Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

somewhere very cheap to kip

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

For me it's more the ickiness of sleeping in a car. I know if I've been drinking I'm at least going to be bursting for a wee the next morning. Probably more. Add in not showering etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 9,681 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

6541 wrote: »
    Well it's just funny I have been abused and even threatened with the Gardai for having the cheek of coming up from the country to sleep in my car. It's just funny as, some people on here have jumped to mad conclusions !
    I only intend on doing this the odd Saturday night, now I can relate to the abuse that members of the Travelling community get for sleeping in caravans !https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maxfustXF7A

Are you looking for advice or an arguement?

One person called you a moron and the mod rollicked him.

I simply gave you a friendly warning about the Gardai breath testing you in the car. I had your interests at heart. Now you’ve turned it around to me “threatening” you with the Gardai.

Lots and lots of super advice on the thread. I told you about the Generator Hostel and you spoofed up the price. You’re ignoring everyones advice and having a go at people. I have a feeling you've no intention of coming to Dublin and you're on here to troll.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭markc2951

How did you get on ? Cold wasn't it, I was on a camping trip and spent two nights in a hammock l,pretty chilly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭6541

Okay to put it to bed. I found a cheap B&B for 60 Euro. It was an absolute sh!thole. In the morning I looked around and found two great places where one could park and sleep. I will know for again. Thanks to everybody on here, good thread and a bit of craic as well. One thing is that accommodation has really shot up in Dublin on a Saturday night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Name and shame the B&B which is less preferable to sleeping in your wagon.

• Advertisement

Okay to put it to bed. I found a cheap B&B for 60 Euro. It was an absolute sh!thole. In the morning I looked around and found two great places where one could park and sleep. I will know for again. Thanks to everybody on here, good thread and a bit of craic as well. One thing is that accommodation has really shot up in Dublin on a Saturday night.

Ah dude... B&B's are to be avoided all over the country! Hotel prices but crap.

Seriously, try booking Generator earlier next time. It's good. And you'll get to hang out with cute tanned backpackers if you get bored.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

I'm glad you stayed in the B&B OP. I'm sure it was a sh*thole, but it was a damn sight better than sleeping in your car. At least you had the chance of sleeping for a few hours straight - in a car you'd have been constantly woken, with passing traffic / sirens / alarms / people going by.

More seriously, you had a better chance of sleeping off your drink consumption. I don't care where you sleep, you can sleep rough for all I care. I just don't want you on the road if you are not sober. So if you are planning on sleeping in your car, make sure you are sober before you drive away - get some breakfast, fresh air, lots of water, coffee, etc. And as soon as you feel "grand" wait another hour or two to be sure.

Because I sure don't want to see you coming towards me on the wrong side of the road and plowing into my car and killing my kids, just because you're a mad yoke and you're "living a little".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭sean1141

6541 wrote:
    I think you will find that I am not committing any crime and you will find it is perfectly legal to sleep in your car whilst intoxicated.
    No it's not legal.
    L1011 wrote:
    Even turning the key to get power for electric windows is sufficient to lose your licence.
    Having the keys on your person is enough. You can be done for the intent to drive..
    markc2951 wrote:
    I was done for drunk in charge of a vehicle..it's just I crashed it then was caught standing at the car..but your doing the right thing sleeping in it rather than drive home..a guard won't arrest you for been asleep in it
    Yes they will arrest you. Happened to a good friend of mine.
    3 year ban for sleeping in his car..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

sean1141 wrote: »
    No it's not legal.

Correct. According to the Roads Traffic act, the legal definition is being in charge of a motorized vehicle, while under the influence of intoxicating substances.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1961/act/24/section/50/enacted/en/html
    (2) A person who, when in charge of a mechanically propelled vehicle which is in a public place with intent to drive or attempt to drive the vehicle, but not driving or attempting to drive the vehicle, is unfit to drive the vehicle shall be guilty of an offence.

Whether or not you decide to go for a drive, or take 40 winks, is entirely is up to you, but you are still in charge of the vehicle & you can get done for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

sean1141 wrote: »
    Having the keys on your person is enough. You can be done for the intent to drive..
    That's why you leave the key inside one of the wheels of the car. ;)

I've been told by a reliable source that there is a B&B on Dorset Street which offers room only from €30 upwards per night, though booking is on a week to week basis and a weekend premium may apply. Don't be out off by Dorset Street, the most dangerous thing about is the wide selection of cheap takeaways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Canadel wrote: »
    That's why you leave the key inside one of the wheels of the car. ;)

Like it would never occur to a Guard to shine his torch around the wheels of the car? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Like it would never occur to a Guard to shine his torch around the wheels of the car? ;)
    Honestly Guard, I have no idea how that got there..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 266 ✭✭Clive Bisquette

Thanks for that, yeah I think that will be the plan. feck me the prices in Dublin have really shot up !

Don't mind me sayin pal but you come across as a right cheap peice of goods.?

"I'm going on the lash in Dublin and looking for a cheap place to kip"

Probably hoping that some gullible fool here will offer you a bed ....news for you Dude ...if you have enough dosh to go on the lash in Dublin..well then you should have enough to get yourself somewhere to kip.

Just sayin....

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭ScottStorm

Dublin people come across as a friendly bunch on this thread.

ScottStorm wrote: »
    Dublin people come across as a friendly bunch on this thread.

Yes, dozens and dozens of really helpful advice. What's your advice? Or are you just here to bitch?

You seem sound.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Last 3 posters. Knock it off/Play nice or don't post

Advertisement