Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lurker's Log

Options
1111213141517»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Great stuff Mark, sounds like an excellently executed race. Enjoy the recovery & future training plans. Keep us updated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Graceful degradation, brilliant I love it!!! Well done Mark, really delighted to see your result on Strava, happy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭mbarr

Thanks again everyone. Recovering well, legs far less sore than after other marathons. For my own reference, a bit about nutrition. I didn't carry any gels with me and just relied on the gels handed out along the course. I woke up at 6 and had 2 energy bars and a bottle of Lucozade, then granola and a mountain of natural yogurt at about 8:30, then another bottle of Lucozade just before the start. A gel at mile 9, mile 11, mile 16 and possibly around mile 21. Tried to grab for a few skittles and jelly babies from spectators but every time I felt like one of those claw arm toy machines and missed the mark

Dying for a run now, might head out for 3 recovery tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

Well done Mark. That seems to have been a very positive outing. Congrats. Had been watching out for the strava report!! Enjoy the summer and will likewise adopt the "no stopping" approach. Seems as though you measured the race exceptionally well given the conditions as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Congrats Mark, that a great run and definitely a very positive experience. You paced it perfectly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

Great stuff M well done

Docklands 5k last night, finished in 20:53 (PB is 20:36). Nothing but slow running since Edinburgh marathon, just wanted to enter a 5k prior to starting a plan for Dublin half and this fell perfectly. What a great event, well marshalled, bag drop was perfect and getting a hotdog and a beer at the end was unexpected and brilliant! Lovely t-shirt too. Happy with the time, the P&D marathon plan finishes up with a fair bit of 5k 600-1600 repeats and they left me with some race specific fitness.

That gives me a half marathon target to aim for based on current fitness of 1:36, that'd be a two minute PB. I'm planning on starting the P&D faster road racing HM Schedule 1, 31 to 47 miles, the week after next. I was initially looking at schedule 2, 46 to 63 miles but it looked a bit too mileage heavy for me, especially over the summer. If all goes well with the Dublin half I'll hopefully roll into that for a November HM.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Hey, well done at Docklands. Pity we didn’t bump into each other at the afters. Good luck with the HM.

So I did my usual summer thing of completely falling off the running wagon, then trying to pick up the pieces for a race I hadn't fully trained for. Thankfully this autumn it was Dublin half rather than the full, much less painful! 1:54 in Dublin off no real training, tried to get a long run or two in before the Gingerbread half in Laois last weekend, 1:50 in that.

Main goal now is Riga marathon next spring, 8 weeks of base building training coming up, my aim is to start into the training cycle fairly fit and able to hit a decent pace from the start. Probably going to use the P&D 18/55 plan again, that worked well for Edinburgh, just wasn't quite fit enough going in to the start of the plan. That's the main lesson learned from last time, also want to do a few warm up races during training this time around.

Decent couple of months of mostly easy running, coming into some moderate fitness, in a good place to start a training cycle shortly I hope. I was looking at the 2020 goals thread and that got me thinking that I really should get back to logging here again, it's good for motivation.

• Advertisement
Advertisement