Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance cancellation help!

• 11-11-2015 2:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hi

I changed my car and unfortunately at the time was insured by its4women (whilst it's against everything I stand for the price was half that of others I was quoted!). They will only let you change cars online, but their website wasn't actually working at the time. After numerous attempted phone calls and emails I decided I'd cancel the policy and get insured elsewhere; I was told over the phone that I needed to send them the insurance "disk" - they are now refusing to cancel the policy (which is only 2 months old - I'd paid the year's premium) as I don't have the certificate that the disk was attached to. If I'd been told I needed this in the first place I wouldn't have gone for the cancellation and taken out cover elsewhere as I knew I didn't have it.

Any advice...or am I stuck paying 2 full policies for a year, are they legally allowed to refuse to cancel the cover. Trying to talk/reason with its4women is a complete impossibility as you just can't get someone on the phone.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,476 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Two issues here ....

1. Virtually all insurance policies state in the policy document (the terms and conditions) that they will only terminate the policy if you surrender the cert and disc, this is clearly to stop people taking out a policy, then cancelling it, collecting the refund and hanging on to the paperwork to get past police checkpoints.

2. I've seen other discussions here and in the Motors forum and that company has a terrible reputation for customer care, just as you described.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Rosser

Write to them cc'ing the regulator and request a 'Lost cert Declaration Form' (LDF), cancellation of their policy specifying the date you opened your new policy and a pro rata refund based on the two months (ie 10 months refund).

• Registered Users Posts: 26 charcoal blue

Nice one - thanks Rosser. The lost cert declaration actually looks standard enough across companies, why they've told me if I can't produce the original they'll keep the policy active I don't know. Will give that a try anyway. They're an utter nightmare to deal with for anybody reading this considering them because they're cheaper - DON'T it's not worth the hours of your life you'll never get back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Report it lost.

Had the same with Tesco years ago who first decided they won't stop the policy (auto renewal ) due to not receiving ( or rather lost in their office) disc and certificate.

Then they sent me threatening letters due to non payment (after I told them another policy was paid for and documents were sent to them).

They have cancelled the policy later due to non payment despite not receiving disc and cert. Go figure :)

They cancel when they want to, and refuse to cancel if it suits them. Don't let them get away with it.

• Site Banned Posts: 638 ✭✭✭imurdaddy

25plus is the same company! I'd same issue I sent my docs back they "never revived" even though I sent reg mail, they wouldn't answer phone or emails a completely sh1t company, the reason the do this is to keep as much of your money as possible! Record all emails, register any mail you send and try insurance ombudsman! They kept demanding the policy documents I'd sent and they lost,

And for the kicker some dumb f##k on the phone threatened me with canceling my policy!!! Exactly what I'd been trying to do! Jesus wept.

Oh and if on chat with an agent screen grab every message cause the mysteriously vanish!

Good luck getting you're refund

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 anonymouse31

Hi

I changed my car and unfortunately at the time was insured by its4women (whilst it's against everything I stand for the price was half that of others I was quoted!). They will only let you change cars online, but their website wasn't actually working at the time. After numerous attempted phone calls and emails I decided I'd cancel the policy and get insured elsewhere; I was told over the phone that I needed to send them the insurance "disk" - they are now refusing to cancel the policy (which is only 2 months old - I'd paid the year's premium) as I don't have the certificate that the disk was attached to. If I'd been told I needed this in the first place I wouldn't have gone for the cancellation and taken out cover elsewhere as I knew I didn't have it.

Any advice...or am I stuck paying 2 full policies for a year, are they legally allowed to refuse to cancel the cover. Trying to talk/reason with its4women is a complete impossibility as you just can't get someone on the phone.

Thanks

We're u able to cancel your policy ??

Advertisement