cityjets Avros - don't blame me if you get greasy fingers!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Not on the row 1 A320, the table is in the armrest.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Mmmm about to book a hotel for a couple of nights in the UK.

On the Avios website (using hotels.com) its quoting me £225 but the same booking on the hotels.com app is just EUR 205 - not worth paying extra to get these 'free' points.

Some of the other retailers pages on the avios website are not working either, overall it's a joke of a programme and how someone still has a job given tbe constant negative feedback says a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,828 ✭✭✭✭L1011

My experience is that NH hotels bought via any site that gives Avios - or even their own rates that pay out to Iberia Avios - work out at a price per point premium so high you may as well buy the sodding Avios directly when there's a topup offer and book the hotel directly and get NHs own cashback points.

I'm fairly sure that applies to other chains that have realistically enforced lowest-price-via-own-website rates also. I tend to avoid non-aligned hotels due to the advantage of having a head office to moan at when things go wrong; and Radisson and Starwood have the advantage of said office being in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 11,400 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

L1011 wrote: »
    Is there not a release tab on the underside near the hinge to put up the unputupable arm rests? Or I may be thinking of Cityjets Avros - don't blame me if you get greasy fingers!

There is on the normal armrests (the ones on the aisle that don’t nirmally lift) but these are the solid ones, they don’t lift.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

L1011 wrote: »
    My experience is that NH hotels bought via any site that gives Avios - or even their own rates that pay out to Iberia Avios - work out at a price per point premium so high you may as well buy the sodding Avios directly when there's a topup offer and book the hotel directly and get NHs own cashback points.

I'm fairly sure that applies to other chains that have realistically enforced lowest-price-via-own-website rates also. I tend to avoid non-aligned hotels due to the advantage of having a head office to moan at when things go wrong; and Radisson and Starwood have the advantage of said office being in Ireland

Definitely showing in £ when I go to hotels.com via the avios website. Even if it was € it would still be more expensive to book just to get the avios.

Will be booking direct, some other hood retailers there too but their connected pages don't work right now!

• Registered Users Posts: 46 stack0487

I’m flying with BA Economy from Shannon (with Aer Lingus) - Heathrow - Tokyo (with BA) next month.

Can I use the BA lounge in Heathrow if I have AerClub Silver and a BA economy ticket? The whole trip is ticketed by BA and the long haul portion is BA

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

You can use the lounge in Shannon and the EI lounge in LHR on the way back

Access in LHR BA T3/5 only if Platinum or better

Advertisement