Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent Increase thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Beagle Boy

If the tenants last increase was I'm april 2014, then under current legislation and my understanding of what the legislation will be going forward, the rent can be increased today or in 2016. But if it increased on Jan 1st 2015 it won't be allowed be increased until Jan 1st 2017

Ok thanks. Is it the case that if you don't review the rent on the annual date that you can do it at any point after that. So in the case above the last review/increase was April 2014, there was no review in April 2015, can a review be done now or does it have to wait for April 2016?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Beagle Boy wrote: »
    Ok thanks. Is it the case that if you don't review the rent on the annual date that you can do it at any point after that. So in the case above the last review/increase was April 2014, there was no review in April 2015, can a review be done now or does it have to wait for April 2016?

As long as a year has passed it can be done whenever.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Beagle Boy wrote: »

If there's no contract signed then yes (tenant staying on part 4)

If there is a contract signed with the rent staying the same you've given the tenant more rights and therefore can't increase the rent until the contract expires, unless there's a clause about a rent review.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Retrovertigo

It was all going so well! I understand his reasons for wanting the house back but had I known at any point that it was a possibilty I would not have used my savings to start a business or made other life choices, instead it came as a total shock with 112 days notice and no contingency plan on my part

Your personal life choices are not the responsibility of a landlord. From everything you've posted it sounded like he was more than fair to you and you begrudge him for having to move, nothing else to it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Was waiting for it to happen for a few weeks but yes, got a request to raise rent just over 20% (I imagine entirely due to this). Which is a few thousand a year more.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Was waiting for it to happen for a few weeks but yes, got a request to raise rent just over 20% (I imagine entirely due to this). Which is a few thousand a year more.

Does this bring it to market rates? You could try negotiate with LL, maybe suggest 10-15% instead.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

No idea what market rates are as there are so few things on daft near me and they are of different standard etc, so i find info like that to figure out, I imagine I am below market rate anyway. Will try and negotiate!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

No idea what market rates are as there are so few things on daft near me and they are of different standard etc, so i find info like that to figure out, I imagine I am below market rate anyway. Will try and negotiate!

All you can do is ask, if your a good tenant they should work with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

This post has been deleted.

You can look at the oireachtais website to see what stage the Bill is at. there is always the possibility the President could refer it to the Supreme Court.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭lynchie

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭ash xxx

Hey,

I emailed Alan Kelly's office yesterday wondering when it would be formally introduced as our lease is up on 17th January 2016.

Rent review letter for last 2 years has arrived around 10th December so I am anxious for these measures to be introduced. Email back said they expect it to pass both Houses by 26th November and should be enacted shortly after that. So they said I SHOULD be covered. Here's hoping!

Ash

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

ash xxx wrote: »
    Hey,

I emailed Alan Kelly's office yesterday wondering when it would be formally introduced as our lease is up on 17th January 2016.

Rent review letter for last 2 years has arrived around 10th December so I am anxious for these measures to be introduced. Email back said they expect it to pass both Houses by 26th November and should be enacted shortly after that. So they said I SHOULD be covered. Here's hoping!

Ash

If your LL is reading boards he would sent it by now ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭NewApproach

It's the landlords property, let him set the price. If the tenant isn't happy, the landlord will have to find a new tenant. I really don't see the issue with this capitalist approach, and I say that as a tenant. Why should a landlord subsidise a tenants rent by charging below a market rate?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 apple_ blossom

I am confused by the 24 month rent freeze , or whatever you want to call it.
    I pay my rent one month in advance. I have had a rent increase every year the last 4 years and I just got another letter from my landlord notifying me of another increase, from December (which is really January 16 rent) . can he do that ? He only increased it last December ( ie for Jan15) ?? What about the whole 24 month thing ??? Aarrgghhh . ....I can't even start to describe my frustration

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

I pay my rent one month in advance. I have had a rent increase every year the last 4 years and I just got another letter from my landlord notifying me of another increase, from December (which is really January 16 rent) . can he do that ? He only increased it last December ( ie for Jan15) ?? What about the whole 24 month thing ??? Aarrgghhh . ....I can't even start to describe my frustration

It's not law yet and won't apply to rent reviews that are due to negotiatied,
    Land lords can increase it every 12 months inline with properties in the same area

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Jaketherake

Just reading threads from years ago where people were arguing whether extra charges on LLs would be passed on in rent. eg property taxes, lower interest allowances etc

Some were adamant that they couldnt be passed. Most LLs know only too well that for any extra tax on them they must charge the tenant over double that to make it back. And that as soon as the market would bear it not only would they be passed on on the double, but also more passed on to make up for the time they had to wait to be in a position to do so.

Now whats happening is the same thing, but it is going to be front loaded.

Anyway here are a few links. A good read with hindsight i think

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056086997&page=4

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=81785551

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Selik

I've done a similar things with my tenants (rent review around Nov every year but doesn't kick in til Jan) although I'm also unsure of how the new legislation is going to work here - see the 4th post down in this thread and some of the replies.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057520787

So in my case I think it's either going to be - tenants new rent in January will be frozen for 2 years OR (which may be worse for them) I increase the rent again for January 2017, which would then be frozen for 2 years from that month.

I'm still confused though and I hope they box these things off properly in the forthcoming legislation, specifically does the freeze apply from the review date or the actual rent increase date - as alot of LLs (like myself) like to give plenty of notice of any forthcoming change. I'm also a tenant myself so can see all sides to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Just reading threads from years ago where people were arguing whether extra charges on LLs would be passed on in rent. eg property taxes, lower interest allowances etc

Some were adamant that they couldnt be passed. Most LLs know only too well that for any extra tax on them they must charge the tenant over double that to make it back. And that as soon as the market would bear it not only would they be passed on on the double, but also more passed on to make up for the time they had to wait to be in a position to do so.

Now whats happening is the same thing, but it is going to be front loaded.

Anyway here are a few links. A good read with hindsight i think

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056086997&page=4

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=81785551

Not the same.
    The only thing that will allow a landlord to increase rent is the demand of the market.
    Not property tax or usc or prsi.
    Now extra taxes may inadvertently cause rents to rise due to more landlords leaving the market to take advantage of better investment opportunities, but its the demand from tenants that directly sets the rent.

If supply had increased and taxes increased at the same time, the rents would have fallen.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

Quite a few put their necks on the line here.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=79006148

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

I'll clarify that we have a single current rent increase thread for a reason. Threads merged

Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭karenalot

My impression is that if your rent increased anytime during 2015 you won't be due another increase till 2017. Doesn't matter when the notice is or was given to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Fkall

karenalot wrote: »
    My impression is that if your rent increased anytime during 2015 you won't be due another increase till 2017. Doesn't matter when the notice is or was given to you.

Retrospective legislation is unlikely to survive challenge in the courts.

As such, any increase notified prior to the enactment of the new law will be valid.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

Just got a rent increase notification, an extra 100. Hmm.
    This being in 2015, it would hopefully mean they could not put it up again for 2 years?

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Jazzzman

Hi, boring rent increase query.

First off, I've raised this with the PRTB but figured in the mean time I'd pick your brains here.

I've been sharing for 2 years so.

Our lease renews every December.

Last November we were informed the rent would increase. Fine.

We received a letter this month informing us the rent would be rising again, and significantly so.

I guess the question is; under the new legislation being introduced, is the landlord entitled to do so?

Side note: the letter was delivered by the landlord himself and dated early November. We're not convinced it was actually delivered at the date stated. There's a communal postbox area so we don't check it daily. The point being there's a distinct possibility he delivered it past the notice period required. Of course proving it would be another thing.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Jazzzman wrote: »

I guess the question is; under the new legislation being introduced, is the landlord entitled to do so?

The legislation is not in force yet, so the LL has not done anything illegal just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

I dont think the new legislation is in yet however i am open to correction.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Jazzzman wrote: »
    Our lease renews every December.

Last November we were informed the rent would increase. Fine.

We received a letter this month informing us the rent would be rising again, and significantly so.

No new legislation has come in to effect, so the old laws apply. He can review rent once every 12 months, in line with market rates in the area.

So, from what you have said, it doesn't look like he has done anything wrong, as long as the increase is in line with market rates (which have recently shot up).

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Jazzzman

Thanks folks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

He hasnt increased it in 2015 already so it's not relevant even if legislation were in acted

Advertisement