Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lurker's Log

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭mbarr

Weird triple baader meinhof coincidence (where you learn about something for the first time, then see that thing in another context shortly after) today, was at work and see a new mural on the wall, "Festina Lente", I think, that's Raycun's log name, no idea what it means so I Google it. Make haste slowly, sundial motto, great running log name, good mural on the walls of a mental health hospital.

Then I'm out running tonight and listening to stown, the new podcast from the serial people, and there's a whole section on sundials and the mottos on them including festina lente. Mad altogether.

Over 6 miles this eve, starting to feel pretty recovered. Felt like doing a lap of the park tonight which works out at around 8 miles but common sense prevailed.

Good long break on here, I'm managing to keep the running up just about, averaging about 20 miles a week between 3 runs. I need to get better about heading out for shorter ones on the other days, I find it very tough to get out at the weekends though.

After swearing at mile 22 of Barcelona that I'd leave off marathon running for a few years, I entered DCM this morning. Not planning on racing it, but sure it's early days I suppose.

Will have to run a few half marathons between now and then, gonna try to start logging on here again as it does really help with motivation.

Appallingly bad log keeping recently. Started training for DCM yesterday, 3 miles easy. Bumped up the mileage last week, 40 miles with a 13.5 mile long run, feeling a bit creaky as doing a fair bit in the gym as well. Going to use the Meno plan again so the first couple of weeks will be a slight step back.

Going to move my week around so my long run is Monday, session Thursday and rest Sunday. Weekend running just doesn't work for me during the summer.

Looking forward to getting stuck into the DCM novice thread and catching up around here. Target for DCM is 4 hours, run the whole thing and enjoy it!

Training going well so far, 14 miles on Monday, first session today, 8 minute progression, splits (roughly, forgot to use the workout I had set up so was doing it manually):
    2 mile W/U (9:45)
    8 minutes steady (8:23)
    8 mins MP (7:58)
    8 mins HMP (7:28)
    8 mins fastish (6:58)
    1.3 mile C/D

Felt wrecked after it, but it's the first session in ages so not too surprising.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

mbarr wrote: »
    Appallingly bad log keeping recently. Started training for DCM yesterday, 3 miles easy. Bumped up the mileage last week, 40 miles with a 13.5 mile long run, feeling a bit creaky as doing a fair bit in the gym as well. Going to use the Meno plan again so the first couple of weeks will be a slight step back.

Going to move my week around so my long run is Monday, session Thursday and rest Sunday. Weekend running just doesn't work for me during the summer.

Looking forward to getting stuck into the DCM novice thread and catching up around here. Target for DCM is 4 hours, run the whole thing and enjoy it!

Please do we could do with a few more posters over there ;)
    Training going well so far, 14 miles on Monday, first session today, 8 minute progression, splits (roughly, forgot to use the workout I had set up so was doing it manually):
    2 mile W/U (9:45)
    8 minutes steady (8:23)
    8 mins MP (7:58)
    8 mins HMP (7:28)
    8 mins fastish (6:58)
    1.3 mile C/D

Felt wrecked after it, but it's the first session in ages so not too surprising.

That's a great session. Scares me a bit because i had vague notions of running a 4 hour DCM as well but i know realistically 4 hours 10 or even 4 hours 20 is more realistic and reading your log (your mileage and your paces) makes that even more obvious :o

• Advertisement

ariana` wrote: »
    Please do we could do with a few more posters over there ;)

That's a great session. Scares me a bit because i had vague notions of running a 4 hour DCM as well but i know realistically 4 hours 10 or even 4 hours 20 is more realistic and reading your log (your mileage and your paces) makes that even more obvious :o

I should explain! I'm still running my sessions at 8m/m for MP, that's 3:30 marathon pace. I'm not going to race the marathon but I'm going to train to leave myself fit to head into a half marathon programme after it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

I should explain! I'm still running my sessions at 8m/m for MP, that's 3:30 marathon pace. I'm not going to race the marathon but I'm going to train to leave myself fit to head into a half marathon programme after it.

Phew :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

That's what he says now, wait till October when, or sure I've done the training shame to waste it creeps in :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Kennyg71 wrote: »
    That's what he says now, wait till October when, or sure I've done the training shame to waste it creeps in :)

Indeed... What's up with the 4 hour marathon plan, M?

annapr wrote: »
    Indeed... What's up with the 4 hour marathon plan, M?

I don't seem to train well over the summer, too distracted with sailing and summer pints. Also, possibly mainly, I feel a bit broken after Barcelona and I know if I went for 3:30 again in Dublin and had a third similar experience I'd probably stop running marathons. So I'm going to treat my third marathon like I probably should have treated my first one and just enjoy it!

I had my first proper long run last night, 16 miles, a lap of the park with a good few extra loops thrown in. I looked back at the first 16 mile run for Barcelona and saw my average HR then was way lower than this run for pretty much the same route, was wondering what I was doing prior to that to leave me in such good shape; I go back a few runs on strava and see the horrendous Kyber - S-bend times two club sessions with Liffey Valley running club.

Anyhow all of which goes to say this was tough, but glad to have a long run under my belt.

• Advertisement

Tonight, 3x2 miles at between HMP and 10 mile pace. I nailed this session for Rotterdam, suffered for Barcelona, and suffered again today. I think it's down to coming off the back of a HM programme going into the Rotterdam training, I was doing lots of tempo.
    As it comes up in the plan, there's basically no tempo at all for almost 3 weeks, then bang! 3x2 miles.
    Splits:
    2 miles @ 7:15
    2 miles @ 7:31
    2 miles @ 7:33

Was dying after mile 1, thought there was absolutely no way I would finish the session, was chalking it up as a failed session in my head, but walked the recovery to the first rep and slowed the next two down, was delighted to get through it.

First 18 mile run on Tuesday, made numerous mistakes:
    • Had been out a lot over the weekend and Monday night
    • Sore throat
    • Started off way too fast for the first 8 miles
    • Didn't bring water despite it being a hot sunny evening, and didn't really make as much of an effort to hydrate as I would before a tough run usually
    Basically, underestimated it badly, absolutely died after 15 miles, pushed on through it, possibly shouldn't have. Digging deep and getting through a tough session or a long run with MP miles makes sense, but having to grit out an easy 18 miler, you're probably already knee deep in mistakes and better off cutting your losses and walking home.

Felt very unwell after it, couldn't sleep until 4am, had to lie still or I thought I'd get sick.

Easy 4 miles last night, massive stitch after less than a mile, stopped, stretched, worried I had ruptured something on the long run, but ran on and it eased off.

Ah well, the great thing about marathon training is that if you mess up a long run there'll be another along in a few days!

Bizarrely ok session, this one killed me for Barcelona, found it much easier today.

90 minute progression run:
    20 mins easy @9:25 min/mile
    20 mins steady @8:25 min/mile
    20 mins MP @7:41 min/mile
    10 mins HMP @7:07 min/mile
    20 mins easy @8:32

Delighted with that, wasn't expecting much after Tuesday's long run!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

Bizarrely ok session, this one killed me for Barcelona, found it much easier today.

90 minute progression run:
    20 mins easy @9:25 min/mile
    20 mins steady @8:25 min/mile
    20 mins MP @7:41 min/mile
    10 mins HMP @7:07 min/mile
    20 mins easy @8:32

Delighted with that, wasn't expecting much after Tuesday's long run!

Nice work M. Still aiming for DCM in 4 hrs? ;)

denis b wrote: »
    Nice work M. Still aiming for DCM in 4 hrs? ;)

Haha, yeah still 4 hours! Well maybe 3:45!

Today's 18 mile was amazing, like night and day compared to last week. Started slowly, kept my heart rate where it should be for the first 15 miles, then sped up to MP for the last three, effort felt good, HR after it looked great for the MP sections, finished feeling like I could have run a few more MP miles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Haha, yeah still 4 hours! Well maybe 3:45!

Today's 18 mile was amazing, like night and day compared to last week. Started slowly, kept my heart rate where it should be for the first 15 miles, then sped up to MP for the last three, effort felt good, HR after it looked great for the MP sections, finished feeling like I could have run a few more MP miles.

That sounds like the perfect long run....

Great work M. Yep, sometimes I think that we just have to keep those sessions ticking over as best we can. And then you get a session like that -not by accident either.

Thanks guys! Passed 1000 miles for the year today, during a 2 x 4 miles @MP effort. Ended up way faster than MP on both, 7:41 and 7:35. Need to nip that in the bud or it'll kill me on longer MP sections.

Tough 20 mile run on Tuesday evening, looking back on my log I've always found this first 20 mile tough so that's to be expected. All was fine until the closing 3 miles where I really felt it, but delighted to get up into the 20s as per the plan. There's a bit of a step back next week and the week after (possibly supposed to be a 10 mile race in there) which I'm glad of as I'm sailing to Scotland for two weeks. Hopefully get a few island loops in to keep things ticking over.

As usual once sailing season gets underway I tend to get distracted and lose the run of myself. Had a lovely two weeks in Scotland, managed a couple of hilly trail runs around Tobermoray but nothing apart from that. Last few weeks ramped up again and luckily the endurance still seems to be there.

66.4 miles this week, my longest week ever (only by a few hundred metres but still) nice 20 mile today, would love a 22 in the legs before Dublin, might happen just before taper.

Agreed with a friend to target Madrid next spring, going to take it seriously and try to kick on a bit. Been treading water a little bit this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

All the best tomorrow M, hope it goes to plan. Run well man.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

+1 all the best for tomorrow!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,481 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Spotted you in PP the other day, was wondering if you were still in for this. All the best!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Best of luck tomorrow Mark. Have a good one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Best of luck M.

Thanks everyone! Hopefully see some of ye in McGrattans after!

The very best of luck today M. Will be in McGrattans to put faces to names.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Well done Mark!!! Lovely to see you again today. Enjoy the post marathon celebrations :)

3rd marathon done, 3:56, really delighted with that one. I knew I wouldn't get a great block of training in over the summer, only entered Dublin to ensure I didn't stop running entirely! Didn't do any sessions in the last 10 weeks, no tune up races, but did manage 2 20 mile runs and a 22 miler too, all nice and slow.

Wasn't really feeling well tapered this week, and was considering going for 4:10 or 4:20 but when it came down to it I thought I'd rather give the sub 4 a crack than feel I had loads left to give.

It's my first home marathon, there are a lot of advantages! Not being on my feet all day Saturday was great, as was knowing the course intimately; there were no surprises. Being able to understand all the banners and signs and the things people are shouting was nice too

Started a little behind the 4 hour pacers, felt great, slightly overheated through Stoneybatter, was thankful when the sun went in or we ran in shade. A deer somehow got trapped running against the field when going through that narrow stretch behind the zoo, between the north road and the polo ground, pretty sure it knocked some guy over then bounded its way back through the field. Insane. The rest of the first half flew by, felt like it was no time at all to dolphins barn.

Kept the head well in the second half, felt my face going numb and the endorphins kicking in around mile 17 but bit my tongue and slapped my face to refocus, couldn't afford them that early. Seemed to work anyhow. Ran off on front of the 4 hour pacers in Milltown, the pace was actually getting easier to hold rather than slipping, which was a lovely feeling. Heartbreak hill came and went, I could see how that would break you if you were pushing for a time. A few uneventful miles and then the long stretch in from the RDS. Felt I had a good bit in the legs coming onto the home stretch so started sprinting from around the 26 mile marker I think, probably slightly early! Was cursing myself with 100 metres left but I could hardly slow down that that stage!

Anyhow, all "A" goals achieved, sub 4, run the whole thing (A PB in that regard!) Enjoy every mile (also a PB), and a negative split. Basically the perfect marathon for my current level of fitness. Dying to recover and get back to training; I also need to make a serious effort to race more. I've now run more marathons than I have 10ks and 5ks put together. 3 marathons, 3 halfs, 2 10 miles, 1 10k, 1 5k (plus 2 parkruns) totally inverted!

Enjoyed seeing everyone in McGrattans afterwards, I've been there the last two years following DCM, feels good to be there after running myself. Also delighted to be able to return AGYR's gel belt, thanks a million for the loan AM!

• Advertisement

Well if you have to run your first DCM sub 4, then that is the way to do it. Congrats Mark. Think the shorter stuff will work very well for you to help with maintaining focus. I should take some of my own advice :D.

Advertisement