Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent Increase thread

Options
1789101113»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭April 73

Everyone feels annoyed when their bills increase whether that's a tenant who is asked for an increase in rent or someone with a mortgage when interest rates increase. It's human nature not to want to have to pay more.

I don't think the increase is excessive. Sounds like it's within the market rate for the area & the ll agreed to accept less than he initially wanted. I'm not really sure what the issue is, other than the fact that you have to pay more.

Refusing to clean the pipe blockage because the LL increased the rent sounds a bit school-yard tit-for-tat to me. I'd just buy two-ply toilet paper to try & cut down on the risk of the pipes getting blocked in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

orlyice wrote: »

During negotiations he mentioned he was talking to estate agents and would get up to €850 for a 4 bed in town, now looking at daft there are some fab houses in town going for that price, not where we are. Also in 2015 average rental price according to prtb website was €€600 for 4 bed semi in our town. Also there is a massive problem with sewage in garden, every so often it come up thru a manhole cover and husband has to use the rods and clear it, disgusting job. First time it happened I rang ll and he showed husband how to fix it, said it happened every 6 months r so, well has happened 3 times since xmas. During negotiations I told ll that we wouldn't be willing to fix it if rent went up that much and will have to call him every time it happens. We were being nice by fixing it as he lives 20 minutes away and disgusting and all as it is, it is a 15 minute job. While talking to my husband he made a personal comment which was uncalled for. Starting to dislike him a lot more now. He also sent me a few nasty texts last summer because post that arrived on for them wasn't forwarded. I explained we hadn't been at the house in weeks as our very sick child had been transferred to temple street and we were there for the past few weeks. His reply was to ask if he could go into the house to look for it. I told him no and my sister was calling to check on the house that evening would have a look. His post wasn't really high on my priority list at the time.

So my questions are

Do we have to fix the sewage from now on, I know we set a precedent by doing it initially but we were being nice and now the ll has turned out to be not so nice would it be unreasonable to call him every time? Also didn't mind doing it when rent was reasonable but not with rent increase. Are we being unreasonable?

Also we still don't really want to pay 675, it's a bit excessive, we made a mistake agreeing to it, we really can't afford it, I'm not working as I'm carer for sick child ( not ll problem I know) but when it's so much over the average for 2015 in the town. Technically we have not received adequate notice but then we agreed to it. Really don't need stress of this right now. Also worth noting we are excellent tenants, never late with rent, have rang him twice in two years over things in house, we don't bother him for every little thing.

Firstly that PRTB market trends thing is not accurate. I would love where I could find a 2 bedroom apartment in Dublin City for the prices they quote on the website. They are generally about 10-15% lower than the average market rent. I wouldnt take the PRTB website as gospel. Have you seen what the rent for other houses in the area are?

Honestly if you arent happy with the rent increase and you think you can find a cheaper house elsewhere, then you should move.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 311 ✭✭Silverbling

[QUOTE='d just buy two-ply toilet paper to try & cut down on the risk of the pipes getting blocked in the first place.[/QUOTE]

why should any tenant trade quilted loo roll for 2 ply because their landlords drains get blocked?

there are some things in life that are worth scrimping and saving for, toilet roll is one of them, unless the landlord wants to provide a free supply of Izal then he needs to pay to get his drains fixed or the falls adusted

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭orlyice

April 73 wrote: »

I don't think the increase is excessive. Sounds like it's within the market rate for the area & the ll agreed to accept less than he initially wanted. I'm not really sure what the issue is, other than the fact that you have to pay more.

Refusing to clean the pipe blockage because the LL increased the rent sounds a bit school-yard tit-for-tat to me. I'd just buy two-ply toilet paper to try & cut down on the risk of the pipes getting blocked in the first place.

I agree the ll agreed to take less than what he initially wanted. The issue is that he isn't comparing like with like. There has only been one house similar to ours for rent in the same estate advertised for rent in the last 12 months, it was advertised for €700, but from the pics looked in a lot better condition, did not view the house so I can't say for definite what it was like. Also it may have been rented for less than what was asked for it, that seems to be the trend in the town we live in. Wish I had a screenshot of it now. Other similar houses in the same town are in a nicer area, closer to town and other amenities.

It's a little more than a pipe blockage, sewage comes up thru the manhole. There is sewage in the garden that my husband has to clean up. We were told it happened every 6 months or so but has happened more regularly. We were also told it happens when the downstairs look is used a lot. We never use that loo. And as for the toilet paper, I think it's reasonable to expect to use any toilet paper and not see it appear in the back garden. It's not really our responsibility to sort the sewage, we did it not to be dragging the ll out every time. But it is happening too often now, none of the neighbours have problems.

I know it might seem silly to be arguing over €25 in rent increase but as I am not working at the moment so things are very tight. We offered €650 and we really think that is a more fair increase.
    newacc2015 wrote: »
    Firstly that PRTB market trends thing is not accurate. I would love where I could find a 2 bedroom apartment in Dublin City for the prices they quote on the website. They are generally about 10-15% lower than the average market rent. I wouldnt take the PRTB website as gospel. Have you seen what the rent for other houses in the area are?

Honestly if you arent happy with the rent increase and you think you can find a cheaper house elsewhere, then you should move.

Wasn't aware of that newacc, I assumed that figure on the prtb website would be accurate. Good to know. As I said above the only one I seen in this estate in last 12 months was advertised for €700 and was in better condition. And I assume they don't have the problems with the drains! There isn't any houses in this estate for rent at the moment. Don't want to move, despite everything with drains we like where we are, have nice neighbours and have made the house more homely and suits our needs. I know I can't have it every way but we feel the increase is too high. We would have agreed to €650 if that is what he wanted.

Forgot to mention that ll said to my husband he wanted €700 long term, even though we didn't get the proper notice of increase in rent to €675, I take it that he can't increase it for another 2 years?

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭dreamerb

It's a little more than a pipe blockage, sewage comes up thru the manhole. There is sewage in the garden that my husband has to clean up. We were told it happened every 6 months or so but has happened more regularly. We were also told it happens when the downstairs look is used a lot. We never use that loo. And as for the toilet paper, I think it's reasonable to expect to use any toilet paper and not see it appear in the back garden. It's not really our responsibility to sort the sewage, we did it not to be dragging the ll out every time. But it is happening too often now, none of the neighbours have problems.

This might be to do with the falls, as silverbling suggests, or it's possible you're at the end of a row for sewage going into the mains. That means if there's a back-up, it backs-up to you. I used to live in a house at the end of a terrace, and one of the neighbours would come round every so often with plumbing rods because their house backed up before anyone else. Didn't happen as often as you describe, but there are areas where it happens - and if that's the case, the actual problem may be a few houses away from you. Just a thought!

It also shouldn't be something you have to sort out, in my opinion, and I think the landlord should recognise that in the rent charged. It may be a relatively small job, but it's not pleasant. And he should also be trying to resolve it properly.
    Wasn't aware of that newacc, I assumed that figure on the prtb website would be accurate.
    [...]
    Forgot to mention that ll said to my husband he wanted €700 long term, even though we didn't get the proper notice of increase in rent to €675, I take it that he can't increase it for another 2 years?
    I'm not sure quite how the PRTB give their figures, but I'm sure they are below open market from areas I'm aware of - most likely, I think, because at least some landlords renewing tenancies aren't bringing them up to full market price.

And yes, he can't increase it for another 2 years unless the legislation is changed again.

Good luck...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

Well you could file with the PRTB over not getting 90 days notice. But I woudnt piss him off over €50 if you want to have a good reference in the future. Personally I would take the rent increase and look for other properties in the area ASAP. Move if you find something better

IMO the drain needs to be blasted by a company such as dyno-rod. Drain pipes can only do so much. Dyno-rod might fix the issue

Your rent cant be increased for 2 years.

The sewage issue sounds worse than it did in your original post & your landlord should get it sorted out properly.

why should any tenant trade quilted loo roll for 2 ply because their landlords drains get blocked?

there are some things in life that are worth scrimping and saving for, toilet roll is one of them, unless the landlord wants to provide a free supply of Izal then he needs to pay to get his drains fixed or the falls adusted

Yes with further clarification the drainage problem is worth than it initially sounded & he should fix it.
    Two-ply or just non-quilted isn't like being asked to use newspaper though!

If there are similar properties available for similar prices nearby, I'd be looking at moving, and soon.

Simply would not be interested in having that level of drama and effort in my life.

If the house is sensational and you were getting it at a steal of a price, perhaps I'd bother. But it sounds like you think it was poor value before (considering the snags) and even worse value now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Drains are the responsibility of the tenant as such needs to sort this issue themselves. If whether they are using is Blocking the pipes. ...common sence would dictate to stop using it.

• Advertisement

Drains are the responsibility of the tenant as such needs to sort this issue themselves. If whether they are using is Blocking the pipes. ...common sence would dictate to stop using it.

No they aren't. It's clearly a landlord responsibility to maintain the property and services unless otherwise specified in the rental contract.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

dreamerb wrote: »
    No they aren't. It's clearly a landlord responsibility to maintain the property and services unless otherwise specified in the rental contract.

If the tenant, as I've experienced myself, is pouring grease or other material down the drain which blocks it, they have some responsibility too.

gizmo555 wrote: »
    If the tenant, as I've experienced myself, is pouring grease or other material down the drain which blocks it, they have some responsibility too.

Oh sure, but there's no suggestion this is what's happening here or that the landlord has taken steps to identify the problem.

As a matter of interest, in your own case, did you charge the tenant for the repair or simply warn them they'd be liable if there was any recurrence?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

New landlord wants to put the rent up but she won't disclose by how much. Do we have 28 days from now (because she told us she wants to increase) or 28 days from when she tells us the new figure?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

gizmo555 wrote: »

The post by the OP suggest that the problem existed before the OP/Tenants moved in and the LL was clearly aware of it. The LL should be fixing it, and not saying it happens every 6 months.

I had a LL like this, knew of issues, did half arsed fixes on them, complained when things were offered to be fixed and then tried shafting us on rent and deposit.

No problem with the LL here asking for an increase, and sounds agreeable, but any increase demand should be countered with a "fix these issues" demand too.

New landlord wants to put the rent up but she won't disclose by how much. Do we have 28 days from now (because she told us she wants to increase) or 28 days from when she tells us the new figure?

You have 90 days notice from when she provides you with a written notification of the increase before it can kick-in.
    This is only providing the last increase occurred before the 1st of Jan 2015.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭orlyice

Thanks everyone for the advice, we are going to pay the rent increase of 675 and from june. we dont want to have to move, we really like it here. we used to get on so well with the LL, would have a cuppa with us anything he called over for anything. last few dealings with him have been a bit sour. we painted some of the rooms a while ago (we got permission) to make it more homely for us, the walls were looking a bit tired but we did that ourselves and bought the paint ourselves. husband has fixed a lot of little things that have broke in the house. what i am trying to say i think we are good tenants and dont cause any trouble, rent paid on time and we look after the house. maybe we should look at getting the LL over to do more, instead of doing it ourselves. The roof of the shed after it was damaged in a storm ages ago, he had been over around the time it happened and said he would call back to fix it. never did and when he called again 6 months later asked my husband did he not get a chance to fix it!

our LL is out of the country for a while, didnt say how long and may not have access to his phone, we asked for an alternative contact incase anything went wrong, he didnt reply. so guess we have no choice but to fix the drains ourselves if they are an issue in the coming weeks. hope nothing else goes wrong!

just want to clarify this, we arent putting anything in the drains. we use normal toilet paper, none of the fancy quilted stuff but we dont use the very cheap stuff, apparently it doesnt break down in the drains or something like that. there are only 2 people using the toilets in the house, and there is a huge problem. i would hate to think what it would be like if there were more, it is a 4 bed house. there was issues when he lived here himself which is a good few years ago. someone mentioned about the fall, we are the second last house in a row, the last house has absolutely no issues.

thanks again everyone for the advice and thoughts. always good to get opinions from others.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭sabinalee

Hi all,

Just wanted to share and listen to your advice ...

Yesterday we got 3 bad news in one go.. from our LL.

We are in the house from 2007, 9 years. We never had any issues together and he always was saying ...this is your house now, do what you want, I will keep that house till I retired.... So we did....care like for our own one. Family of 4 with a dog :)

Yesterday landlord informed us, that:

- he increased rent to the market value and rent will be 350 euro more to pay ! We got 3 months notice.
    - from November 1st, when rent price will be 1200 e the Remax agency will take over the house.
    - after March 2017 he/agency will try to sale the house ( but he is not 100% sure yet). We cant afford the house anyway as we are too old and too small for the bank.

We sign the lease only for 3 months, yesterday.
    In November, new contract ( Im not sure what type of ) will be proposed.

My head is full of questions and dramatic feelings, like on the end of the day, we are just a business for him.

Even we could afford to pay 1200 monthly we are thinking about try to find a new house...but it might happen that it will be so hard, so we stay where we are.

I hope LL knows that the house is 35 year old, and for 9 years everything got older...
    I hope that our deposit is safe and he will give it back in full.

Is there anything you could advice me to do before we take any action?

Best regards

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

sabinalee wrote: »
    Hi all,

We are in the house from 2007, 9 years. We never had any issues together and he always was saying ...this is your house now, do what you want, I will keep that house till I retired.... So we did....care like for our own one. Family of 4 with a dog :)

- he increased rent to the market value and rent will be 350 euro more to pay ! We got 3 months notice.
    - from November 1st, when rent price will be 1200 e the Remax agency will take over the house.
    - after March 2017 he/agency will try to sale the house ( but he is not 100% sure yet). We cant afford the house anyway as we are too old and too small for the bank.

My head is full of questions and dramatic feelings, like on the end of the day, we are just a business for him.

Even we could afford to pay 1200 monthly we are thinking about try to find a new house...but it might happen that it will be so hard, so we stay where we are.

I hope LL knows that the house is 35 year old, and for 9 years everything got older...

Best regards

You can't bring emotion into it. At the end of the day it is a business for the landlord. Sounds like he hasn't increased the rent in 9 years.

The 3 months notice is valid as that this now the requirement. Previously 28 days. So at least the landlord knows the laws. Once the rent is atmatket rate for the area ie other similar properties are being rented at this amount or he can achieve a similar amount if he was to relet to new tenants.

I'm not sure what you mean by 3 month contract. Maybe you will sign a new fixed term contract with the rent increase in 3 months time. However you are already on part iv tenancy so you don't have to sign a new contract.

The landlord has been very open about his intentions to sell in the future. There are new rules and he will have to give you notice of intention to sell within 3 or 6months I can't remember which. However he has to prove his intention to sell. I don't doubt his intention, lot of small landlords are exiting the market. So you've us fair warning (March 2017) and have plenty of time to find alternative accommodation once you give valid notice or agree shorter notice with the landlord.

All in all the landlord sounds very open and reasonable. I'm not sure what action you propose to take.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

sabinalee wrote: »
    Hi all,

Best regards

How long have you been getting below market rent for ? Looks like the Land lord was nice to you both in allow ing you to fix the house as you wished and also giving his property to you at below market rate. You now want to try and take some action .... why ? The landlords circumstances has changed .... be an adult and accept it. This is why I say no matter what the LL will get no thanks for offering property at below market rates... ...

• Advertisement

No, I don't want to take any action against landlord.
    He is a good man, and we understand his decision.

I ment...before we do our next step for ourselves.

It is shock for us, not with increase but with agency taking over the place and future sell.
    Last month we were talking with LL and he said that he has a plan to paint the exterior house, and he will buy new mattresses, as he did not change them for 9 years, but yesterday totally opposite.
    Nothing new will be bring to the house as his plans totally changed.

The price was high for 4 years and then he lowered, and increased again. We were ready that this day will come. We put our money for usual staff, like paints, small appliances, Normal, as we knew we pay not a lot. We also feel appreciation from landlord, with all returns to him.

And you can judge only... Of course we all deserve to pay extra, only because there is no houses around, and every LL has right to do it.
    Beloved tenants are on the end LL mortgage payers and they are bad? Oh yes.
    We are good not bad.
    Our landlord is good not bad.

Situation is bad. That's all.
    My daughter has 2 years to do leaving cert...We can't move, even we were planning to buy the house outside of our current place, we can't do it now. And there is hardly other houses/apartments on the market now to find.

We are scared about near future...

What kind of documents or letter I will need for next renting?
    Should I ask for references now?

We never rent from agency.

I'm not sure what you mean by 3 month contract. Maybe you will sign a new fixed term contract with the rent increase in 3 months time. However you are already on part iv tenancy so you don't have to sign a new contract.

Each year on August 1st we did sign new lease.
    Current one we signed yesterday for 3 months only.
    Next one will be with agency if we decide to stay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

I can understand your worries. Try to look on the positives for now. You have until March 2017 or potentially longer ( as sales take time to go through) to find other accommodation. You are not being asked to leave immediately.
    Use that time to look at your budget, where you can realistically move within range of the school. You still have 3 months on the lower rent. I still don't understand why you would sign a 3 month contract. It's of no benefit to you. You are on Part IV so wasn't necessary.
    Look around first, if you see somewhere you would consider moving to, then talk directly to the landlord and see if ye can agree shorter notice and ask him for reference letter.
    Agency is not a concern just a nuisance. They are only there to manage the letting and then potentially the sale.
    You have more time than anyone else in your situation. As you now know the landlords long term plans.

Advertisement