Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PPSN and purchasing a house

Options
  • 11-11-2015 9:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭

Hi,

Myself and the wife plan to move to Ireland from Denmark some time next year. We are in the process of buying a house and it was mention to me that you need a PPSN to complete purchase. Is this correct?

My wife is Danish and has only lived in Ireland when she studied at university so I presume she has no PPSN. Is it awkward to obtain such a number and how long time does it take? Why is the number necessary? Is it related to paying Stamp Duty? Does it make any difference that we are living abroad and will continue to do so until after the purchase is completed?

Thanks,

Barra

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,910 ✭✭✭✭L1011

As you guessed, its required for paying stamp duty.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

If your wife doesn't have one already, then your solicitor who is helping with the purchase will arrange to get a number for you: there are very few situations where someone not living here can get a post, this is one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

It will also be needed to pay Local Property Tax.

The solicitor may need to get your formal ID, e.g. passport, driving licence, to process things.

Advertisement