Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bord Gais Energy - Surprisingly Incompetent

Options
  • 11-11-2015 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭

We have a prepay gas meter with Bord Gais Energy. The account is in our landlords name and all mail should go to his house.

Today Bord Gais came round and disconnect the supply.

We did get warning, sort of. They sent letters to our home but addressed to our landlord which we put on a pile for him to collect. After the disconnection I called him and he asked me to open the letters. He was surprised that the letters were coming to us instead of his house.

The letters, although addressed to the landlord, started "Dear Occupant.." and went to say that our landlord has advised them that we were the new tenants and we had to arrange a new account or get cut off. He did not tell them this.

Kind of glad to be rid of them to be honest.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

I'm not sure what BGE have done wrong? Sounds like your landlord is at fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Moved to Accommodation and Property

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

How can they cut off a prepay meter? Lucky it's a warm November.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭grundie

BGE seems to think our landlord told then there was a new tenant. He assures us he did not do that.

BGE starts sending letters intended for the new tenants to our house asking them to take on responsibility for the meter, but addressed to our landlord - so they end up not getting opened.

As a result, they think "no response, lets cut them off".

That's basically it. Everything was grand, then BGE did something weird and decided to assume the house had new tenants - and then they messed up the paperwork by addressing all mail to the landlord intsted of "The Occupants".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Azalea

Don't be so sure the landlord is telling the truth though.
    If there is no response to numerous reminders, then that would be grounds for cutting off the gas.

And somebody should have taken responsibility for the gas meter - why did the landlord allow all that post to build up?

I agree with Lux though, disconnection of a pre-pay meter is strange - it obviously was being paid for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

If post is building up, surely you would have let him know?

Advertisement