Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I stay or should I go?

Options
  • 11-11-2015 3:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I am currently teaching the past 4 years with adults and I have 10 hours CID teaching between 2 adult Ed centres in 2 different towns.

I have been offered a job in Dublin (I live 50 miles away) for 18 hours, teaching second level students. However the contract is only until the end of May

I am really at odds what to do. On one hand I have the possibility of better hours, 2nd level students rather than adults and subjects I would prefer......however that involves moving out of home for the 1st time, the travel & financial implications of working and living in Dublin city and the extra workload involved!

I guess what im asking is, would it be worth giving up a CID with adults for a fixed term in a 2nd level environment?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

Hello,

I am currently teaching the past 4 years with adults and I have 10 hours CID teaching between 2 adult Ed centres in 2 different towns.

I have been offered a job in Dublin (I live 50 miles away) for 18 hours, teaching second level students. However the contract is only until the end of May

I am really at odds what to do. On one hand I have the possibility of better hours, 2nd level students rather than adults and subjects I would prefer......however that involves moving out of home for the 1st time, the travel & financial implications of working and living in Dublin city and the extra workload involved!

I guess what im asking is, would it be worth giving up a CID with adults for a fixed term in a 2nd level environment?

A lot depends on what level you want to teach at. I taught at second level for ten years, before landing a job in FE. For a while I hankered to go back to second level, but now I can't see myself anywhere else.

There are advantages and disadvantages to both. Very few if any discipline issues in FE, and students who are motivated. And a more friendly, less authoritarian relationship with students. On the other hand, the students come and go in a short time before you can get to know them.

If second level is your thing, then you should go for it, even if it's only until May. You will get your foot in the door and will have the second level experience. On the other hand, if you want to stay teaching adults, stay where you are

As regards leaving home, I know it's a huge thing, financially - working part time is not as painful if you're not paying a fortune in rent, but maybe you can contact a friend from college, or a relative, and bunk down on their sofa until you get yourself sorted. It IS a big step, but you have to do it sometime! If you have a car, you could commute. It's not that far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭janes1234

Personally you would be mad togive up a CID in my opinion.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I'd stay with the adults.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

did you get into teaching to be in the adult education sector or secondary teacher?
    that's the key question here !
    if it was to be a secondary teacher them you will have to make the move eventually and 18 hours till the end of the year is not to be sniffed at .
    obviously there are other factors such as travel etc but for me I'd take it as I'd have no interest in working in the adult education sector so a 10 hour CID would not be a factor for me

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

spurious wrote: »
    I'd stay with the adults.

I would too. Absolutely love the relationship you can have with the students, and you can do the job because they want to be there. I always thought I'd prefer second level but once I got into FE I've never looked back.

But everyone's different. Some people prefer secondary. You h.ave to follow your gut feeling

• Advertisement

Hello,

Someone else said you'd be mad to give up a CID, and it's hard to disagree with that.

As regards job and income security, a lot depends on the nature of your contract (what the hours are for), whether it's a standalone school or an ETB, and if there's a reasonable prospect of getting a further contract for the same level of hours. Don't forget that nowadays you can qualify for a CID after two years if you've got the right kind of contract - and if you were to get an 18 hour CID you'd in effect be landing a full-time job.

But on top of that there's also the issue of personal and professional satisfaction - the kinds of questions posed by previous posters about what you want to teach and where you want to work/live. If second level is more your thing, you'll want to think about taking the job. If moving out and moving to Dublin is a negative for you, that might dissuade you.

I'd also say that a crucial factor would be your age and where you see yourself in the coming years. You could have a very long number of years ahead of you in work. Yes, you can stay put and eventually build yourself up to a full-time permanent job at what you're doing and stick with it until retirement. But is that how you see the rest of your career unfolding? If so...if not...you get the rest, I'm sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

It's mad to give up the CID if you're settled in your life, you have dependents and you're happy where you are. I get the impression, from the OP, that only one of these applies here - the last one. If I'm wrong, the rest of this might not apply.

You say you're still living at home. Maybe you should take the longer hours, just to get out there. Life experience is worth it. If you haven't lived away from home before, you should get that experience, not from a professional point of view but from a personal one. From a professional point of view, I assume you haven't worked an 18 hour contract, teaching teenagers before. This experience will stand to you in future.

The fact that you're living at home means, I assume, that if worst comes to worst and you don't get a teaching job next year you'll be able to move home and you won't end up on the street or living hand to mouth.

Essentially, assuming you're in your early to mid-20s, you should definitely take the new job. Job security isn't everything. Sometimes it's more important to live your life.

Advertisement