Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Coddle in Dublin

Options
  • 11-11-2015 5:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

yes, i know, the very best is possibly your mums, but
    in which Pub/Restaurant etc.. can I find a good coddle in Dublin?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

O'Neill's Pub...still not a patch on me ma's though ;)

http://www.oneillsbar.com/index.php

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Heard Matt The Rashers do a good one! If it has anything other than water, potatoes, skinless sausages and back bacon AVOID!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

Heard Matt The Rashers do a good one! If it has anything other than water, potatoes, skinless sausages and back bacon AVOID!!!

Ah here! It needs onions and carrots.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Gravediggers does a lovely one apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 10,878 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

If it's half as good as their breakfast rolls you won't go far wrong. What a spot, lived in kimmage for years there until I moved abroad, loved going there after a night of sauce.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Avada wrote: »

There is a special place in hell for ANYONE who puts ANYTHING orange into a coddle ! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

ProudDUB wrote: »
    There is a special place in hell for ANYONE who puts ANYTHING orange into a coddle ! :mad:

No!

I reserve that privelige for any ******* who adds celery.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

I put leeks and turnip into mine, as well as onion carrots and spuds. Each to their own, no two recipes for coddle are the same
    I wouldnt dare put celery in though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭Paulzx

As a born and bred Dub I believe coddle is the food of the devil. Manky stuff. Raw mickeys all round!!!!:D

I await the expected abuse:p

Avada wrote: »

Onion, correct!

Carrots are not part of a coddle, at least not a proper Dublin coddle!

• Advertisement

Onions are mandatory. But they can't actually LOOK like onions once it is cooked. You should be boiling the holy bejayzus out of the ingredients so much, that the onions dissolve completely into the finished product. Granted, that means that the sauce winds up looking like gloopy, wall paper paste....but boy oh boy do the onions add flavour. Am drooling now just thinking about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,294 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Often thought of ordering it, but once you're in there it's pretty much impossible to order anything other than the famous breakfast (no liver)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Davy Byrne's do a half daycent one.

Carrots in a coddle? No, no, no. The only thing of colour in a coddle is the pale pink of the boiled rashers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,653 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Yurgh, carrots NOT in coddle. They make it watery and sweetish. All wrong.
    This is a classic dish that carries its own dignified economy:
    Potatoes, onions, rashers, sausages. Coddled in just enough water to moisten, not a big wet splash.
    A handful of pot-herbs is the only correct Dublin seasoning: a possible garnish of brown sauce is added by some.
    That is absolutely all!

Always funny with the reactions to non-Dubs on coddle - my dad is from Mullingar and can't even bear to look at it, his forte is stew. While my mam is a 3rd generation (at least) Dublin 8 inner citier and loves it like myself! Telling a South American lad, a Monaghan lad and a Spanish lad the other week what coddle was and the looks on their faces was priceless!

Lots of Dubs hate it too. For what it represents, as much as for how it tastes or looks.

My father was about as Dub as it is possible to get, but he had bad memories of non stop coddle as a child, when money was tight. So it was banned from our dinner table when he married my mother. He couldn't even stand the smell of it. As the aroma lingers in the air, the Mammy couldn't even whip a sneaky one up (she loved it too) when he was out. He was a lovely, lovely man, but God, he was an out & out Nazi when it came to the coddle, so I only ever got it on my birthday. I think I looked forward to it more than the cake or the prezzies. :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 418 ✭✭Confucius say

It's absolutely vile. Peasant food. And I'm a bleedin' workin' class dub. Tasteless mushy slodge. Tbh I never knew what it was until people started telling me it was something people in Dublin ate. None of my friends or family would have eaten this growing up in Dublin, and a lot are from the north inner city so I don't know where the bloody idea of coddle even came from.
    Irish stew is also vile. Thanks for reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭Paulzx

Lots of Dubs hate it too. For what it represents, as much as for how it tastes or looks.

My father was about as Dub as it is possible to get, but he had bad memories of non stop coddle as a child, when money was tight. So it was banned from our dinner table when he married my mother. He couldn't even stand the smell of it. As the aroma lingers in the air, the Mammy couldn't even whip a sneaky one up (she loved it too) when he was out. He was a lovely, lovely man, but God, he was an out & out Nazi when it came to the coddle, so I only ever got it on my birthday. I think I looked forward to it more than the cake or the prezzies. :(

I like your Dad:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

I only eat the non meat bit of coddle (spuds, carrotts and onions). I call it coddle soup, it's lovely with bread. My boyfriend loves coddle so I make it for him and freeze it so he can have it when he wants. My da told me once about the freaks who put barley or tomatoes in coddle- even I know how wrong that is!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Peasant food

Most of the great dishes of the world started out as peasant food.

Coddle isn't one of them

Nothing wrong with peasant food. Just never had a good coddle.

• Advertisement

The gas thing about coddle being dismissed because it's "peasant food" is that the ingredients are things that we eat every day. Spuds, rashers, sausages, onions...& even the things that the weirdos put in, like carrots & celery....are all things that we eat every day. So how can it be peasant food?

If you don't like the look of it, fair enough. Boiled sausages aren't exactly Picasso's when it comes to appearances. If you don't like the taste of it, fair enough. Coddles can be quite salty, due to the fatty rashers used. It may not be everyone's cup of chai latte tea. But the ingredients are still every day things. It's not like you are being asked to put tripe & drisheen, or lambs livers into your gob, or any of the other offal that de poor folk were stuck with back in the day, as it was all they could afford.

So food snobs of Ireland...Get Over Yourselves ! :p

(Sorry Dad.)

The gas thing about coddle being dismissed because it's "peasant food" is that the ingredients are things that we eat every day. Spuds, rashers, sausages, onions...& even the things that the weirdos put in, like carrots & celery....are all things that we eat every day. So how can it be peasant food?

If you don't like the look of it, fair enough. Boiled sausages aren't exactly Picasso's when it comes to appearances. If you don't like the taste of it, fair enough. Coddles can be quite salty, due to the fatty rashers used. It may not be everyone's cup of chai latte tea. But the ingredients are still every day things. It's not like you are being asked to put tripe & drisheen, or lambs livers into your gob, or any of the other offal that de poor folk were stuck with back in the day, as it was all they could afford.

(Sorry Dad.)

The irony being that these days you'd pay top prices in some w**ky Michelin star restaurant to eat liver and tripe. Peasant food? Sure there'd be no such thing as French, Spanish, or Italian cuisine without the peasants. We'd all be eating white bread and chicken breasts if it wasn't for the peasantry of Europe, including Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Frank Ryan's on Queen Street used to do a savage bowl of coddle, Haven't been in there in years so don't know if they still do

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Sacksian

I wouldn't consider "peasant food" to be a pejorative term.

Many of the most recognisable dishes from Italian, French, Indian and other famed food cultures are peasant dishes. It just means that they're traditional dishes made, historically by the working classes, from accessible and cheap ingredients.

In that respect, I think the idea that there are (or should be) definitive recipes for a lot of these meals is a bit of a stretch, when they would have been made from whatever was lying about - and only becomes an issue when they stop being real 'peasant' food i.e. put in recipe books or sold in restaurants. There is naturally going to be variations even from family to family.

I ate it a lot during the winter growing up, and, yes, our 1980s coddle included carrots.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 418 ✭✭Confucius say

Well peasant food is good in countries with world famous cuisines like Italy and France! Ireland's peasant food is like the peasant food of an already peasant cuisine! Well we don't really have a cuisine anyway.
    My ma used to feed me some kind of disgusting stew with carrots and potatoes and bits of beef in it nearly every day in the 80s and I hated her for it. Only forgiven her recently and I'm 35 now.
    Also this thing of mashed up bread, milk, and sugar. Jesus Ma leave it out!!

Did you grow up in prison?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

people still eat sausages in this day and age?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

Ah, yes, 'goody', sounds vile, but my dad always wanted it if he was ill. I think it was a treat from his young days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

(Sorry Dad.)
    I'm such a peasant, I love all of the above too :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Plenty of candy sauce, turns it really dark but jaysus it's nice..

Advertisement