Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

problem with led G4 bulb replacement (LED)

Options
  • 11-11-2015 9:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

I have a strange problem with some G4 LED bulbs that I bought to replace some halogen ones in some under cabinet lights in the kitchen.

The light fixtures use 3 halogen G4 bulbs which are rated at max 20w (12v).

I purchased some 2w G4 LED lights on ebay.

The replacement bulbs will not work in on their own.
    They do flash for a moment when switched on but then they go off, and then they retain a very faint glow.

The curious part is that if I leave one of the halogen bulbs in, with 2 or less LEDs then the LEDs will work.
    I've tried changing the polarity etc but they will act the same.

This behaviour is the same if 1 use 1,2 or 3 LEDS in the strip. Once I put back on one halogen bulb the whole strip works again.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

The transformers for supplying the 12v probably need a minimum load. The leds are too small a load.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭bitethebullet

Bruthal wrote: »
    The transformers for supplying the 12v probably need a minimum load. The leds are too small a load.[/QUOTE

Had the same issue

• Registered Users Posts: 20 theboyhurley

Had the same issue

What did you do to resolve?

I mentioned this briefly to someone else and I was told that this is solvable by adding a resistor.
    I looked up various sites to try and work out what level of resistor I need.
    I'm not sure I'm even representing the inputs properly, plus I have 3 leds in series.

Anyway here are the details from my transformer.. should any be able to work it out:

pri: 220-240v 50/60Hz 0.25A
    sec: 12V eff, 20-60A 5A
    cos=0.98

My new leds are 12V 2W each (3 of)

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭bitethebullet

Mine was a hall light. Smae craic 12V xformer. 5 lights on it. When i replaced the 5 with led's same story as you so i was left 1 of the old bulbs in and the rest led and it was fine.

Advertisement