Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

criminal court area...

Options
  • 11-11-2015 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭

Is the position of the new criminal court a positive or negative for the area....does the foot fall and business of the courts add to this area or is this economic gain out weighed by the scobe clients of the court hanging about?

Reason i ask is that a new criminal court is being built in limerick,my sister lives near the site and is thinking of selling up/ moving home for fear of a negative effect on life and property price....i would have presumed the oppsite?? cant decide.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

It's a court, not a jail - the clients are not going to move into the area so they can be closer to the courts.

To my mind it'll attract well-paid legal people to the area who want to be able to stroll down from their offices, enjoy their prawn sandwiches for lunch in a nice gastro pub, and get a pint of 10 in after work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭crackcrack30

Funny that you mentioned the jail..... its moving to a site beside the jail...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

I lived very close to the present CCJ site a few years before it was built. There are a lot more shops and services around there now. The parking's got worse though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,878 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

The new courts building in Limerick will have a decent amount of office space and will house a decent number of permanent courts staff. Add to that solicitors and other legal professionals coming and going, jurors, witnesses and people with an interest in a case (both for the victim and the accused) so there will be a good footfall generated in the area. I would have thought that a good proportion of the people brought before the court in Limerick will be for traffic offences, non payment of fines, etc. not necessarily total scumbags.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭crackcrack30

Good point.... what i did however notice from the current courts position is that there is an element of the hanger on 'pyjama' brigade.
    .....but one fault/ shortfall of the current old location is that the only place for people to congregate is outside the front door of the courts due to its size where they are on full view.

• Advertisement
Advertisement