Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

somewhere very cheap to kip

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭nozipcode

6541 wrote: »
    I did a good recky around Dublin on Sunday. There are loads of spots that one can just pull up and park. Like if you are going on the absolute lang why the Fook would ya pay for a hotel.

Because waking up in a car with a crippling hangover is not one of lifes finer sides. And would you not be interesting in maybe bringing someone back to a hotel room for a bit of fun after going on the 'lang'?

It's a little bit 'cheap', maybe. And nothing more of a turn off than someone hitting on you because they have no place to stay for the night. Not saying you do that but plenty do. You should be able to get a room for ~50bucks if you look.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,681 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I did a good recky around Dublin on Sunday. There are loads of spots that one can just pull up and park. Like if you are going on the absolute lang why the Fook would ya pay for a hotel.

It may seem people are hassling you on the thread, but I think some might be right. I know for certain if a Garda sees you in the car (windows steamed up open a crack, an occupied car is very very easy to spot in the winters night!) they will 100% knock on the window, open the door and question you, ask for ID etc... I'm not sure what the law is, but if the keys in the ingition (heat, radio, light etc...) you could be done. Sleeping in a car is manky. Been there, done it on surf trips, always use a tent now (not practical for you obviously).

At least in a hotel or hostel you can have a lie in, breakfast, rehydrate, shower and walk around town till your below the legal limit.

Just sayen!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,852 ✭✭✭✭L1011

John_Rambo wrote: »
    I'm not sure what the law is, but if the keys in the ingition (heat, radio, light etc...) you could be done. !

Will, not could

Even turning the key to get power for electric windows is sufficient to lose your licence.

L1011 wrote: »
    Will, not could

Even turning the key to get power for electric windows is sufficient to lose your licence.

There you go. Someone knows the law better than me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

There you go. Someone knows the law better than me!

OP is from outside dublin.

Exemptions apply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Alias G

But I am a MMA fighter and a keen hurler.

You left out moron.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,455 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

nothing wrong with sleeping in a car! but plenty of good hostels in dublin. standards are generally very good

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭worded

Sleeping in a car locked is an incredibly bad idea as you may still get done for drunk in control of a vehicle.

I thought you had to have the key in the ignition to be done for drink driving? So opening your car while drunk and sleeping in the back seat is drug driving / in control of a vehicle?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭worded

This is what you need OP

+ if you score you can bring her back to your "pad"

Make sure you leave her in first gear for health and safety reasons.

http://m.instructables.com/id/Roof-top-car-camper/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Sleeping in a car locked is an incredibly bad idea as you may still get done for drunk in control of a vehicle.

Once keys are not in ignition not a problem

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭6541

Alias G wrote: »
    You left out moron.

I can't believe people on here. Jasus go out and live a little. if a chap wants to sleep in his car what frigging harm is he doing. Such judgement on here. I think your comment reflects more on you then me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

I can't believe people on here. Jasus go out and live a little.

A fella who won't spring for a bed for the night and wants to sleep in his car with the hurls in the back is telling people to live a little?

You do what you want mate, but you're in no position to tell people how to live

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Are ya not planning on getting your hole?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Folks can we leave out the personal comments and keep things civil

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Hootanany wrote: »
    Once keys are not in ignition not a problem

Once they keys can be found in the car I believe it is. That said until either one of us links the legislation...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Yeah that would be a problem alright. But I am a MMA fighter and a keen hurler. I tend to keep a couple of hurls in the Car. So I would be happy enough to sleep in my car. I have slept in my Car in the North with southern reg and not one sh!t do I give.

Can your hurls put out fires mister... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

worded wrote: »

I thought you had to have the key in the ignition to be done for drink driving? So opening your car while drunk and sleeping in the back seat is drug driving / in control of a vehicle?

There are 2 separate offences DUI and drunk in control of a vehicle, think that is the UK name but we have a similar law. You can get done for the 2nd offence asleep in a car, even in the back seat if you meet the wrong Garda.

You can get a bed in a hostel for 10 don't know why someone would want to sleep in a car to save a tenner, just have one less drink and a comfortable sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭padair

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    nothing wrong with sleeping in a car! but plenty of good hostels in dublin. standards are generally very good

Are the hostels not normally full of homeless people?

On a Friday and a Saturday night there are no Hostels available in Dublin. None. The next availability is sometime in February. Dublin's nightlife is booming and the hotels and Hostels are taking full advantage of it.

padair wrote: »
    Are the hostels not normally full of homeless people?

they're normally full of toursists

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭markc2951

I was done for drunk in charge of a vehicle..it's just I crashed it then was caught standing at the car..but your doing the right thing sleeping in it rather than drive home..a guard won't arrest you for been asleep in it

markc2951 wrote: »
    I was done for drunk in charge of a vehicle..it's just I crashed it then was caught standing at the car..but your doing the right thing sleeping in it rather than drive home..a guard won't arrest you for been asleep in it

I know well, if that was the case most festival goers would be arrested. It would be completely impractical to police ! Go to any of the beach parties on the west coast in summer, if the Gardai were to charge people sleeping in their cars half the kids on the west coast would be arrested in Summer. Some people on here are talking nonsense ! But it's fun all the same !

You can't compare western beach fronts with Dublin city centre. Jaysus

Dodge wrote: »
    You can't compare western beach fronts with Dublin city centre. Jaysus

It's all the same if your sleeping in a car ! A man asleep in a car in Dublin is exactly the same as a man asleep in a car in the west. The common things are a man asleep and a car !

So here is a quick one about urban sleeping. I recommend going to the Fleadh. It is in Ennis next year. Last year it was in Sligo, all we do is find a housing estate and pull onto the green and sleep in our cars. We will do the same in Ennis next year. If hotels and Hostels try to rob you one will always find an alternative !

On a Friday and a Saturday night there are no Hostels available in Dublin. None. The next availability is sometime in February. Dublin's nightlife is booming and the hotels and Hostels are taking full advantage of it.

Generator had rooms when you started this thread.

Don't get so offended by the way. People are trying to help you.
    It's all the same if your sleeping in a car ! A man asleep in a car in Dublin is exactly the same as a man asleep in a car in the west. The common things are a man asleep and a car !

You're being very very naive if you think there's a difference sleeping in a car in the city v sleeping in a car in rural seaside.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭MrMorooka

all we do is find a housing estate and pull onto the green and sleep in our cars.

I'm sure the local residents appreciate the tire tracks on their green space.

They're the only common things.

Generator had rooms when you started this thread.

yeah at over 60 Euro for a shared dorm, so nope not for me !

• Advertisement

yeah at over 60 Euro for a shared dorm, so nope not for me !

No. I checked, it was under €40 for a room back when you started the thread.

Advertisement