Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent Increase thread

Options
  • 10-08-2015 7:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭boardfriek

It seems to go around these days that people get letters with the announcement that their rent is going to go up significantly. I heard of adjustments up 250 Euro's per month. I wonder if the goverment is wanting to do something about this since most likely nobody is gonna get a pay raise at the same level.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭skallywag

In central European countries the rent is defined in the rental contract between tenant and landlord and cannot be increased outside of this for the duration of the contract. Does such a contract not also exist in Ireland in order to safeguard against such increases?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

skallywag wrote: »
    In central European countries the rent is defined in the rental contract between tenant and landlord and cannot be increased outside of this for the duration of the contract. Does such a contract not also exist in Ireland in order to safeguard against such increases?

It does but most leases are for a year in duration.

Outside of a contract it is only possible for a landlord to increase the rent once a year to the current market rate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

boardfriek wrote: »
    It seems to go around these days that people get letters with the announcement that their rent is going to go up significantly. I heard of adjustments up 250 Euro's per month. I wonder if the goverment is wanting to do something about this since most likely nobody is gonna get a pay raise at the same level.

In short, no. There is a massive shortage of rental accommodation at the moment, particularly in Dublin. Until more units get built there is little that can be done about the situation. If the government made moves towards capping rents or controlling rent prices you would see a lot of professional landlords leaving the market as the return would not be there for them. This would lead to an even bigger shortage of suitable units.

I agree that people aren't getting pay rises to keep up with rents, but I think the market is being heavily skewed by the IT workers, many of whom start on very good money straight out of college. So while you or I might not be able to afford the rent jumps, there is a long line of commitment free, relatively well off 20 somethings who are more than happy to pay.

matrim wrote: »
    It does but most leases are for a year in duration.

That's interesting. I would imagine that Ireland will need to align more with other European countries where renting has been traditionally strong if the renting scenario is really going to be taken more seriously. A large amount of European rental agreements are three year minimum where the terms get locked in, with the capability to exit the agreement after the first 12 months with 3 months notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

The increase doesnt matter as long as it's within local area rent prices. You will also have tenants who have enjoyed below market rental rates for a long while and get a shock when it goes up. No complaints when the landlord makes a loss on their rental from the tenant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭boardfriek

Thank you for your comments so far. The problem that I see in this case is the fact that the tennant finds himself trapped in a situation were he either pays a higher rent or move to a different property. But again there is either not much available or you end up with the same level of rent. Feels kind of getting black mailed and the end of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Thank you for your comments so far. The problem that I see in this case is the fact that the tennant finds himself trapped in a situation were he either pays a higher rent or move to a different property. But again there is either not much available or you end up with the same level of rent. Feels kind of getting black mailed and the end of the day.

Is the new rent above rents in the area?

Is the new rent above rents in the area?

I opened this topic to have a general discussion before I am facing the same situation. But I am curious what could be done once you receive something like this. How you find out if it's above average and what can be done?

... and what can be done?

Well unless it's breaching your contract agreement then I would imagine that nothing can be done. You can always try to reason with the landlord, if they see you as a decent reliable tenant then you may have some leverage. But if they feel that they can genuinely command that level of rent from the current market then you may either have to meet the expectation of else move out.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

You can look at letting advertisements, estate agents listings, etc, to get a feel for rental levels in the area. If you think the rent increase is too high you can (a) give notice to quit, and rent somewhere cheaper, or more probably (b) tell the landlord's agent that you think the rent increase is too high, say what you think a reasonable rent increase would be and invite the landlord to accept that with the threat that, if he doesn't, you'll give notice to quit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

It's not blackmail, it's a suppliers' market. Nobody is forcing you to stay. You have an alternative, to move out.

athtrasna wrote: »
    It's not blackmail, it's a suppliers' market. Nobody is forcing you to stay. You have an alternative, to move out.

You are not getting the point.The market does NOT give you a lot of choice as there is either not a lot available in the same condition or area neither for the same price.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

You are not getting the point.The market does NOT give you a lot of choice as there is either not a lot available in the same condition or area neither for the same price.

If someone else is willing to pay the increase, why should the landlord be stuck with a tenant who won't?

If someone else is willing to pay the increase, why should the landlord be stuck with a tenant who won't?

I was referring to my point of view. Sorry but you start mixing things up.

From a landlord's perspective having a reliable, stable and minimum hassle tenant is a massive plus. It's often worth more than a perspective rent rise which means losing the tenant.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

I was referring to my point of view. Sorry but you start mixing things up.

The market is not blackmailing anyone. The market is made up of punters who want to live in your area and are willing to pay more than you're paying. This drives up the price and justifies the landlord looking for a rent increase.

People complain here about their €200 rent increase, but they haven't had a rent increase in years. This only indicates that the landlord was allowing them to live there below market rate for a while before looking for an increase.
    From a landlord's perspective having a reliable, stable and minimum hassle tenant is a massive plus. It's often worth more than a perspective rent rise which means losing the tenant.

This would feed into my point above. The landlord will usually settle for less than the market rate for these qualities and some have done for years already. Proposing a rent increase of €200 could end with a compromise of €100. This allows the landlord to increase their taking while keeping a good tenant and the tenant continues in a below market rate apartment.

This would feed into my point above. The landlord will usually settle for less than the market rate for these qualities and some have done for years already. Proposing a rent increase of €200 could end with a compromise of €100. This allows the landlord to increase their taking while keeping a good tenant and the tenant continues in a below market rate apartment.

Agreed, splitting the difference is often a very good compromise. It's unreasonable of a tenant and unfair to a landlord to expect no rise whatsoever when the market is clearly saying otherwise.

Plus the the costs for the landlord having to renovate and refurbish a place compared to a tenant who kept it fairly maintained.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Terrlock

What the government could do, is work to develop proper infrastructure in other region's of the country.

Develop rural telecommunications so it's up to the standard companies require.

There also should be possible to start working from anywhere really in the IT sector.

Working from home, should be more of an option.

To many Jobs are focused in and around Dublin. With Rural Ireland having basically nothing to keep them going.

• Administrators Posts: 53,843 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

On the subject of the market rate, having the highest rent in the area is not really an issue. Firstly, you need to compare like for like, eg 2 bed apartments vs 2 bed apartments with similar or the same features.

There is no point comparing a 2 bed apartment with a south facing balcony that overlooks the sea or something, with a 2 bed apartment with a north facing balcony where you're looking into the next door neighbour's bathroom.

Even if they are very similar, you would have to show that your rent is significantly above the average. If you're paying an extra 50 quid a month than everyone else you're unlikely to get anywhere if you complain.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

dreading an increase since I've had 4 years with none, heres hoping they still keep it as is haha (not likely)

• Administrators Posts: 53,843 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

IMO if you rent off a letting agency who maintains a portfolio of properties you are more likely to see increases than if you rent off a private landlord who manages their own property (and probably just the one property).

Yes, it's a generalisation but that has been my experience. I believe the former are more likely to be up to date with the current market status, and are more willing to go through a change of tenant if required.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Terrlock wrote: »
    What the government could do, is work to develop proper infrastructure in other region's of the country.

Develop rural telecommunications so it's up to the standard companies require.

There also should be possible to start working from anywhere really in the IT sector.

Working from home, should be more of an option.

To many Jobs are focused in and around Dublin. With Rural Ireland having basically nothing to keep them going.
    Ah the old Dublin v Everywhere else in the whole country post.

Are there too many jobs in Cork City and Galway City too? Maybe Pfizer should relocate to wherever you live, to spread the butter around a bit more, eh?

The very last thing Ireland needs is less focus on our (terribly neglected, when compared to the rest of Europe!!) cities. Dublin has absolutely appalling public transport for a city its size. Same goes for our other large urban centres.

The reality is that not that many jobs can be done remotely in a genuinely productive way. Even in my industry (computer programmer), where the preconditions for remote working are amongst the best you'll find, the actual numbers of people doing it are low. Hands on jobs are simply impossible to do remotely. Even for those who do work remotely, they will generally be expected in the office for face to face meetings at regular intervals. Video conferencing is limited in the interaction it can offer right now.

People will continue to migrate to the cities as they have been doing for thousands of years now. The solution is to build better public transport in and around the cities and to build UP. Dublin has millions of cubic kilometres of untapped living space...above our heads. You just have to be "brave" enough to build higher than the handful of storeys Dublin City Council seems to think is "high rise" lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

awec wrote: »
    IMO if you rent off a letting agency who maintains a portfolio of properties you are more likely to see increases than if you rent off a private landlord who manages their own property (and probably just the one property).

Yes, it's a generalisation but that has been my experience. I believe the former are more likely to be up to date with the current market status, and are more willing to go through a change of tenant if required.

Agreed.

Letting agencies who run properties in my area, have all had price increases to €1500-€1600 since February.

I'm in arguably the biggest property in the estate, and didn't get a price hiek this year., paying €1250. I deal with the landlord direct, I'm in his only property, and its for his kids to either live in or sell when they grow up.

So its entirely possible unless there is a big shift in his life, I could stay in the place for a good 15 years.

We have a good rapport, I fix and deal with most issues that arises in the house myself, and I'm hoping that the government will do something to tackle supply issues, so I can try haggle a slightly reduced rent.

The same place was going for €900 before the market went mental over a year ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Beagle Boy

Based on the details provided on the new rent controls (http://www.thejournal.ie/alan-kelly-rents-housing-2435446-Nov2015/) can anyone explain to me why landlords are rushing to iincrease rents before the legislation comes into affect (there are a few threads here already about recent increases).

If someone's rent has been reviewed already this year then the legislation will mean it cant be changed for 2 years rather than 1. If its over a year since rent has been reviewed then I'm not sure I understand why it matters whether that review happens before the legislation in enacted or after. The one reason I can see for it is that the new legislation indicates that a landlord must give 3 months notice so if a landlord did intent to increase the rent he misses out on two months of the inreasesd rate if he waits until after the legislation comes into affect.

Am I missing something obvious here?
    BB

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Contrary to wide spread misprint of rental issues, there are many many landlords that have not increased rent year on year as a good tennant who looks after the place is worth more than an extra €200 per month that most of will go to revenue either way!

Some are now getting the price up as they know they can't raise it within the next 2 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

If I was a landlord, I'd be waiting until January to raise the rent. The market rate will have risen sharply in the previous 2 months meaning that they can lock in a higher rate for themselves, as many landlords as the op says are rushing to increase rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Selik

I've been currently reviewing the rent with my tenants and proposed a modest increase while still keeping the rent below market, with the last review being in October 2014 with the rent changing in January 2015.

We've been back and forth over a few emails the last weeks with some haggling but not firm agreement as of yet. They are now asking if the rent freeze applies here to their current rent, which was agreed in October 2014 and came into effect in January 2015. I don't think it does and that the new agreed amount now that we're scheduling to come into effect in January 2016 will be the frozen amount. Is there anyway to clarify this definitively?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,793 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

There is no rent freeze as such. There are changes proposed but there is nothing in law.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Selik

There is no rent freeze as such. There are changes proposed but there is nothing in law.

Yes correct, however would I be incorrect to assume that the timeline I'm working off is based on "when" the rent has last been reviewed and agreed (ie Oct 2014) rather than the actual month the increase kicks in?

Advertisement