Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Issue with bank

• 11-11-2015 4:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭

Has anyone experienced this or something like it?

Money is tight so I triple check everything with the bank be it with ATM mini-statements or online statements.

Last Friday week, I had enough money to cover debits coming out over the weekend. Especially as I had checked that one debit had been deducted on the Thursday.

Last Monday, the bank told me that the money did not come out on the Thursday, but it came out on the Friday, after I had checked was there enough to cover the weekend's debits.

I simply can't afford "returned debit" fees hence my triple checking of everything - and I saw that debit came out on the Thursday; according the the statement on my online banking page.

I lodged a complaint with the bank, not solely because of the €10 charge, but because my online statement stated one thing, and the next week their internal system stated another.

Anyway, I got a response this morning from the bank and the person informs me that he has investigated my complaint and his findings are that the money that I claimed came out on a Thursday did come out on the Thursday, but according to this gentleman I am still in the wrong.

He continues that he acknowledges my dissatisfaction but he is not in a position to refund me as the charge was correctly applied.

I'm continuing on with this and I am taking the bank's advice that I may refer this to the Financial Services Ombudsman for adjudication, but that is irrelevant to this post.

I would like to ask if anybody has come across something like this before?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,249 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Bank of Ireland 365 often has incorrect totals at the bottom, if it was by any chance that bank. I would consider it to be the banks fault entirely and go to the Ombudsman. However, embarrassing them on Twitter / the Talk To forums here might get the same result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Brian Lighthouse

No it was not that bank you mentioned.
    I don't want to embarrass any bank through social media, I will follow the procedure.
    I am extremely curious as to how often errors like this occur. That's all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Not a consumer issue, moved to Banking

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 138 ✭✭Patrick Wheelock

Debits don't "come out over the weekend".

Monday - Friday only.

Check your statement for the date of processing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Brian Lighthouse

"Last Friday week, I had enough money to cover debits coming out over the weekend"
    Meaning - I checked on the Friday to ensure that all debits would be covered between the time I checked and Monday morning.

Are you two fellas on the troll?

I only want to know if someone else has experienced this or something like it.

Thanks

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,356 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

"Last Friday week, I had enough money to cover debits coming out over the weekend"
    Meaning - I checked on the Friday to ensure that all debits would be covered between the time I checked and Monday morning.

Are you two fellas on the troll?

I only want to know if someone else has experienced this or something like it.

Thanks

This is the experience of people who fail to keep their own records and ensure that the actual balance outstanding is covered by the balance on the bank and not rely on bank timing differences to get them by as you are doing. This is very common so read the T&C from your bank plus the SEPA payment rules and I'm sure you'll find you don't have grounds for a complaint.

Advertisement