Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lurker's Log

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

mbarr wrote: »
    Fortunately for me Firedance walked up across town strolled up the road on Tuesday to loan me her gel belt (thanks FD!)

I'm just fixing that as otherwise aquinn will lift me out of it - again :p

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭mbarr

annapr wrote: »
    That 14 miles @ MP is a key session... According to those more experienced than me (Ok, Murph), if you can nail that session, then you will nail the marathon at that pace. Proved true for me, looking good for you too! Should give you lots of confidence, especially now that you've figure out the gels too :)

Thanks Anna :) FD also mentioned that to me earlier this week, I'm starting to believe it!
    Singer wrote: »
    Looks like the maranoia is really kicking in! :pac:

Hopefully it's nothing, but either way rest sounds like a good plan. Go easy on the craft beers this weekend and rest :)

Eep I hope this is peak maranoia! Stocked up on vit C and manuka honey this morning anyhow, they must make a fortune on that stuff during DCM taper!
    Firedance wrote: »
    Oh I wonder where you might have heard that before M :D relax, do some deep breathing and yes get your diet & sleep sorted from now.

You'l be fine, you can borrow my race mantras to go along with belt, 'You can and you wil', 'Trust the Training' - give me something to jump up and down about next Sunday!!

:) I'll do my best! must remember the race mantras, might write some of them on my arm.
    Firedance wrote: »
    I'm just fixing that as otherwise aquinn will lift me out of it - again :p

Oops! Totally not that far a stroll I'm sure!

Turned off the light last night at 10pm trying to be good, couldn't sleep and had a look at strava at around 11 only to realise I had ran 199 miles for March. Briefly considered heading out for a mile to bring me up to my first ever 200 mile month but common sense prevailed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Turned off the light last night at 10pm trying to be good, couldn't sleep and had a look at strava at around 11 only to realise I had ran 199 miles for March. Briefly considered heading out for a mile to bring me up to my first ever 200 mile month but common sense prevailed.

Now if that was a few days later you just might have ventured out. Taper madness has not hit. . . yet!!:D

I'm still struggling with a bit of a head cold, it clears for a few days and then returns for a few. Lemsips are my go to medication, especially at night. They help me to sleep too... Common sense, good food and sleep is all we can do now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Strava cuts bits off every run I uploaded to Garmin connect so rest easy that you did hit over 200 miles. Congratulations, 200 miles!

Good that gear is now all sorted and worn correctly. If not already on the list add bodyglide.

9 days! Well done on a fantastic marathon program.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Catching up - good job on the MP session. Rest up and stay sane!

• Advertisement

Thanks D, A :) hope you are feeling better Anne! still a good few days to shake the niggly colds. I got 8 hours sleep Thursday and 9 hours last night, starting to feel right again. Today's 4 mile easy was the first run where I could detect a little spring in my step that I don't remember having in the past 4 months or so, just a hint of how I hope next week will feel.

Time I guess for a bit of reflection on the training. I used meno’s plan and it has been really brilliant. What follows is a bit more blogging than logging, I should really go and get my own website for this sort of brain dump rather than post here, but in the meantime it’s here for me to look back on in the future and possibly might be of some use to someone considering meno’s plan.

The Mileage:
    4ZjkU3.png

I’ve ran 700 miles on plan to date, it’ll be up to about 724 miles by this time next week. I peaked out at 54 miles a week (there was a 66 mile week but that included a long run from a previous week, I’ve put those runs with the week they belonged in from the plan) and had 4 weeks over 50 miles. 7 weeks of the plan were in the 40-49 mile range, mostly towards the upper end of that.

cGA2if.png
    (x: weeks y: miles)

In terms of the composition of those miles, 74% easy, 14%PMP, 7%HMP, 5% Steady. Over 100 MP miles run.

G67Nj6.png

The Sessions:
    The sessions felt varied to the extent that every one felt totally unique, I always felt like I was doing something for the first time. I’ve looked back over my log and over strava and there are lots of sessions I can’t remember doing, but I never felt bored or over them, they were always challenging but always manageable with a bit of effort. Did most of these on a Thursday night in Phoenix Park running by headtorch, it was actually bliss. I loved the way my field of vision would narrow to the cone of light, and blur with the condensation of my breath or the rain swirling around. I found myself mildly hallucinating frequently towards the ends of these sessions, seeing persistent patterns in the light. I’ll miss these evening dark fast runs, they’ve been one of my favourite thing about training for a spring marathon. The final, key session, 14 miles at marathon pace went very well, I finished strongly and happily and the pace felt manageable so that does bode well, as more experienced folk than me have been telling me!

The Long Runs:
    I ran my first 16 mile run much too quickly, managed to correct this for most of the subsequent runs but in my mileage breakdown there are too many steady miles, and those are mostly the result of haring off a bit fast during long runs. The next two weekends had18 mile runs that went very well, the second I ran 13 miles with Tang1 which was great. Finished that off with 3@PMP for the first taste of running 8 minute miles on fatigued legs.
    The first of the 20 mile runs was a challenge, sore toenails and HRM not working combined to turn this into a bit of a slog. Murph assured me I’d be amazed at how quickly the body adapted and looking back, he’s not wrong. My first 22 mile run was the last 22 miles of DCM (more or less), and this was an amazing run, felt completely wonderful. The rest of the long runs blend into one really except the most recent bonktastic 22 miles with stuff experience. I know the last 8 weeks the long runs have been more challenging than the sessions, with the sessions having fewer tempo miles and the long runs having increasingly more MP miles on tired legs. In terms of practicing race day strategy, I missed a trick here. I should have sorted my planned gel strategy sooner and practiced it on that 22 miles with stuff, I should have been practicing drinking while running (with the exception of possibly one run, I haven’t drank at all while running except for races).

The Tune Up Races:
    Trim 10 mile was my first 10 mile race, set an arbitrary-ish target of under 73:30 and ran 72:12, that was very positive. For the Kinvara half I set an over-ambitious target of 1:36:xx, chased that to my detriment strategically during the race, suffered, recovered and finished strongly with a PB of 1:38:22. I’m hoping the experience of suffering but hanging onto a group will be good for Rotterdam.

The Injuries, Illnesses, and Niggles:
    I’ve been very fortunate in this category, no illness (yet, I have some possibly taper related symptoms that I’m sure will develop into full blown man flu at any minute), and relatively little injury. I had a bit of a scare after the Trim 10 mile, very very sore feet, convinced myself it was PF or something worse. Physio ruled these out and told me to run slowly for a while. I missed one session and ran my second 20 mile run slow instead of including some steady miles, and really didn’t do very much faster running between Trim and Kinvara, haven’t had any issues since. He gave me a bunch of S&C exercises to do for which I bought a medicine ball and then promptly forgot about. It’s something I do want to incorporate into my running for sure but we’ll get through Rotterdam first!

The Planned Pace:
    I’ll probably write another post about this, as it’s a topic that’s consumed a massive amount of thought and flip-flopping and agonizing, etc. On MP runs my internal dialogue dithers between aiming for 3:30 or 3:40, which is worse, to run your best effort and risk a fade or to leave it out on the course and wonder, etc, etc. It took me ages to post my goal time on the Rotterdam Marathon event thread as that felt sort of like nailing my colours to the mast. Anyhow, I’ve ran all my training runs PMP for a target of 3:30, there are no 3:40 pacers, and another reason I’ll think of later to bring it up to three reasons; I’m going to try for 3:30 with confidence that on a good day, that should be achievable based on my training. That confidence is based on very little really, other than other people’s experience of this plan. Those other people were probably running longer than 10 months when they used this plan, and probably not running their first marathon, but still.

The Goals:
    So the AAA goal is sub 3:30, B goal is sub 3:40, C goal is sub 4. When I entered Rotterdam I put 3:45 down as my target time (no memory of doing that!), that would also be fine. I'm obviously going to be delighted just to finish so that's my D goal. Some other non-time related goals, I want to remember my running mantras wot I got from Firedance. I tend to forget the power of these, I wish I had remembered in Kinvara and I might not have had as torrid a mid-race section. These will be going on the arms in marker along with the 5k splits. That’s my other non time goal, to manage my own pace and keep track of my 5k splits.

That’s it for the training, it’s done, it’s dusted, nothing left but to enjoy the rest of the taper, continue sleeping well, eating well, clipping my toenails, checking the weather on an hourly basis, worrying over niggles and coughs and chest tightness, spending hours writing introspective and obsessive posts, losing fitness, losing speed, losing my mind, etc :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Best of luck, if you nailed the 14 mile PMP run, you're looking good. Don't forget, you've only one 'first marathon' so put 'enjoyment' on the goals too ;) In many ways, your first marathon is like a dress rehearsal for all your subsequent ones.

Don't be afraid to pull back a little if you're not feeling comfortable early on. Pulling back in time will save a world of pain later on.

Breathe, Run tall, Relax....and Smile :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Great post, Mark, it's important to reflect on the training and what it says about your endurance, your goals etc. Your HM and 10-mile times say that a 3:30 target is not overambitious, even for a first marathon, especially if you've trained all along for that pace so I think it's a legitimate target. Rotterdam is flat so you won't have the psychological challenge of late hills to deal with but you'll still need to keep something in the tank for the last 10k where it's always necessary to dig deep, or at least dig in, so my only advice would be to be prepared for that and don't panic if you start to feel the pace slowing a little. You're certainly entitled to your A pace so commit to it from the start but don't get carried away, you're gonna need something for that final push.

Thanks guys, I will be going for it but doing my systems checks and backing off if needs be. Enjoyment added to goals, thanks DG.
    Breathe, Run tall, Relax....and Smile added to I can and I will, and Trust the Training :)

Thanks guys, I will be going for it but doing my systems checks and backing off if needs be. Enjoyment added to goals, thanks DG.
    Breathe, Run tall, Relax....and Smile added to I can and I will, and Trust the Training :)

Add another one, we will be stalking you back home :& sending positive vibes! You'll be fine :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

The work is done now, and it looks like you did plenty. Best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

You have the hard work done M and ran two great PB's in preparation now try not to let taper madness drive you to crazy and tomorrow week we'll both be toasting shiny new marathon PB's.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Great post M, love the pychedelic night time runs, must try that sometime. :)

Looking forward to the reports from Rotterdam already.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Great writeup of your training Mark! I think all the PMP miles you did will pay off on the day.

I found this post on the novices thread by FBOT a useful way to think about pacers - it could be worth sniffing around for some more info about the pacing quality and strategy at Rotterdam (another thing to obsess about over the next week :) ).
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=96645224&postcount=3091

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Great post M and you have done great training so you will reap the rewards.

One more thing to add M to your mantras, Believe!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Super post, I've that saved down so thanks for that also.

Toenail day might be today then so don't forget.

You've had a super training block so have a wonderful race.

Have you printed your own pace band or they have them at the expo? Might be good if course in km, ugh.

Thanks everyone! Good advice about the pacers, I'm going to kind of ignore them and if I find myself running near them so be it. I've got a pace band printed up with the 5k splits (no mile markers from what I read)

After my 12 mile run yesterday in my new runners my left calf was a bit twingy for the first time ever, tight and slightly sore. Ran 2 miles tonight and it was sore again afterwards. Foam rolled it and now it's really stiff and sore. Panic is setting in a bit. I've gone back to my old runners (they have about 250 miles on them but I figure better the devil I know) and I'm hoping it comes good. Why after 17 weeks of hard training a 12 mile easy run that I took really handy and enjoyed thoroughly I would suddenly now get a weird niggle, I don't know. Really hoping this is all part of the taper insanity. 5 miles with 3@MP tomorrow, probably worth skipping and just doing one or two MP miles later in the week if it feels better. Might go out and do a recovery run instead and see if that stretches it out a bit. Agh!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭tailgunner

Would you have time to get a sports massage before the weekend?

Don't panic just yet anyway - in my (admittedly limited) experience, I always seem to get random niggles while tapering.

Why after 17 weeks of hard training a 12 mile easy run that I took really handy and enjoyed thoroughly I would suddenly now get a weird niggle, I don't know. Really hoping this is all part of the taper insanity.

Quite possibly, TG is right though, go and get a rub down, today or tomorrow if you can - by a physio or a sports therapist.

Booked a massage for tomorrow afternoon. Thanks for the advice guys I might have been inclined to leave it but at this stage definitely better safe than sorry. I've settled a bit today, slightly less on edge!

• Advertisement

Cut my toenails on Monday (the New Toenail Tuesday). Printed out my paceband yesterday complete with mantras, laminated it and stapled it to my wrist. Went out for a two mile run yesterday, had it in my head when I left the house to see how I felt and possibly try the 5 with 3@PMP but thought the better of it. Had my calf strapped up in a compression bandage which was way too tight, could barely run. Took it off after a mile and ran home @MP, felt great!

Heading to Elbowroom in Stoneybatter this afternoon for the deep tissue massage, hoping I haven't left it too close to the big day. Any thoughts on speeding recovery from the massage? Try a recovery run tomorrow? If I don't run again between now and arriving in Rotterdam I'm ok with that. Just want to be at the start line already!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

Cut my toenails on Monday (the New Toenail Tuesday). Printed out my paceband yesterday complete with mantras, laminated it and stapled it to my wrist. Went out for a two mile run yesterday, had it in my head when I left the house to see how I felt and possibly try the 5 with 3@PMP but thought the better of it. Had my calf strapped up in a compression bandage which was way too tight, could barely run. Took it off after a mile and ran home @MP, felt great!

Heading to Elbowroom in Stoneybatter this afternoon for the deep tissue massage, hoping I haven't left it too close to the big day. Any thoughts on speeding recovery from the massage? Try a recovery run tomorrow? If I don't run again between now and arriving in Rotterdam I'm ok with that. Just want to be at the start line already!

Relax, 4 days is fine. I know people usually say 5 days but that's just to be on the really safe side. I'm usually flying 2-3 days after a deep tissue. No need to speed up recovery but if feel like doing a recovery run, do it. A deep tissue massage doesn't mean you have to stop running, once it's not high intensity which it won't be in the last week of the taper, you'll be good on easy runs although the legs might feel heavy for a day or two. Just listen to your body, don't push or strain when you don't need to and you'll be good.

EC is dead right, don't worry :) Also drink lots & lots of water after the massage and in the coming days, that really helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Best of luck on Sunday mbarr. Have a great race and hopefully an enjoyable first marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Best of luck getting to the starting line, enjoy the weekend and have a great race! You've done enough to give you a great chance of hitting your goals, all you can do now is relax and get into the racing mindset. It's gonna be one of the best races you'll ever do. Looking forward to following you on the tracker :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

Best of luck hope everything goes to plan enjoy the moment.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Best of luck, some serious progress in short time, looks like all hard work done
    have a good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Best of luck at the weekend, M. Don't forget it just a 10k race with a 20mile warm-up so just be patient and ENJOY!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

Great stuff M. So much work done and now you get to run! This is a race I hope to do next year so really interested in your experience. Best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Well done on getting this far M and very best of luck tomorrow!

Advertisement