Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Ghosting' and 'Shadow Transactions'

Options
  • 11-11-2015 7:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hello,

I've had an issue with paying for items online with my debit card; it appeared I had been charged twice - once at the time of purchase and then in instalments over the next few days. I contacted the company and they said it was a bank issue, not theirs; it's called 'ghosting'; the money is put 'in reserve' but when payment is requested the bank takes money other than that put 'in reserve'.

I also attempted to purchase an item from another website and at payment was told that the transaction had been declined by my bank; after checking my details I attempted to complete payment and was again told the transaction had been declined. However, the money appeared to be taken from my account and when I contacted the company they said it was a 'shadow transaction' and the bank should realise with 48 hours it was not connected to a live transaction; it is now almost 72 full hours and the amount is still missing, despite this transaction apparently being rejected by the bank before completion and the company having no record of this.

I have never had this issue with 'ghosting' etc. before but there is now a good deal of money 'missing' and  I would like to know who I should contact to resolve this.

Thank you.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Sarah

mrsl15 wrote: »
    Hello,

I've had an issue with paying for items online with my debit card; it appeared I had been charged twice - once at the time of purchase and then in instalments over the next few days. I contacted the company and they said it was a bank issue, not theirs; it's called 'ghosting'; the money is put 'in reserve' but when payment is requested the bank takes money other than that put 'in reserve'.

I also attempted to purchase an item from another website and at payment was told that the transaction had been declined by my bank; after checking my details I attempted to complete payment and was again told the transaction had been declined. However, the money appeared to be taken from my account and when I contacted the company they said it was a 'shadow transaction' and the bank should realise with 48 hours it was not connected to a live transaction; it is now almost 72 full hours and the amount is still missing, despite this transaction apparently being rejected by the bank before completion and the company having no record of this.

I have never had this issue with 'ghosting' etc. before but there is now a good deal of money 'missing' and  I would like to know who I should contact to resolve this.

Thank you.
    Hi mrsl15,

Thank you for contacting us here on Boards. 

When a shadow transaction occurs on your account, this happens when a card payment is cancelled or voided at a point of sale online or in a retailer after we have authorised it, and it can take up to five working days to adjust back to your account. Please check your account after five working days and if it does not update, please contact the retailer directly and request a refund from them. 

I hope this helps and please let us know if we can help with any other query. 

Thanks,
    Sarah

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Poncke

I have a question about this as well. 

I had to pay a fine and made a card payment over the phone. Next day I noticed two transactions in my account from the county council with the same amount. The next day one of the transactions was gone. 

In the mean time I had emailed the council about it asking for a refund. So if that was a ghost transaction, I have given out to the council over nothing. LOL. 

Is there no way to prevent these ghost transactions from appearing on 365online? Should be simple stuff really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Sarah

Poncke wrote: »
    I have a question about this as well. 

I had to pay a fine and made a card payment over the phone. Next day I noticed two transactions in my account from the county council with the same amount. The next day one of the transactions was gone. 

In the mean time I had emailed the council about it asking for a refund. So if that was a ghost transaction, I have given out to the council over nothing. LOL. 

Is there no way to prevent these ghost transactions from appearing on 365online? Should be simple stuff really.
    Hi Poncke, 

Thanks for your post here. 

With shadow transactions, we don't have any control over it appearing on your 365 Online, you would need to wait for it to adjust in your transaction listing. 

Thanks,
    Sarah

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Poncke

So you have no control over how bank transactions appear in 365? 

You're a bank right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Evie

Poncke wrote: »
    So you have no control over how bank transactions appear in 365? 

You're a bank right?
    Hi Ponke,

When these transactions are still in progress we do not have control over how they appear, we will note your comments though.

Apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Thanks,

Evie.

• Advertisement
Advertisement