Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lurker's Log

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭mbarr

tang1 wrote: »
    Nice going M, if you need a lift if Sligo doesn't work out give me a shout. If not see you in Kinvara.

Thanks a million, B, very kind offer. I should be ok, need to go down to Sligo to make a massive fuss of my mum on Sunday anyway ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Cool see you Saturday so :)

Nice job on the mp, all the best people run that a smidge too fast :cool:

22 mile run done, too fast, much too fast really, I can't help feeling delighted all the same though.

Decided to run the last 22 miles of DCM, minus the Bushy Park detour. This would kill two birds with one stone, I get an interesting long run and some recon for October. Really loved this run, I decided to try out the navigation features of my garmin for the first time, and it is just amazing. It's so easy to follow, I didn't have to think about the route at all (I would have gotten hopelessly lost if I had tried without it)

It was so motivational to be running the DCM route having read the novice thread; to run through Dolphin's Barn, Orwell Road, Roebuck Road, Nutley Lane, it was just great :) Also I felt like I was on holiday as I don't get down the southside much.

So the run, felt really good but my heart rate was higher than usual, possibly something to do with the ungodly amount of pints of craft beer after the rugby yesterday. I tried several times to slow myself down, but as soon as I went back to the map my speed just increased again. I didn't run as overpace as my first long run, but given the specific instructions for this one were "very easy" I definitely messed up. Anyhow, loved every minute, looking forward to the next one, chalk it up and move on I guess.

This week marks a high in terms of mileage, 66 miles, however that's cos I did last week's long run on Monday.

Monday: 4 miles recovery
    Tuesday: 4.5 miles easy with 6x100m strides

Recovering from the long run really well, delighted altogether. Feel like the training is really coming together and as Murph_D said, it's amazing how the body adapts to the load. Felt full of energy starting off on this evening's run, and decided to throw in some strides.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

mbarr wrote: »
    Decided to run the last 22 miles of DCM, minus the Bushy Park detour. This would kill two birds with one stone, I get an interesting long run and some recon for October. Really loved this run, I decided to try out the navigation features of my garmin for the first time, and it is just amazing. It's so easy to follow, I didn't have to think about the route at all (I would have gotten hopelessly lost if I had tried without it)

It was so motivational to be running the DCM route having read the novice thread; to run through Dolphin's Barn, Orwell Road, Roebuck Road, Nutley Lane, it was just great :) Also I felt like I was on holiday as I don't get down the southside much.

This week marks a high in terms of mileage, 66 miles, however that's cos I did last week's long run on Monday.

Nice work doing most of the DCM course :) - but did you go to McGrattan's afterwards? It doesn't count otherwise.

So... are you going for sub-3.30 or what?

• Advertisement

Singer wrote: »
    Nice work doing most of the DCM course :) - but did you go to McGrattan's afterwards? It doesn't count otherwise.

So... are you going for sub-3.30 or what?

haha, I was actually thinking about it! except that I only had a fiver and my leap card and desperately needed some lucozade and a creme egg.

Not sure what the target is yet, want to make sure I remain conscious in the bar afterwards ;) I'll see how the 14 miles at PMP goes and make a call then. But if I had to make a decision right now, I'd go with the 3:30 pacers.

haha, I was actually thinking about it! except that I only had a fiver and my leap card and desperately needed some lucozade and a creme egg.

Not sure what the target is yet, want to make sure I remain conscious in the bar afterwards ;) I'll see how the 14 miles at PMP goes and make a call then. But if I had to make a decision right now, I'd go with the 3:30 pacers.

Too soon... I highly recommend eating food after a marathon :)

I think you're looking good for 3.30 (with the usual things going well on the day caveats).

Not sure what the target is yet, want to make sure I remain conscious in the bar afterwards ;)

obviously this is the target M :D

Wednesday: 9 miles easy. Had huge difficulty motivating myself for this one, I had stayed up late Tuesday night watching US primary election coverage, eating doritos and drinking beer. If I get through this marathon it won't be because of diet anyway! Got into my running gear, lay down and fell asleep for a few hours, managed to get out the door when I woke up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭tailgunner

Good luck on Saturday!

• Advertisement

Best 'o luck on Saturday M, will see you afterwards not doubt, wherever the food is!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Best of Luck tomorrow , it will all go to plan. Enjoy!!

Best of luck tomorrow, I'm sure it'll go great (though the well wishes won't reduce the race-hurt :) )

I dare you to beat my HM time ;)

Best of luck tomorrow, I'm sure it'll go great (though the well wishes won't reduce the race-hurt :) )

I dare you to beat my HM time ;)

Just reading your report there, can't believe you ran mile 3 of that in 6'39. If you can't be a good example at least be a terrible warning, right? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Best of luck tomorrow. Is this a training run or are you racing it?

Just reading your report there, can't believe you ran mile 3 of that in 6'39. If you can't be a good example at least be a terrible warning, right? ;)

I reckon you could run a far more sensible race than I did :) - your training pretty much suggests the same.

jake1970 wrote: »
    Best of luck tomorrow. Is this a training run or are you racing it?
    I reckon you could run a far more sensible race than I did :) - your training pretty much suggests the same.

I'm not full sure I'm going to race it actually, feet have been a bit sore today despite the week not being heavy at all. Going to see how I feel in the morning. I don't think I'll go flat out at any rate, so I definitely won't be beating your time, B :) have you ran a half since? You'd be well on for sub 90 now I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

Another log only coming across this now and how very timely to wish you well today hope all goes well best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭dintbo

Best of luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

I think you'll probably give it a lash. Best of luck!

• Advertisement

Thanks everyone, 1:38:34, a PB anyhow, and on a course that doesn't really hand them out! Made a few key mistakes but managed to finish strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Well done and congrats on the PB.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Well done and great news, congrats, on the PB! Looking forward to reading about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Congrats on the PB, well done M.

I messed this up a bit, suffered a bit more than necessary, but managed to get a PB and finished strongly, so happy enough all things considered.

Met up with Firedance and Tang beforehand, we wandered down and inspected the start finish area, talked strategy, Rotterdam, there was some bickering over a hissy fit that may or may not have occurred in the car on the way down.

I started with the 1:40 pacers, the strategy was to run with the group for the first 3-4 miles, then try to run out ahead and push on as much as I could. The pacers were setting a pretty fast pace, possibly anticipating the hillyness of the second half of the course (although the few miles were fairly hilly too) or possibly making up for a slow start through the village. A guy I had met in the 1:40 group in Laois was part of the group, was chatting away with him for a while.

He broke away around the 4 mile mark, and I decided to go with him. We found ourselves almost alone running into a brisk headwind, brutal going. Just when we got a bit of shelter the long drag uphill started, about halfway up that I looked around and realised I only had about 50 metres on the pace group, which was deflating in the extreme. I lost concentration, and a few minutes later I was caught by the pacers. Never been in this position before, we were still headed uphill and I had to struggle to hang on. Managed to tuck myself in, but the negative thoughts were a bit hard to cope with at this stage. Was full sure the PB was gone, didn't think I could hang on to even get under 1:40, but I remembered one of the pacers saying that we'd finish around 1:39 which gave me a glimmer of hope (that, and the knowledge that the last mile or two was mostly downhill) with about 1 mile to go I did manage to pull away from the group, was dying a death but stuck with it and finished very strongly, was actually amazed how far ahead of the group I managed to get with only a fast last mile and a bit.

If I had a do-over I'd stick with the pacing group until the top of the hill at mile 9 or so and run out from there. Feet (toes, really) are a bit sore, they're stuck in a basin of ebsom salts at the minute and starting to feel better. Seaweed bath booked in Strandhill tomorrow morning :)

Anyhow, today was faster than my Gingerbread run half, despite that being a target race that I was fully rested for, and almost pancake flat in comparison to Kinvara. I'll take it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Nice going M, shows how strong you are to PB on that course which was FAR from easy. Look after the feet, and the hissy fit DID take place!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

tang1 wrote: »
    Nice going M, shows how strong you are to PB on that course which was FAR from easy. Look after the feet, and the hissy fit DID take place!!!

Well done, M.
    As you probably now know, wind can be a big factor on that wide open stretch mid race.
    I had almost the same experience a few years back on a breezy day. Started with the 1:40 pace group, tried to push on and quickly realised the folly of my ways. Slowed right down until I had refuge again.

Today I almost tripped one of the pacers I was following so close behind;-).

well done M, that's definitely worth more today, the training is paying off, there was nothing easy about that route!! hope the feet are ok, and there was NO hissey fit, RIGHT??!!! :D

Great to catch up again and see you in 5 weeks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Nice PB today, M. Keep up the good work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

Well do done congrats on pb.

Advertisement