Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent Increase thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Selik

cat_<3 wrote: »
    Yes i got the letter at the end of November

Then it should technically be valid as long as the last review was end of November 2014 or earlier.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Giles wrote: »
    Then it should technically be valid as long as the last review was end of November 2014 or earlier.

That echoes my original thinking, which was the latest increase notification is not valid because:
    cat_<3 wrote: »
    we are getting a rent increase after we had gotten one last jan 2015.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Chryan

After posting on this forum, I emailed Threshold and PRTB to ask what they thought of the 4th Dec cut off date for a rent review in Mid January (I moved in Jan 2015 so that is considered to be rent review date i think). Threshold said that my property agents letter was invalud as he shouldnt be reviewing my rent until after 12 months of when I moved in. But they put in disclaimer that it was their intrepretation and I should ask PRTB or file a dispute. I called PRTB and they were very vague and I gathered they basically said the agent could increase my rent since the date was 2nd Dec on the letter.
    Anyway, as a last attempt I sent the threshold and PRTB links to my property agent where they say that a rent review cannot happen if you have taken a lease in 2015 . My agent immediately agreed and there has been no increase this time. I dont know if I was just lucky or if the agent knew he was wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭boardfriek

UPDATE: Meanwhile I received my notice. Rent is going up 300 Euro´s (!!!) from beginning of June. I am shocked and frustrated that the government is allowing such hike as this is NOT reflected on my pay-slip. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

boardfriek wrote: »
    UPDATE: Meanwhile I received my notice. Rent is going up 300 Euro´s (!!!) from beginning of June. I am shocked and frustrated that the government is allowing such hike as this is NOT reflected on my pay-slip. :mad:

The rent increase has nothing to do with your pay slip but with the supply and demand. As I previously advised, you can negotiate to minimise the rent increase. If the landlord values you as a tenant, they will be happy to come to a compromise.

• Advertisement

I hear what your are saying. My point is that working my ass off just to be able to pay the rent is not my idea of living. If rents and cost of living is going up it should be reflected in the wages (IMHO).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

I hear what your are saying. My point is that working my ass off just to be able to pay the rent is not my idea of living. If rents and cost of living is going up it should be reflected in the wages (IMHO).

And the supply and demand curves will remain the same but everyone will have more money to spend thus the price goes up even further. More money doesn't solve your problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,726 ✭✭✭SteM

The government contributed to that hike with their last set of regulation changes imo. Landlords not being able to increase rent for 2 years has prompted them to look at what they are charging vs the local market and maxamise their income.

By the way, if your rent is going up by €300 then you should consider yourself lucky in a sense. It seems you have been paying way below market rate for a while now. If the €300 increase puts your property outside local market rate then lodge a complaint with the PRTB.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Butters1979

What's the government got to do with your rent or your pay?

I understand government should be working on policy to increase supply, but while demand continues to also increase, so will rent. If the landlord can get someone else to take that apartment for more, and someone else out there wants an apartment and is willing to pay that much, why should you not pay rent at a competitive level if you want to keep it? Do you genuinely expect rent to stay in line with inflation regardless of supply?

From your posts, it seems like you are not originally from Ireland. There are a lot jobs in Dublin, which attracts a lot of foreign workers. Nothing wrong with that by the way.

But don't expect to migrate to a city for a job, and not expect to compete with the growing population looking for accommodation which goes with a city with a lot of jobs.

I think that the shortterm thinking and greedness is going to hurt this country in the long run as people with expertise and language skills will not come here because of the cost of living. This is how I see it.

• Advertisement

murphaph wrote: »
    Ah the old Dublin v Everywhere else in the whole country post.

Are there too many jobs in Cork City and Galway City too? Maybe Pfizer should relocate to wherever you live, to spread the butter around a bit more, eh?

The very last thing Ireland needs is less focus on our (terribly neglected, when compared to the rest of Europe!!) cities. Dublin has absolutely appalling public transport for a city its size. Same goes for our other large urban centres.

The reality is that not that many jobs can be done remotely in a genuinely productive way.

I don't think working remotely is what he was getting at. What needs to happen imo is that as many jobs as possible should be diverted away from Dublin to the outskirts of Cork, Galway and Limerick. I agree opening a business in the middle of nowhere doesn't make much sense but moving to the outskirts of the other cities makes a lot of sense as it opens up the employment to large areas of the counties and surrounding counties.

Moving it outside the cities to industrial estates means there is loads of parking so people don't have to live in the cities which have very limited availability and high cost. Instead they can live in towns or the country side (or in the city if they wish) and commute to work. Keeping it outside the city means traffic is much less also and even people who want to live in the city are travelling against traffic when travelling out to work.

This model works far far better away from Dublin imo and its what we should be pushing for. Locating a big factory outside Galway city for example enable people living in large areas of Mayo, Most of country Galway even as far as Athlone, even some parts of Roscommon and Clare to commute to work while living in areas where they are from or where rents are much cheaper. Traffic is much less and commutes much easier than the equivalent situation around Dublin and people are not being forced to move away from where they are from to work.
    I think that the shortterm thinking and greedness is going to hurt this country in the long run as people with expertise and language skills will not come here because of the cost of living. This is how I see it.

A business person maximizing their profits within the laws is not being greedy is called running a business. It's no different than you wanting to get an increase in your wages at work except LLs are in a position to demand it at this moment in time while you may not be.

I'm not a property owner, I was just stating the facts. Renting is a business and rents were on the low side over the last few years, now I would agree that they are going too high now due to lack of supply but this does not make a LL greedy for maximising their profit.

In any business when things get into short supply the prices go up people just don't notice or don't talk about it.

In any business when things get into short supply the prices go up people just don't notice or don't talk about it.

With the only difference that my rent never came down during the times when rents were low (yes I had the discussion). So there was really only one direction in my case.

.....Yeah yeah....I know....Just move somewhere else if you are not happy.

With the only difference that my rent never came down during the times when rents were low. So there was really only one direction in my case.

.....Yeah yeah....I know....Just move somewhere else if you are not happy.

When rents went down you should have either asked for a decrease if you wanted to stay or else move if you were happy enough to do that.

There was loads of supply a few years ago it was nothing like now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

You were on the right track the first post.
    ...I wonder if the goverment is wanting to do something about this since most likely nobody is gonna get a pay raise at the same level...

The answer is nothing. They've done nothing for years.

We've had this crisis for a long time.
    Whereas 2011 saw almost 60,000 rental properties listed over the course of the year - a little over half of all rental properties in the capital - the last 12 months have seen just 35,000 listed.
    we have ended up with a rental market where tenants are afraid to move.

https://www.daft.ie/report/ronan-lyons-2015q1-rental

Similar issue in Germany

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/aug/19/berlin-rent-cap-starts-to-bite

http://www.citylab.com/housing/2016/02/berlin-rent-control-cbre-report/458700/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

If you move to somewhere with a housing crisis you have to accept there will be problems.

https://www.expatistan.com/cost-of-living/index/europe

beauf wrote: »

Funny to see Cork being put into perspective with major real european cities. Can´t help it...have to giggle ;)
    Cork is nowhere near to any of these listed cities....well except of the cost of rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,726 ✭✭✭SteM

Funny to see Cork being put into perspective with major real european cities. Can´t help it...have to giggle ;)
    Cork is nowhere near to any of these listed cities....well except of the cost of rent.

I don't see what you're getting at. It's the second city of a country that has a high cost of living. That's all the index is supposed to show. There's a reason that 5 of the top 10 cities are Swiss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Boardfriek - the Government have no impetus to sort this out. Anywhere up to 50% of your rent is paid back into the Government in tax. They need that money to keep the country running. I'm afraid your generation of renters has been well and truly shafted. No one except renters want this sorted and most of them only maintain an interest for as long as they're renting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Butters1979

"I'm in an economy where stuff I want (and so do a lot of others) is going up in price. Government should increase my pay check. I can't believe they aren't increasing my pay check"

Sorry OP, I agree rents are getting really high and we need to do something about supply, but your expectations that your rent should not increase if your pay doesn't is way off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭gambler12

My landlord increased my rent in September of last year, and I signed a new 12 month lease. I know that from the new rules that came in at the end of last year, landlords cannot put up the price of their rent again for 2 years from the last increase. But would this apply to me eventhough my lease is only for one year? If it did apply to me, what's to stop my landlord from refusing to offer me a new lease when the current one is up, and just start a new lease with another tenant on a higher rate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

People need to understand that Part IV's are not negated by fixed term leases. The Part IV remains in place, you're just saying that you'll stay there another year and not give notice under your Part IV rights. TBH fixed term tenancies are more trouble than they're worth, just get people to sign a lease with Part IV in mind and leave it at that. If people move out then pick one of the 100 other people willing to rent the gaffe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Clampdown

"I'm in an economy where stuff I want (and so do a lot of others) is going up in price. Government should increase my pay check. I can't believe they aren't increasing my pay check"

Sorry OP, I agree rents are getting really high and we need to do something about supply, but your expectations that your rent should not increase if your pay doesn't is way off.

Well I would argue that a roof over your head is not just 'stuff people want' We're talking about a basic human need, not the latest Iphone.

If we allow things to go the way they are Dublin and eventually the other cities in Ireland will be like San Francisco where anyone who doesn't work for Google or Facebook or comes from a family with money will be forced out. All you're left with then is a city of cyber-nerds who all want to talk about the app they're developing and wannabe Instagram celebs and other manner of spoiled awful humans. Already a large portion of creative people from Ireland and the UK who add a lot of flavor to urban areas have defected to Germany, while our nurses and teachers are all in Australia and Canada.

We need a better system, I don't have the solution myself but I think it's wrong that those of us who can't afford a down payment or get approved for a mortgage are at the mercy of rich property owners and real estate investors, because they are not showing any mercy, they are motivated by pure greed and are victimizing tenants left right and centre with ridiculous increased on tiny craphole flats. It shouldn't be survival of the richest when it comes to shelter. But capitalism is as capitalism does.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭housetypeb

Always with the talk of landlords being greedy.They run a business and have a right to raise rents to what the market will support,it would be bad business if they didn't,especially in a time of low supply and high demand.
    Just like petrol prices go up and down based on supply.
    If somebody agree's to pay the higher rent why should the landlord worry about some other Joe public who can't afford to? They're not social workers,it's a business that they pay more than enough tax on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

Clampdown wrote: »
    I think it's wrong that those of us who can't afford a down payment or get approved for a mortgage are at the mercy of rich property owners and real estate investors, because they are not showing any mercy, they are motivated by pure greed and are victimizing tenants left right and centre with ridiculous increased on tiny craphole flats. It shouldn't be survival of the richest when it comes to shelter. But capitalism is as capitalism does.

Buy what you can affords. You can't afford to live in the city, live in another town. I see houses in other parts of Ireland that cost less than the deposit for a house in South Dublin. Buy what you can affords. Ireland is small! It takes as long to commute to Department Social Welfares from Athlone as from Rathfarnham

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 311 ✭✭Silverbling

It takes as long to commute to Department Social Welfares from Athlone as from Rathfarnham

But a lot longer to get to school by 8.15 to study your leaving cert course if you are aiming for a med degree

These kids are the ones who will be funding your pension, you can't just move them down the country because their mother has lived in the area for 30 years and now can't afford the rent

Common sense should be a compulsory course for politicions

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

It takes as long to commute to Department Social Welfares from Athlone as from Rathfarnham

But a lot longer to get to school by 8.15 to study your leaving cert course if you are aiming for a med degree

These kids are the ones who will be funding your pension, you can't just move them down the country because their mother has lived in the area for 30 years and now can't afford the rent

Common sense should be a compulsory course for politicions
    Add your reply here.

Its not up to the tax payer to pay for someones prefered location. If the public are paying for accomadation you should go where it is or do without

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

A business person maximizing their profits within the laws is not being greedy is called running a business. It's no different than you wanting to get an increase in your wages at work except LLs are in a position to demand it at this moment in time while you may not be.

Are you aware of what the government did to landlords when rents were dropping? They increased taxes and property tax.I distinctly remember telling people is would comeback on the tenants at some point. People didn't care and were all for landlords suffering and taking as much tax and penalties as possible.

My point at the time was it would increase rents down the line when supply became limited as property investment stopped. When I pointed out landlords were needed there was noting but ridicule. Here we are with rent increases as landlords come back after surviving the times when tenants would laughed at extra charges, negative equity and landlords subsidizing their rent.

Now I actually have sympathy about people squeezed by rent increases but I can't help point out this was predictable. The ERSI said it would happen.

Here you are saying landlords can just randomly pick a time to increase rents with no regard t salaries. Pretty sure you didn't care about the landlords increasing expenditure. The landlords had no choice on the extra expenses which is just the same as a pay cut. SO you aren't apply your logic to the other side of the coin and wouldn't at the time either

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Mod note

Canadel this is the rent increase thread. Any more off topic posts will result in cards.

Advertisement