Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Coddle in Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭deni20000

Why anyone would eat the vile stuff is beyond me which is why nobody outside Dublin ever eats it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Sacksian wrote: »
    I wouldn't consider "peasant food" to be a pejorative term.

Many of the most recognisable dishes from Italian, French, Indian and other famed food cultures are peasant dishes. It just means that they're traditional dishes made, historically by the working classes, from accessible and cheap ingredients.

In that respect, I think the idea that there are (or should be) definitive recipes for a lot of these meals is a bit of a stretch, when they would have been made from whatever was lying about - and only becomes an issue when they stop being real 'peasant' food i.e. put in recipe books or sold in restaurants. There is naturally going to be variations even from family to family.

I ate it a lot during the winter growing up, and, yes, our 1980s coddle included carrots.

That makes perfect sense in a perfectly logical way....but peoples food likes and dislikes can be a very emotive thing. They often don't have anything to do with the properties of the disliked dish, but because people associate it with something unpleasant, or just over exposure to it. In the case of my Dad, it was his childhood when money was tight.

I am currently watching a great Rick Stein documentary, where he travels from Venice to Istanbul. He covers the regional dishes of all the areas that he travels through. Most of them are simple, rustic food, using very basic ingredients - your classic "peasant food." He uses that phrase a lot, but you can tell that he not being insulting in any way, nor is he looking down on them.

But I wouldn't be surprised if some of the Italian/Croatian villages that he travels through, have younger residents that would turn their noses up at some of the dishes that Rick Stein is being served up by their grandparents and raving over.... because in their mind, they are peasant dishes. It's all about context.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭marvin42

Thank for all the replies and insights. Last Sunday i went to Matt the Rashers and got my first Coddle ever, and I am loving it! Cant understand why it's not more famous/offered in Dublin.
    Next on list is Colcannon!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

ElleEm wrote: »
    I only eat the non meat bit of coddle (spuds, carrotts and onions). I call it coddle soup, it's lovely with bread. My boyfriend loves coddle so I make it for him and freeze it so he can have it when he wants. My da told me once about the freaks who put barley or tomatoes in coddle- even I know how wrong that is!

:o My mother always put tomatoes in the coddle for a bit of colour...sure they'd be boiled away to nothing apart from a few bits of skin anyway. I haven't had coddle in a long time but I wouldn't mind a bowl of it now after reading the thread :pac: It was a weekly staple in our house in the 80s.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Extraplus

The Bakehouse on Bachelor's Walk and at the top of Camden St do a lovely coddle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

its pretty hard not to make a decent one tbh

think of the ingredients and the preparation

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

It has to be the worst food I have ever tasted yuk

thats why so many places probably choose not to serve it, will look bad on them particularly to non irish people eating there

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

thats why so many places probably choose not to serve it, will look bad on them particularly to non irish people eating there

Yet most will eat some unrecognisable shíte while on holidays and think nothing of it.
    The reason it's not widely served IMO is because most don't know how to cook a decent version

21/25

its not rocket science though tbh. It may be a delicacy in some peoples eyes but thinking people dont know to "cook a decent version" is very absurd

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

its not rocket science though tbh. It may be a delicacy in some peoples eyes but thinking people dont know to "cook a decent version" is very absurd

It sure isn't socket science but it's hardly absurd thinking people can't cook a decent one.
    Bloody Nora sure there's people on here that do like coddle and then mentioning carrots, candy sauce and tomatoes as ingredients:eek:.

The trick isn't what goes into a coddle, it's knowing what doesn't go into it that's important.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

**** it, im making a pot this weekend for myself.

My folks' always made it with carrots though, so i'll be going down that route too :P

Slattsy wrote: »
    **** it, im making a pot this weekend for myself.

My folks' always made it with carrots though, so i'll be going down that route too :P

You are dead to me now.

Dead.

As in deader than Mayo's chances of ever winning an All Ireland.

And that's pretty damm dead !!!

:mad::mad::mad:

It is and it isn't. It's a fairly simple dish - in terms of ingredients and preparation. But it is precisely because it is so simple, that if you fcuk up one of the steps, or fcuk up one of the ingredients (like I did recently, when I made a batch using new Cyprus potatoes, that had a horrible "soapy" taste to them,) then you fcuk up the entire dish. There is nothing else you can use, to mask or hide your little boo boo.

My granny was a brilliant baker. Without blinking an eye, she could whip up the most complicated cakes and pies, that would make that Mary Berry wan weep tears of joy. But give her something simple to make, like a scone or a plain Victoria sponge & the end result was usually something you wouldn't feed a dog. 'Tis the same with coddle.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

ProudDUB wrote: »
    You are dead to me now.

Dead.

As in deader than Mayo's chances of ever winning an All Ireland.

And that's pretty damm dead !!!

:mad::mad::mad:

I canhy control how i was reared (my Father was a trained chef too!!) :o

Some very harsh words there :(

Slattsy wrote: »
    I canhy control how i was reared (my Father was a trained chef too!!) :o

Some very harsh words there :(

Just start saying your prayers that Aidan O'Shea doesn't read this thread & maybe we can emerge from all this without too much collateral damage. The carrots have to go though.

• Site Banned Posts: 167 ✭✭Yakkyda

Baxterds! Haven't had it years, now craving it. The aul lad used to make it roughly one or twice a week. It's true it's a "peasant dish" but done right, it's class, whatever the **** ye have, goes in. That's why the ingredients are what they are, it's all people would have to hand. And yep, carrots were used by the aul fella. Celery? Nah. Barley? Sometimes, yeah. The aul lad worked on a farm and around harvest time he'd bring some home, lovely in it when it's that fresh. Tomato?!? That's just taking the piss right there.

Might get the ingredients and badger the aul bollox to whip up a pot at the weekend.

The coachmans at the airport apparently does a fine one, and afterwards ye can wash it down with some very creamy Guinness. Fcuk, there's me dinner and pints for this evening... Roll on six o clock.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

people still eat sausages in this day and age?
    No, nobody eats them, those 6 shelves packed full of sausages in tesco are just for a fucking laugh...

rubadub wrote: »
    No, nobody eats them, those 6 shelves packed full of sausages in tesco are just for a fucking laugh...

or for people with a very very poor diet

Jaysus ye must think people do be atein them morning, noon and night goin' on like that.

I've a fantastic diet, quinoa, gluten free bread, free range(non battery) eggs, kobe beef, fair trade fruit AND coffee, 100% certified organic vegetables, handpicked by buxom maidens...

Still love an aul durty fry a couple a times a week all the same, the works.

Let the air outta yer head will ya ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Yakkyda wrote: »
    Jaysus ye must think people do be atein them morning, noon and night goin' on like that.

I've a fantastic diet, quinoa, gluten free bread, free range(non battery) eggs, kobe beef, fair trade fruit AND coffee, 100% certified organic vegetables, handpicked by buxom maidens...

Still love an aul durty fry a couple a times a week all the same, the works.

Let the air outta yer head will ya ffs.

And the ride, don't forget the ride....

• Advertisement

not yet wrote: »
    And the ride, don't forget the ride....

Before the fry AND after... Then maybe a few lazies, after the football.

I like the cut of your jib my friend.

Anyone who dares to insult sausages (especially Superquin ones) will have to answer to me.

And you have all seen how I reacted to carrots & celery & tomatoes in a coddle.

Trust me.

I won't be pretty.

You have been warned.

That is all.

:mad: :mad: :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Anyone who dares to insult sausages (especially Superquin ones) will have to answer to me.

And you have all seen how I reacted to carrots & celery & tomatoes in a coddle.

Trust me.

I won't be pretty.

You have been warned.

That is all.

:mad: :mad: :mad:

A good auld micky stew ya cant bate it..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

not yet wrote: »
    Plenty of candy sauce, turns it really dark but jaysus it's nice..

Why is it called candy?

If thats what you call worchester sauce.

Ive always called worchester sauce by candy sauce because thats what my parents have always done.

It was only there recently that my OH questioned me about why I call it Candy and I had no answer for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

Sacksian wrote: »
    I wouldn't consider "peasant food" to be a pejorative term.

Many of the most recognisable dishes from Italian, French, Indian and other famed food cultures are peasant dishes. It just means that they're traditional dishes made, historically by the working classes, from accessible and cheap ingredients.

In that respect, I think the idea that there are (or should be) definitive recipes for a lot of these meals is a bit of a stretch, when they would have been made from whatever was lying about - and only becomes an issue when they stop being real 'peasant' food i.e. put in recipe books or sold in restaurants. There is naturally going to be variations even from family to family.

I ate it a lot during the winter growing up, and, yes, our 1980s coddle included carrots.

I think you are confused by the terms working class and peasantry.

deni20000 wrote: »
    Why anyone would eat the vile stuff is beyond me which is why nobody outside Dublin ever eats it.

And also proof that it is not peasant food.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,878 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

ezra_pound wrote: »
    And also proof that it is not peasant food.

Somebody's been reading an introduction to Marxism.

Somebody's been reading an introduction to Marxism.

???

You don't need Marx to reveal that Dublin Coddle isn't made by peasant farmers do you?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,878 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

ezra_pound wrote: »
    ???

You don't need Marx to reveal that Dublin Coddle isn't made by peasant farmers do you?

Who cares? They obviously just meant poor people. Which you presumably know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭GreatDefector

katemarch wrote: »
    A handful of pot-herbs is the only correct Dublin seasoning: a possible garnish of brown sauce is added by some.
    That is absolutely all!

Brown sauce?

Ah man, you've watched too much intermission

Advertisement