Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent Increase thread

Options

Comments

My advise is dont give the I never paid rent late etc.... it's what is required.... And dont be an ass

I'd have said it was abundantly clear from the poster's posting style that this wouldn't be an issue. It reads very much like they're prepared to pay more than they are currently, but are simply wondering if it is acceptable to haggle in the situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

April 73 wrote: »
    Also point out that for every €100 you pay him he will only keep €52 and the government get an extra €48.

You're assuming first of all that the landlord has no accumulated losses on rental property or other reliefs which can be offset against the rent and secondly that the landlord is actually paying tax at the higher rate.

If a tenant said something like that to me, I'd advise them to mind their own business and let me worry about my own tax affairs. Actually, the fact that the state may be taking so much of the increase could serve to encourage the landlord to seek the highest rent possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

I'd have said it was abundantly clear from the poster's posting style that this wouldn't be an issue. It reads very much like they're prepared to pay more than they are currently, but are simply wondering if it is acceptable to haggle in the situation.

If you dont ask you dont get.. But the OP should know what they want before talking.

If you dont ask you dont get.. But the OP should know what they want before talking.

They do :confused:, a €100 discount.

This was they question they asked, the previous information was background about the state of the relationship between the landlord and tenant which is useful in answering the question!
    boardfriek wrote: »
    I would really appreciate any last minute tips to help in my negotiations. My goal is to[ed] not negotiate a discount of 100 Euro´s per month. Does that seem reasonable? Thanks in advance for constructive feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭boardfriek

My advise is dont give the I never paid rent late etc.... it's what is required.... And dont be an ass

Fair point. I am fully aware of this is being one of my duties.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

It sounds like you've done you're homework around the market rate and from your posts it appears you're approaching the whole thing with the right attitude.

Best of luck with your negotiations later today.

Correct. I am not living in a dreamworld. I have been given a great place to live and did not see an increase for some time and it´s apreciated. I kind of seen the writing on the wall. However I was shocked by the increase level.

April 73 wrote: »
    In Northern Ireland its a legal requirement for a gas boiler to be serviced yearly & a safety cert to be issued in rental properties. It is the LL's responsibility.

If a landlord here has any sense (or decency) they will get a gas boiler serviced every year & keep the records. Imagine if there was a CO issue & someone died for the sake of €70 or €80 which is a tax write-off anyway?

If I owned the house (and lived in it or rented it out) I wouldn't get a boiler serviced every year as its total overkill imo and not required. To put it into context, I asked my LL to get the boiler serviced in my current place last year after I'd been living there a year but the previous service was 2005 so I thought that was fair, no chance I'd be back asking for another service this year.

Overly strict rules in another country are not a reason to follow them here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Its more about covering yourself in terms of liability in case there was a problem. Particularly with Gas boilers.

10yrs is nuts.

beauf wrote: »
    Its more about covering yourself in terms of liability in case there was a problem. Particularly with Gas boilers.

10yrs is nuts.

10 years was far too long yes but the LL will obvious only do it if asked particularity as its a shared house with regular tenant changes so something like a boiler is never even really thought about by many people living there. Every 3 years would be a reasonable time frame in my opinion, its what I would be doing it was my own boiler in a house I was living in so wouldn't expect a LL to do it more often or entertain a tenant asking for it to be done more often were I a LL. This is of course once its running ok, obviously if its running badly it needs to be looked at.

The boiler in the house I rent in now was running just as well before the service as after too I might add, there was nothing wrong with it but it was no harm to have it serviced after so long (I'm going by the last service sticker by the way, there is a chance it was done in the mean time but as there are stickers for a service in 2005, for one or two previous services and one for the new service I reckon it wasn't done in the mean time).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

10 years was far too long yes but the LL will obvious only do it if asked particularity as its a shared house with regular tenant changes so something like a boiler is never even really thought about by many people living there. Every 3 years would be a reasonable time frame in my opinion, its what I would be doing it was my own boiler in a house I was living in so wouldn't expect a LL to do it more often or entertain a tenant asking for it to be done more often were I a LL. This is of course once its running ok, obviously if its running badly it needs to be looked at.

The boiler in the house I rent in now was running just as well before the service as after too I might add, there was nothing wrong with it but it was no harm to have it serviced after so long (I'm going by the last service sticker by the way, there is a chance it was done in the mean time but as there are stickers for a service in 2005, for one or two previous services and one for the new service I reckon it wasn't done in the mean time).

Services are preventive measures, you don't just do them when something goes wrong. You should service a gas boiler as per the manufacturers instructions, which is usually once every year or tow. They are not expensive to service. Nothing worse then the heating system crapping out in winter on a Sunday, or around xmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

Services are preventive measures, you don't just do them when something goes wrong. You should service a gas boiler as per the manufacturers instructions, which is usually once every year or tow. They are not expensive to service. Nothing worse then the heating system crapping out in winter on a Sunday, or around xmas.

Regular servicing helps maintain fuel efficiency too, so it pays for itself.

....The boiler in the house I rent in now was running just as well before the service as after to...

The only way to know this is to have the reading for the emissions. The boiler might "run" well, heat house and water. But be putting out toxic fumes.

I know a few people who's carbon monoxide detectors have gone off, and its been traced back to a boiler.

I understand its preventative, but I still think every year for a boiler particularity if is not being used too much is over the top (which would be the case where I live as we use it very little to keep bills cheap/house is often empty at weekends and during holidays as people go home)

If you have the thing running 24/7 then they will obviously need more servicing but its not a hard rule by any means.

Anyway as this is gone off topic my main point in all this was servicing every year is not required imo and is an overly strict rule in the north.

I think you are largely missing the preventative point in terms of safety and inconvenience.

Or indeed any experience where a failure has massively inconvenienced, or caused a large expense.

Interesting to read all of the posts really.

To give you an update. I will have called a meeting with my landlord for tomorrow and I will use the chance to discuss the raise of the rent (what can I loose?).

In relation to the above mentioned. I told him that I would like two discuss one or two things in person and I am wondering if should give him a quick ring to basically don´t leave him in the total dark before he come in later on (?). I think he could kind of guess what the story is but I am just wondering if it would be more respectful to say I will want to discuss such an such just as an FYI. Or would I shoot myself in the foot with this?

Id say nothing until you meet him.

In relation to the above mentioned. I told him that I would like two discuss one or two things in person and I am wondering if should give him a quick ring to basically don´t leave him in the total dark before he come in later on (?). I think he could kind of guess what the story is but I am just wondering if it would be more respectful to say I will want to discuss such an such just as an FYI. Or would I shoot myself in the foot with this?

No point in overthinking it.

When he comes round offer him a quick inspection of the place, talk about anything that might need doing over the coming months if there are any expected stuff that he can be prepared for etc.

Then say that you've considered the updated rent request and would he have any objection to maybe revising them downwards a bit as its quite the jump in one go. Mention that you're happy to pay an increased figure, but think that €300 is stretching it a bit, and ask would he be up for meeting you half way on it. Give him the chance to take a bit more and see what he says.

I wouldn't bother thinking too much longer on it tbh. It's really not a big deal, he's asking for a price, you're asking for a discount, nobody will be shot if nothing happens.

I wouldn't bother thinking too much longer on it tbh. It's really not a big deal, he's asking for a price, you're asking for a discount, nobody will be shot if nothing happens.

Alright. Thanks for the quick answer. There one more think which I don´t really know how to address in today´s meeting. The policy in the initial rent agreement stated that pets are not allowed in the premises without written permission. The new neighbours recently moved in with a dog which they only take out once a night in the back garden as I figured. So I send him an email making him aware of the facts plus attached a picture showing the dog sh...ing in the garden. Apart from the barking I felt I would need to bring this to his attention as I would not wanted to be in the position having to admit that I knew the dog being there without permission. After sending a reminder he came back saying that if the dog would cause a nuisance I would need to address this with the owner. I wondering why I would need to do this as the dog should not be there in the first place according to the rental agreement. I had send him a message right after they moved in asking if the NO-Pet-Policy still exists ... and he confirmed.

No. Don't mention anyone else's issues. They've got nothing to do with your agreement with your landlord, that is what you are negotiating. I wouldn't be negative about anything at all!

Keep it simple, you are happy to pay more, but would prefer if it wasn't quite as much as he has requested. Is there any chance that he'd consider a slightly lower amount.

• Advertisement

Alright. Thanks for the quick answer. There one more think which I don´t really know how to address in today´s meeting. The policy in the initial rent agreement stated that pets are not allowed in the premises without written permission. The new neighbours recently moved in with a dog which they only take out once a night in the back garden as I figured. So I send him an email making him aware of the facts plus attached a picture showing the dog sh...ing in the garden. Apart from the barking I felt I would need to bring this to his attention as I would not wanted to be in the position having to admit that I knew the dog being there without permission. After sending a reminder he came back saying that if the dog would cause a nuisance I would need to address this with the owner. I wondering why I would need to do this as the dog should not be there in the first place according to the rental agreement. I had send him a message right after they moved in asking if the NO-Pet-Policy still exists ... and he confirmed.

Your neighbour having a dog has nothing to do with your rental agreement.

Your neighbour having a dog has nothing to do with your rental agreement.

Only partially agree here. One of the main reasons taking this house was the statement that no pets would be allowed in the neighbourhood. I had to deal with this before. So was happy to hear that there would be no issues. I wonder why there would obviously be double standards even thought he said the policy is still in place (?)

...no pets would be allowed in the neighbourhood....

How could any LL enforce that unless they owned the entire neighbourhood and had warden to police it. Its up there with blue M&Ms.

beauf wrote: »
    How could any LL enforce that unless they owned the entire neighbourhood and had warden to police it. Its up there with blue M&Ms.

He owns the buildings attached left and right to my side ;). So he can make a decision in this case.

3 building is not a neighbourhood

He owns the buildings attached left and right to my side ;). So he can make a decision in this case.

That changes things in fairness, but if he decides not to enforce his own rules there isn't much you can do about it.

If the dog isn't a nuisance legally, then I would bring nothing up whatsoever with the landlord about it. It has nothing to do with you unless it raises legal issues.

There's a decent chance that that tenant asked politely and was allowed to keep a dog (given that the landlord clearly knows about it).

Calling your landlord's goodwill into question whilst trying to get some goodwill off of him would be suicide!

Seriously, no negativity, you are quite simply asking him to consider a smaller increase than he has asked for based on the positive benefits that you staying as a tenant offers him.

Hi all,

Quick update from my side. I had the meeting and cannot say much at this very moment. I started with thanking him for giving me the opportunity to stay in his place and enjoying it so far and of course acknowledge the current situation and the fact that for him the business as a builder war really not great (to say the least) and with putting additional cost on his shoulders such as the property tax did not really made it any better. Futher I admitted to having seen the writing on the wall and rent would not stay forever on the same level. However I was kind of shocked when I saw the hike and with todays meeting I was hoping to come to an agreement which would possibly both make us kind of happy with him getting more money and giving me a opportunity to stay. He said he cannot say anything unless I come up with an offer. So I went with meeting halfway because I felt It would have caused some offence starting with 1000 Euros. Atmosphere was quite relaxed and we exchanged our points of view. I went further offering 1100 in the end as I could see he wassn´t wanting to give me a plain "NO". To cut a long story short.....he said hat he would think it over and let me know at the beginning of next week. He confirmed (without me pointing to it) that there where never any issues and everything was fine with having me as a tenant. I guess I will have to wait and see the outcome. Thanks again for everyone giving their recommendations.

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭April 73

Good luck. Hope it works out for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭orlyice

Looking for a it of advice, renting a house for just over 2 years, initially a 12 month lease, happy here. Ll called in Feb for inspection, everything grand, said he was thinking of increasing rent to €700 (currently pay €600). I Said would chat with husband and will talk about it again, he said he wasn't going to increase it straightaway, I told him he needs to give us 3 months notice. He went away and that was the end of it.

Called again during the week, asked did we talk about rent increase, I told him I felt it was too high, offered to increase €650, he said €675, still wouldn't be covering his costs, he said would be in contact, rang husband next day, wanted 675 from May, we talked it over and said we would pay €675 but would be from July as 3 months notice needed, this was in a text, heard nothing since. We did not receive a written notice.

During negotiations he mentioned he was talking to estate agents and would get up to €850 for a 4 bed in town, now looking at daft there are some fab houses in town going for that price, not where we are. Also in 2015 average rental price according to prtb website was €€600 for 4 bed semi in our town. Also there is a massive problem with sewage in garden, every so often it come up thru a manhole cover and husband has to use the rods and clear it, disgusting job. First time it happened I rang ll and he showed husband how to fix it, said it happened every 6 months r so, well has happened 3 times since xmas. During negotiations I told ll that we wouldn't be willing to fix it if rent went up that much and will have to call him every time it happens. We were being nice by fixing it as he lives 20 minutes away and disgusting and all as it is, it is a 15 minute job. While talking to my husband he made a personal comment which was uncalled for. Starting to dislike him a lot more now. He also sent me a few nasty texts last summer because post that arrived on for them wasn't forwarded. I explained we hadn't been at the house in weeks as our very sick child had been transferred to temple street and we were there for the past few weeks. His reply was to ask if he could go into the house to look for it. I told him no and my sister was calling to check on the house that evening would have a look. His post wasn't really high on my priority list at the time.

So my questions are

Do we have to fix the sewage from now on, I know we set a precedent by doing it initially but we were being nice and now the ll has turned out to be not so nice would it be unreasonable to call him every time? Also didn't mind doing it when rent was reasonable but not with rent increase. Are we being unreasonable?

Also we still don't really want to pay 675, it's a bit excessive, we made a mistake agreeing to it, we really can't afford it, I'm not working as I'm carer for sick child ( not ll problem I know) but when it's so much over the average for 2015 in the town. Technically we have not received adequate notice but then we agreed to it. Really don't need stress of this right now. Also worth noting we are excellent tenants, never late with rent, have rang him twice in two years over things in house, we don't bother him for every little thing.

Advertisement