Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent Increase thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭bopper

Apologies if the answer to this is glaring obvious from the links that have been provided, but I'm still a bit confused as to the meaning of a "review" prior to December the 4th.

I signed a lease in June this year, my landlords told me at the end of November that they intend on increasing the rent next June. So even with the new legislation they can still do this, as they told me before the legislation was brought in?

Thanks to anyone who can help!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Sarn

bopper wrote: »
    I signed a lease in June this year, my landlords told me at the end of November that they intend on increasing the rent next June. So even with the new legislation they can still do this, as they told me before the legislation was brought in?

I'm all for LLs giving plenty of notice about an increase but in my opinion that would not be valid. They gave you 7 months notice to get around potential changes in the legislation at the time. That would not be a normal notice period for an increase for a new tenancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Icepick

Giles wrote: »
    I think emails may suffice (they certainly should) or at least that's what I've heard, however you still got a letter and if it's 28 days before the increase then it's valid. When was your last rent review?
    The law is very clear - emails don't suffice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Selik

Apologies if the answer to this is glaring obvious from the links that have been provided, but I'm still a bit confused as to the meaning of a "review" prior to December the 4th.

They can't, not until June 2017.

Icepick wrote: »
    The law is very clear - emails don't suffice

I'm only going on what I've read here from some people stating that the PRTB often accepts email notice a a rental change during official disputes if it's the usual method of communication or something along those lines. So officially no by he letter of the law, but anecdotally quite likely.

• Advertisement

Was this your first ever lease, if not when was the last official rent review? If it was before June 2014 then your landlord is entitled to review your rent in June 2016.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭Whyner

Was this your first ever lease, if not when was the last official rent review? If it was before June 2014 then your landlord is entitled to review your rent in June 2016.

Since they didn't increase the rent ever for you, only set it, then they're able to increase it now. That's my understanding.

Even if it was increased last year then I think they can increase it again this year as you we're notified before Dec 4th. We got a letter on Dec 7th, dated Dec 3rd, from the letting agency so we're screwed also. I'm querying it today so will update. Our rent has increase every year for the past 4 years. Giz a break!!!

Thanks for all the replies guys. It seems there is not yet any definitive answer available! People seem to be reading it differently, at least I know it's not just me!

Yes my first one. I only moved in June of this year, and they want to increase the rent June of next year.

Thanks for all the replies guys. It seems there is not yet any definitive answer available! People seem to be reading it differently, at least I know it's not just me!

Yes my first one. I only moved in June of this year, and they want to increase the rent June of next year.

Yeam I'm deffo confused but why do you think they can't increase your rent, they haven't done it previously....worth double checking anyway. We' were due to renew lease last week but are stalling until we know the score

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭April 73

I thought the legislation said no increases within two years of a new lease.
    This LL is chancing his arm by getting notice in before the 4th of Dec for a rent increase in June. If he tries to increase it next June I would direct him to read the legislation & then use the PRTB of he still tries to increase the rent.

• Advertisement

Whyner wrote: »
    Yeam I'm deffo confused but why do you think they can't increase your rent, they haven't done it previously....worth double checking anyway.

Under the new rules rent can't be increased until 24 months after the start of your tenancy. That's definite, it's on the citizens information website.

It's the validity of a notice period given prior to December 4th that I'm confused about.

Under the new rules rent can't be increased until 24 months after the start of your tenancy. That's definite, it's on the citizens information website.

It's the validity of a notice period given prior to December 4th that I'm confused about.

Ah ok, gotcha..I think we're both in a weak position since we were notified before Dec 4th

• Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

If this sort of angleshooting by a landlord is to be allowed, couldn't someone be in a position where their landlord notified them of a rent review in November for June 2016, June 2017, June 2018.........., June 2250 etc?

They will surely have to assert that notice given for a review farther than, say, three months away is invalid.

We signed our last lease starting Jan 6th 2015

Whyner you haven't answered my last question! When was your last RENT REVIEW? A lease might always run concurrently with rent reviews, especially if they're not always done annually for example.

Did you rent increase on 6th January and if not when was the last review that led to an increase. Take this review date +2 years and that's exactly when your rent can be increased again.

There's alot of ambiguity surrounding this new legislation but in your case it's 100 clear.

Whyner you haven't answered my last question! When was your last RENT REVIEW? A lease might always run concurrently with rent reviews, especially if they're not always done annually for example.

Did you rent increase on 6th January and if not when was the last review that led to an increase. Take this review date +2 years and that's exactly when your rent can be increased again.

There's alot of ambiguity surrounding this new legislation but in your case it's 100 clear.

Our lease was up for renewal on Jan 6th this year, we signed a new lease that day which included an increase.

I understand it's fixed for 2 years but they notified us by email on Dec 3rd that our rent would be going up again starting Jan 6th. They sent us a letter also, dated Dec 3rd, received Dec 7th

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭April 73

Our lease was up for renewal on Jan 6th this year, we signed a new lease that day which included an increase.

I understand it's fixed for 2 years but they notified us by email on Dec 3rd that our rent would be going up again starting Jan 6th. They sent us a letter also, dated Dec 3rd, received Dec 7th

Your LL was entitled to notify you of a rent review & increase under the old legislation on Dec 3rd. If an email is a valid notification then the increase may be legit.
    Why not put a call in to the PRTB & see if you can get clarification.

If you do have to pay the increase at least you'll know that it is fixed until Jan 2018.

April 73 wrote: »
    Your LL was entitled to notify you of a rent review & increase under the old legislation on Dec 3rd. If an email is a valid notification then the increase may be legit.
    Why not put a call in to the PRTB & see if you can get clarification.

If you do have to pay the increase at least you'll know that it is fixed until Jan 2018.

Yeah we could do that. Pretty sure if they don't get the increase in this year (E125 a month ) that they'll then increase it by more than E250 next year. We've put in a counter offer for this year and reckon it will be the right call if they accept it

I've checked the PRTB site and my address does not show as registered. Should I follow up on it or will that be perceived as a threat? They're greedy feckers, won't do any work on the house either

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Yeah we could do that. Pretty sure if they don't get the increase in this year (E125 a month ) that they'll then increase it by more than E250 next year. We've put in a counter offer for this year and reckon it will be the right call if they accept it

I've checked the PRTB site and my address does not show as registered. Should I follow up on it or will that be perceived as a threat? They're greedy feckers, won't do any work on the house either

When I enquired re one landlord with PRTB, ie asked if he was registered, they said no and that they " would pursue him" with an enforcement order. I left him to them.

Notified you by email on 3 Dec 2014 or this year? If you only agreed and signed a least on 6 Jan 2015 then that's fixed for 2 years. If the review was prior to that then that (ie review on Dec 2014 and increase in Jan 2015) then that's a different matter.

Notified you by email on 3 Dec 2014 or this year? If you only agreed and signed a least on 6 Jan 2015 then that's fixed for 2 years. If the review was prior to that then that (ie review on Dec 2014 and increase in Jan 2015) then that's a different matter.

Dec 3rd 2015, as in a day before the new legislation

• Advertisement

Dec 3rd 2015, as in a day before the new legislation

And when was the last rent review (not increase date) before that? I'm genuinely tryng to help you here but you need to clearly answer that question (which I've asked quite a few times now) ... please! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

And when was the last rent review (not increase date) before that? I'm genuinely tryng to help you here but you need to clearly answer that question (which I've asked quite a few times now) ... please! :)

He's already answered it. New lease with new price signed 6th Jan.

He's already answered it. New lease with new price signed 6th Jan.

Are you sure so the previous lease was signed with a rent increase on 6th January 2015 with the review also that date? Well if that's the case exactly then that makes the review on 3 Dec 2015 invalid and the rent should be frozen until January 2017.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Are you sure so the previous lease was signed with a rent increase on 6th January 2015 with the review also that date? Well if that's the case exactly then that makes the review on 3 Dec 2015 invalid and the rent should be frozen until January 2017.

Yeah, when you sign a lease that has the price on it that's effectively a review

Yeah, when you sign a lease that has the price on it that's effectively a review

Yep, that's how I understood it also.........review = date new lease signed

@Giles - How do you interpret 'review'?

28 days before the lease kicks in would have to be the review date, legally speaking. Some tenants might not have a fixed term lease but would still be subject to a rent review - so the two should not be fudged together.

Yep, that's how I understood it also.........review = date new lease signed

@Giles - How do you interpret 'review'?

A rent review has to happen 90 days before any increase in rent, and 28 days before any increase in rent before 04/12/2015. Rent cannot just be increased without prior notification of at least the minimum period.

Landlord backed down so no review this year. Fear the worst for next year but happy with the outcome

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭B

wrong thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭B

ive only been renting since febuary 2015?

Advertisement