Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

somewhere very cheap to kip

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭swervring

Road Traffic Act 2010 Section 5.— (1) A person commits an offence if, when in charge of a mechanically propelled vehicle in a public place with intent to drive or attempt to drive the vehicle (but not driving or attempting to drive it), he or she is under the influence of an intoxicant to such an extent as to be incapable of having proper control of the vehicle.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2010/act/25/section/5/enacted/en/html#sec5

Unlikely, but not impossible, that you would be seen as having an intent to drive when asleep in the back seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭aine92

I think people are being a bit unnecessarily mean here and I'm not sure why.. He asked for advice, some people said yeah you might get done for sleeping in your car but that is his own prerogative. Calling him a moron and otherwise is a bit harsh.

It's Thursday lads lighten up. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Jen44

he's taking the piss is he not?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭6541

Its lucky I have thick Skin !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

aine92 wrote: »
    I think people are being a bit unnecessarily mean here and I'm not sure why.. He asked for advice, some people said yeah you might get done for sleeping in your car but that is his own prerogative. Calling him a moron and otherwise is a bit harsh.

The problem seems more that he's going to go out for the night, presumably get twisted and roll back to the car in the early hours for a sleep, then wake up and drive straight back home before he's fully sobered up.

Have a good night OP, but go for a walk and get some food before you go off driving home. It still counts as drink driving and you can still kill someone in the morning all because you didn't want to shell out for a bed and shower. Bring some bottles too, you'll probably be pissing like a trooper so try not to be the knacker pissing up against peoples walls.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

worded wrote: »
    I thought you had to have the key in the ignition to be done for drink driving? So opening your car while drunk and sleeping in the back seat is drug driving / in control of a vehicle?

Here is a thread worth reading on this subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Could you not buy some food in an 24 hr McDonalds, Sit on one of their couches and go to sleep for a few hours.

Dinner wrote: »
    The problem seems more that he's going to go out for the night, presumably get twisted and roll back to the car in the early hours for a sleep, then wake up and drive straight back home before he's fully sobered up.

Have a good night OP, but go for a walk and get some food before you go off driving home. It still counts as drink driving and you can still kill someone in the morning all because you didn't want to shell out for a bed and shower. Bring some bottles too, you'll probably be pissing like a trooper so try not to be the knacker pissing up against peoples walls.

How are you presuming all of this?
    The one part of this thread I love is the guy that goes around reporting people sleeping in there cars. That is fair funny !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

6541 wrote: »
    The one part of this thread I love is the guy that goes around reporting people sleeping in there cars. That is fair funny !

Yea, Id say the local station are delighted to get the calls.

"Is that right? someone sleeping in a car you say? and they might have been drinking you say? alcohol was it they were drinking? Oh mabey you say? And they might be intending to drive you think?"

Ok sir. we might possibly check this out at some time in the future, mabey.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭HelgaWard

Hi folks going on the lash in Dublin on Saturday night, city centre. Is there anywhere dirt cheap you can recommend or is there anywhere where I could park and kip in the car ? Thanks.

You sound like you are pretty set on sleeping the the car, but if you are still looking for answers to your original question you could try air bnb:

https://www.airbnb.ie/s/Dublin?guests=&checkin=21-11-2015&checkout=22-11-2015&ss_id=6atih52l&source=bb

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

How light would you be at the funeral of your friend or relative killed by some idiot who thought they were grand to drive after getting absolutely wankered, getting a few hours kip in the back of a car and then driving halfway across the country?

It takes literally a second of dropping off on the motorway to cause carnage.

Maybe that's why people are being mean. Perhaps if less people lightened up and thought of the consequences there'd be less people injured or killed on Irish roads. The standard of driving, hazard perception and attitude to driving is crap at the best of times, let alone still pissed from the night before.

But if I see a really bad accident over the weekend down to drink, I just have the lulz yeah?

Please note I refer generally not to our MMA, hurling, economically challenged OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭aine92

How light would you be at the funeral of your friend or relative killed by some idiot who thought they were grand to drive after getting absolutely wankered, getting a few hours kip in the back of a car and then driving halfway across the country?

Maybe that's why people are being mean. Perhaps if less people lightened up and thought of the consequences there'd be less people injured or killed on Irish roads. The standard of driving, hazard perception and attitude to driving is crap at the best of times, let alone still pissed from the night before.

But if I see a really bad accident over the weekend down to drink, I just have the lulz yeah?

Please note I refer generally not to our MMA, hurling, economically challenged OP.

To be fair, does it seem like your opinion is swaying OP? It's also fairly possible that even if someone goes home after a night out and does sleep, you wake up drunk. I know during college I used to go to lectures feeling fairly cut still.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

To be fair, does it seem like your opinion is swaying OP? It's also fairly possible that even if someone goes home after a night out and does sleep, you wake up drunk. I know during college I used to go to lectures feeling fairly cut still.

I absolutely concede it's not swaying the OP. Egging on an idiot (in general terms) doesn't help either though does it?

Yes of course we've all woken up still wankered from the night before. That makes the situation worse not better. Even if the OP gets 8 hours, reasonable sleep - doubtful - and is under the limit he's still likely to be impaired - as or more than someone who slept in a bed - is not at issue really.

The issue in the car is it's more likely he'll get woken up early and I'm sure he'll wait around for a few hours until he's good to drive, really, really sure. He's a grand lad after all, he does MMA and he's a keen hurler.

One's opinions are coloured by one's life experiences. Lets hope you never have reason to as angry as me at these type of threads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Mod note: Reminder of post #45.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

Don't mind them OP. If you want to sleep in the car, work away.
    If you are worried about security, just park it in a 'Dogging' location. These are very safe places to park as they have volunteers with binoculars who will keep a close eye on your car for free. Apparently these volunteers always keep one hand free in case something arises!

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭markc2951

I've slept in the car in a nightclub car park,it's the right thing to do instead of drive..you rebel you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Have a Look on Air B and B and see can you get a room in someones houses fairly cheap ?.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

How are you presuming all of this?

Which bit is difficult?

You said yourself that you're going out on the lash! That doesn't mean a quiet one or two before falling asleep curled up in the back of your nice warm VW Golf. It also usually involves a fair amount of pissing too. Unless your car has a toilet then you'll need somewhere to go, and if you're parked in a residential area then you'll need a bottle unless you're a prick who will do it up against the side of a house.

Alcohol doesn't magically disappear the second you fall asleep, so if you do go "out on the lash" then you will probably be still over the legal limit and present a risk to yourself and more importantly other people. Christ I'm not having a go at you for sleeping in your car, I'm just saying that 60 quid for a hostel isn't a lot when the risk of devastating someones life (no matter how small a chance). Want to save money and sleep in your car? ****ing go for it, just wait a while to have some food, get some air and walk around a bit before you go driving off.

This isn't a matter of "I'm a mad spoon who sleeps in my car stop wrecking my buzz, live a little", it's a matter of are you someone that will drink and drive?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

My mate was on the lash in Maynooth college for Xmas party when he was a student, remember the big snow of 2010? Or was it 2011?

Anyway, he got split from his mates at the pub and club, phone died, he couldn't get in contact to go back to the lads houses and had to sleep in the campus car park in his car - in minus 4 or some madness, along come the boys in blue with no sympathy - as he has the engine on in the car with the heater on, he gets breathalysed - done, and spends 2 years after with no car...

Not worth that OP...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

why dont you offer him a bed if your that concerned?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

If you're single, pull and stay at his/hers for the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,681 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Paully D wrote: »
    If you're single, pull and stay at his/hers for the night.

An urban Bear Grills. Good man Paully... relying on your charm, guile and looks.

6541, you HAVE to tell us what you did and how you got on! Wishing you the best.

I have a question. Where do the good god fearing folk here stand on Camper vans, is it just cars that warrants such reactions ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I have a question. Where do the good god fearing folk here stand on Camper vans, is it just cars that warrants such reactions ?

I'm sure you'll find some of the high horse brigade will have issues with that too! Get yourself a good fry for breakfast the next morning and take a decent stroll and plenty of water before heading home. Try and allow an hour per pint consumed to sober up before driving if you can.

One thing I will say is that unfortunately, this weekend is going to be the first real cold snap of the winter with subzero temps forecasted for Saturday night so just be careful about sleeping in a freezing car with alcohol consumed. Have a sleeping bag, hat and extra jumpers if you do choose the back seat to kip and avoid the temptation to turn on the engine/heat in case you fall asleep...and run out of petrol!! :)

Enjoy the night out and let us know how you got on after. I'm curious to see how you got on!! :D PS the suggestion about hooking up with someone on the night for a free gaff isn't a bad one either! Maybe exercise your pulling power! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

How is it high-horsedness to suggest to someone they're better off getting a bed for the night than kipping in the car in Dublin city centre?

That's just practical advice

Dodge wrote: »
    How is it high-horsedness to suggest to someone they're better off getting a bed for the night than kipping in the car in Dublin city centre?

That's just practical advice

Well it's just funny I have been abused and even threatened with the Gardai for having the cheek of coming up from the country to sleep in my car. It's just funny as, some people on here have jumped to mad conclusions !
    I only intend on doing this the odd Saturday night, now I can relate to the abuse that members of the Travelling community get for sleeping in caravans !https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maxfustXF7A

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

It is hardly the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭SAMTALK

Am I missing something here? Just because OP sleeps in a hostel/hotel rather than a car doesnt make him more likely to have less alcohol in his system. The issue isnt where he sleeps surely but how long he waits before he drives the next day...

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭swervring

I think it's just an assumption (not mine by the way) that once he wakes up, freezing cold and uncomfortable, his first thought is likely to be "ah feck it sure i'm grand I'll just hit the road home". Whereas in a nice warm bed in a B&B/Hostel/Hotel you're much more likely to sleep on a bit.

Just be careful OP once you put the keys in the ignition and have the engine running, there's your intent to drive and you could be done for being over the limit.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

swervring wrote: »
    I think it's just an assumption (not mine by the way) that once he wakes up, freezing cold and uncomfortable, his first thought is likely to be "ah feck it sure i'm grand I'll just hit the road home". Whereas in a nice warm bed in a B&B/Hostel/Hotel you're much more likely to sleep on a bit.

Just be careful OP once you put the keys in the ignition and have the engine running, there's your intent to drive and you could be done for being over the limit.

Also that he probably won't get a proper sleep in a car and likely will only get a few hours broken sleep whereas in a bed he'd get a proper sleep and will be more capable of driving safely when he leaves.

Advertisement