Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lurker's Log

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Best of luck M, AAA goal all the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

mbarr wrote: »
    I can verify that some mild taper madness can be experienced before marathon #2 too. I split my heel open when crashing into that car last week, thought it would heal in time no issue, and ran on it no problem at all Saturday through Tuesday, including 12 miles on Saturday.

Now however the thing is looking rawer than ever and I'm going slightly mad. Walking around work in flip flops to try to get the thing to heal. It shouldn't be a problem I don't think, sure my feet will be numb after 12 miles anyway.

Yep, been there! Best of luck M, looking forward to reports of a successful race!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

It's been great to follow the brilliant training here and on Strava! Have a fantastic race!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Best of luck.

I'm sure you'll hit your pb.

Enjoy the day.

cf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

Best of luck, Mark. Enjoy.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

All the best of every thing on Sunday. You've put in a great cycle of training so now just to go out there and reap the rewards.

No negative thoughts and try and enjoy it!

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭quick feet

Best of luck Sunday!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

The very best of luck. I will have a go at Rotterdam in the future so looking forward to the report. Take care and enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

Give it socks great training block have a great race :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

Best of luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Hope the heel has healed M, and very best of luck in Barcelona, hope you have a great day!

denis b wrote: »
    The very best of luck. I will have a go at Rotterdam in the future so looking forward to the report. Take care and enjoy.

D'oh :o. BARCELONA BARCELONA BARCELONA.

BARCELONA BARCELONA BARCELONA

Now, I have my lines done. Thank you cut and paste but where were you for those dreaded lines in primary school. Much easier than trying to sellotape 4 pens to a ruler and then trying to match the pen spacing with the lines in the copybook.

Enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭mbarr

denis b wrote: »
    D'oh :o. BARCELONA BARCELONA BARCELONA.

Now, I have my lines done. Thank you cut and paste but where were you for those dreaded lines in primary school. Much easier than trying to sellotape 4 pens to a ruler and then trying to match the pen spacing with the lines in the copybook.

Enjoy.

Hehe go to page 15 for Rotterdam report! Thanks for the well wishes everyone, heel is fine, feeling good. Bring it on 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Well done today, M. Enjoy the rest of the trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Yes well done! Look forward to hearing about it. Enjoy the rest now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Well done M, seems like it was tough going out there. Enjoy the celebrations!

Great stuff M. Followed the updates.

Thanks everyone, tough race, 3:36, I'll focus on the positives, I've ran 2 marathons! Ran very long, 26.8, felt like I was doing my best to take the line but sure there you go. Could be down to running with the 330 pacers for so long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

mbarr wrote: »
    Thanks everyone, tough race, 3:36, I'll focus on the positives, I've ran 2 marathons! Ran very long, 26.8, felt like I was doing my best to take the line but sure there you go. Could be down to running with the 330 pacers for so long.

Well done M, great admiration for anybody who gutted it out today and finished fair play to you, enjoy the beers!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

Well done, M. A solid performance in difficult circumstances. Enjoy the celebrations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭tailgunner

Well done for grinding it out, sounds like extremely tough conditions on the day. Looking forward to the report!

Congrats M. Very solid run and could nearly predict the splits, it was so controlled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Congrats, sounds like a great performance in the conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

Congrats M :)

Wasn't feeling too enthusiastic about writing this, feeling rather mixed about Barcelona, but reading Tang’s account of his day has helped put my own experience in perspective.

Felt very comfortable for most of the race, started well (MP felt easy), survived the hills with minimal issue, got to the half way mark feeling fine, first out and back was grand. Around the second out and back (km 30ish) I started to notice that I was flagging a bit. I could see a gentle drag on the way back in and I was dreading it. Still with the 330 pacers here, saw my missus at 35k, had been hanging on for a while at this stage. Passed under the Arc De Triumph and mentally crumbled. Lost the 330 pace group here and fell apart shortly after, stopped to walk, ran a bit, gave up totally on a PB, once the heart rate returned to normal I managed to pick back up to some sort of jog and slogged through it to get up parralel avenue to the finish. Wasn't too upset at the finish, glad to be done with it, glad to have 2 marathons completed, but in the days and nights since I've been turning the experience over in my head and there's definitely some disappointment there.

It was obviously hotter than I had trained in, but something tells me regardless of the heat, I wasn't on for 330 on Sunday. Whatever happened was what happened in Rotterdam last year, power gone from the legs, lack of mental effort to push through it. I have a newfound respect for the marathon distance, and I told myself in the closing sections that I wouldn't be running another for a while.

My gut feeling is my issue is probably running my initial long runs too fast and not having enough time on my feet. I couldn't have run more marathon pace this cycle or last, and the volume has been fine, so that's really all I can think of. Where I fall apart is time wise exactly when my long runs usually stop, after 3 hours 10 mins or so.

Anyhow, onwards and upwards, haven't focused on a new goal yet but will be doing so over the coming weeks. Feet are black and blue, Saucony kinvaras are a lovely shoe but probably not enough cushioning for me for a marathon at my current weight. Might have been different if i had maintained my form to the finish.

3:36 crossing the line, as I mentioned in my earlier post I was half a mile long, way longer than Rotterdam, and definitely my longest ever run. Thanks everyone for the support, see you back out there soon I hope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

I think you're under-estimating the impact of the weather on the day itself. It might have felt like 26.8 miles (or maybe even 30 miles!), but your Strava map has you ploughing through many of Barcelona's buildings and wobbling constantly all over the place, which you either cynically left out of your race report or maybe all those fancy and well organised but tall buildings were messing with your GPS :) You probably weren't too far off what was achievable, and it was a damn good performance regardless. It'd be interesting to see an analysis of the race data to see whether the rate of blowing up was influenced by the weather (though I bet the locals weren't as badly affected).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Well done on what sounds like a really warm day, think I'd agree with singer on heat effect, rather than anything you did wrong in training, bar being able to replicate the weather. It can take an extra 15-20 sec a mile to adjust to them
    conditions, sounds like you did well to get HR in check and finish out. Onwards and upwards.

Singer wrote: »
    I think you're under-estimating the impact of the weather on the day itself. It might have felt like 26.8 miles (or maybe even 30 miles!), but your Strava map has you ploughing through many of Barcelona's buildings and wobbling constantly all over the place, which you either cynically left out of your race report or maybe all those fancy and well organised but tall buildings were messing with your GPS :)

Yeah you're 100% correct of course! The more time that goes by the happier I am with the race performance.

Recovery coming along well, creaky recovery run yesterday, legs felt a bit twinge-y but seems about right.

Gonna spend the evening planning my next few months of running, not going to allow myself a dip in training over the summer this year!

Recovery from marathon still coming along Ok; had to take a break last week as the toes were acting up. I think they're on the mend again now. Another 2 weeks of easy running.

Plan is to then start into a P&D 12 week 10k programme, 45 - 57 miles per week, with Clonee 10k as the target race. The plan looks like fun, looking forward to getting started.

Depending on how that goes I'm then hoping to do a base building plan over the summer building my mileage up to 60 miles a week, then embark on a half marathon programme targeting the Gingerbread half in November.

Might get back to the club for some of the weekend running, but I find I prefer to plan my own sessions, and the weekday sessions are a bit late for me and involve hanging around waiting to run when I get home anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Ha ha, almost the same as what I'm doing. P&D 10K for Dunshaughlin, then HM towards Charleville or something else in September. Though I won't be too rigid in sticking to the plan.

Advertisement