Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beggars going up to people with piece of paper.

Options
  • 11-11-2015 4:46pm
    Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭

Anyone notice this bunch around town lately?Roma pair,man and woman in their 30s,shes always wheeling a pram with a child and hes usually accompanied by a boy of about ten or eleven?Going up stopping people and handing them a piece of paper which I presume is some tale of woe.The funny thing is that theyre both very well dressed and respectable looking,certainly don't look down on their luck.Saw the woman in action today in the Paul St entrance to Lidel.She went up to woman who gave her some change,then she followed after her and caught hold of her arm and seemed to asking for more money.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

Anyone notice this bunch around town lately?Roma pair,man and woman in their 30s,shes always wheeling a pram with a child and hes usually accompanied by a boy of about ten or eleven?Going up stopping people and handing them a piece of paper which I presume is some tale of woe.The funny thing is that theyre both very well dressed and respectable looking,certainly don't look down on their luck.Saw the woman in action today in the Paul St entrance to Lidel.She went up to woman who gave her some change,then she followed after her and caught hold of her arm and seemed to asking for more money.

This is being happening in some shape or form for a long time nothing new.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,747 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Anyone giving money to these people are idiots, they are running a commercial begging operation. Give them food by all means if you "believe" they are hungry.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

Oasis1974 wrote: »
    This is being happening in some shape or form for a long time nothing new.

Well this specific crowd have been around for the last month or two and are more persistant than most.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

Just tell them you cant read.
    I remember a story from years ago about my wifes ex boss. He came out of the tool shop on north main street and one of them came up begging. He pulled the pliers he just bought from his bag and offered to help rip out her gold teeth and bring her over to the cash for gold shop across the road to see what they were worth. He said she legged it like she thought he was serious. He said he was walking round town giggling like a little girl for the rest of the afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Dbu

Anyone giving money to these people are idiots, they are running a commercial begging operation. Give them food by all means if you "believe" they are hungry.

Saw a lady buy a guy a sandwich in Centra on Oliver Plunkett st once, he tossed it across the road once she had left.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Yeah, this guy's been doing it for a while.

Bought him a few rolls after he gave me his spiel last September, I was goin in for some bread myself, and I thought sure it's not a whole load of money, and he'll be glad of it, which he seemed to be, thanking me profusely.

Met the same fuccker on Nagle bridge about a week ago, tried to hand me the bit of paper but I told him to fecck off!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

They all understand fukc off.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Sure the same woman came up to me trying to hand me a piece of paper on the Grand Parade outside the library.She looks like shes expensive taste in clothes,she got feck all off me anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭sonny.knowles

No speekey englisey.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

That's weird .... exact same thing happens in Amsterdam.

Do what I do ... "NO ENGLEESSE" and walk off

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭LostCorkGuy

Not saying they're doing it here, but a common scam the roma run in Paris is come up to you to sign a petition, start getting very in your face and distracting, child then tries to pickpocket you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

So annoying these chaps are would not trust them in the slightest

Advertisement