Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick FC 2016 Season

• 11-11-2015 9:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,670 ✭✭✭✭

Stealing jofspring's thunder and starting a new thread.

The dust hasn't fully settled on the old one yet, but we know that Limerick will be in the first division for the 2016 after our relegation from the premier this year.

Assuming that all teams want to stay and meet licensing, the list of teams in the First Division will be:

• Athlone Town
    • Cabinteely FC
    • Cobh Ramblers
    • Drogheda United
    • Limerick FC
    • Shelbourne
    • UCD
    • Waterford United
    As there are only 8 teams, each team plays its 7 opponents 4 times, twice home and twice away.

We also know that Martin Russell has been confirmed as staying on for the next season.

We will likely lose players and hopefully bring in players before the start of the season in March. We can keep people updated on this thread.

You can follow the club and developments through their website, and also through the facebook page, and on twitter.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

That's not really fair now, Joyspring called the fact that he wanted to start the new thread and he has started the last few so I think it's only fair that they are given the opportunity to start it, if they don't want to then they can PM me and I'll reopen this 1.

I used to mod the Rugby and GAA forums as well and posters used to "call" starting certain threads so I'm just following that thought process by the way, the season isn't a week over yet so I don't think there's a major panic.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Joyspring is ok with this so so am I. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,670 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Clareman wrote: »
    Joyspring is ok with this so so am I. :)

Apologies to Jofspring if I stepped on his or anybody's toes, just wanted to turn over a new leaf and stop visiting that old thread!

Anyhow, to carry something over from that old thread to this new thread, Limerick have made two very positive announcements tonight about next season: both Freddy Hall and Shane Tracy have signed up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭Jofspring

�� nice one Clareman.

Some good news tonight anyway with the re-signings of Freddy Hall and Shane Tracey on two year deals. More business being done early by Limerick also which is great to see.

2016 Squad:

Freddy Hall
    Shaun Kelly
    Shane Tracey
    Paudie O'Connor
    Killian Brouder
    Sean McSweeney
    Robbie Williams

Jofspring wrote: »
    More business being done early by Limerick also which is great to see.
    After the shambles of last season's pre-season, this is great to see, lets hope it continues.

• Advertisement

Robbie Williams signs a one-year contract with Limerick.

Also, Willie John Boland has signed a 3-year contract to be in charge of the underage set-up.

Paul O'Conor has re-signed with the club.

I'm happy with that news.

Limerick FC Squad as it stands. Looking good at the moment with the club still talking to a few more of last seasons squad and trying to bring players in.

Freddy Hall
    Shaun Kelly
    Shane Tracey
    Paudie O'Connor
    Killian Brouder (19's but a big prospect)
    Sean McSweeney(same as Killian)
    Robbie Williams
    Paul O'Connor
    Shane Duggan

Limerick FC Squad as it stands. Looking good at the moment with the club still talking to a few more of last seasons squad and trying to bring players in.

Freddy Hall
    Shaun Kelly
    Shane Tracey
    Paudie O'Connor
    Paul O'Connor
    Shane Duggan

Posted this in the old thread by mistake, but Duggan staying with us is great news.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Freddy Hall
    Shaun Kelly
    Shane Tracey
    Paudie O'Connor
    Robbie Williams
    Paul O'Connor
    Shane Duggan

Forgot robbie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,929 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Great bit of business done by Limerick this early on, won't be long until news about Lee J is announced I'd say.

Hopefully there is some news regrading the transfer speculation also.

Season tickets also gone on sale today.

Season tickets also gone on sale today.

How much are they this year?

How much are they this year?

http://www.limerickfc.ie/2016-promotion-push-season-tickets-now-on-sale

Full list there. Some good value on the family tickets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭overshoot

http://www.limerickfc.ie/2016-promotion-push-season-tickets-now-on-sale

Full list there. Some good value on the family tickets.
    as someone who had been all too used to D1, those are probably going to be the dearest ST in the division.
    Actually was looking for last years D1 figures but stumbled into your own, considering you will have 2/3 less home games, its not great that the terrace tickets have remained the same. Third level prices have actually gone up!

For the record seeing the existence of corporate tickets makes me feel bad about my own club! With the squad ye have so far its a good start towards bouncing straight back tho.

Still 15e and 12e for tickets? Thought prices were cheaper for first division clubs, was only a tenner up at Finn Harps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭overshoot

Still 15e and 12e for tickets? Thought prices were cheaper for first division clubs, was only a tenner up at Finn Harps
    Shels keep it at 15 for adults also (no terrace), Harps would have charged 12 to the stand, 10 terrace - I think most D1 clubs were just 10e general admission for adults

In fairness Shels are tried and tested, they know the crowd wont increase enough to offset the 5e less per person

overshoot wrote: »
    Shels keep it at 15 for adults also (no terrace), Harps would have charged 12 to the stand, 10 terrace - I think most D1 clubs were just 10e general admission for adults

In fairness Shels are tried and tested, they know the crowd wont increase enough to offset the 5e less per person

Ah right, hopefully the crowds keep coming to the markets field. The club has massive potential but needs the fans to be coming out in force week in week out

As was said to me tonight, the club have kept the price it was in the premier but they are also signing a premier quality players. The club also consulted with a good few regulars on their opinions before deciding the price .

The price is fair enough when you consider Jackman was €10 and €12. The Markets Field will be €12 and €15. You will have a better facility and a better team than a lot of what we had over the years in division 1.

• Advertisement

As was said to me tonight, the club have kept the price it was in the premier but they are also signing a premier quality players. The club also consulted with a good few regulars on their opinions before deciding the price .

The price is fair enough when you consider Jackman was €10 and €12. The Markets Field will be €12 and €15. You will have a better facility and a better team than a lot of what we had over the years in division 1.

Makes sense, hopefully a lot of people who showed up for the Harps game at home see it that way. Atmosphere that night was electric, if half of that crowd showed up we'll be doing very good.

Makes sense, hopefully a lot of people who showed up for the Harps game at home see it that way. Atmosphere that night was electric, if half of that crowd showed up we'll be doing very good.

Ya agree Johnny. If we could get 1,000 average it would even be brilliant. Most likely double the next nearest attendance in the division. Club need to be realistic though and say approx 700 in the gate to be on the safe side.

Ya agree Johnny. If we could get 1,000 average it would even be brilliant. Most likely double the next nearest attendance in the division. Club need to be realistic though and say approx 700 in the gate to be on the safe side.

Yeah I know what you mean, I'd say you'd have the solid core of 700 to 800 who'll be there because they want to see there team play and the rest will come depending on results and style of play

You probably seen it yourself in that you win one week and you'll get about 200 fans extra to show up at the next game and lose that game and you'll be down 300 the week after.

Limerick FC In:

Chris Mulhall (UCD

Formerly of Shels and Shamrock Rovers also.

Is he any good? Never heard of him.

Is he any good? Never heard of him.

His decent, will be a good first division player

Well as I said I've not really heard of him but if he's just a stop gap until the club gets promoted again then surely this would have been a good chance to give some youth players a chance.

Well as I said I've not really heard of him but if he's just a stop gap until the club gets promoted again then surely this would have been a good chance to give some youth players a chance.

Nah wouldn't consider him a stop gap. He has been playing LOI for years and is only 27. Experience will be key at getting back up. Won the first division under Martin Russell and was on the verge again last season with UCD. Pretty sure he was a part of the last Shels team that got promoted also.

We have 10 signed at the moment so plenty of space there for some of the younger lads.

Nah wouldn't consider him a stop gap. He has been playing LOI for years and is only 27. Experience will be key at getting back up. Won the first division under Martin Russell and was on the verge again last season with UCD. Pretty sure he was a part of the last Shels team that got promoted also.

We have 10 signed at the moment so plenty of space there for some of the younger lads.

But it ain't like Limerick were really short on experience though. You've got the likes of Duggie, Paul O'Conner and hopefully Lee J (only putting his name up because I honestly believe he'll re-sign, talk is he was waiting to see what happened with Duggie). Those three have bags of experience as premier division players, Duggie and Lynch have the experience of being over in England too.

Move to the back five and you've got Freddie and Robbie who have bags of experience playing in multiple countries and Freddie being a full international. Shane and Shaun know the club well and played on the team which got promoted the last time.

What's your honest opinion on Martin Russell and do you think he should have been kept on as manager?

• Advertisement

But it ain't like Limerick were really short on experience though. You've got the likes of Duggie, Paul O'Conner and hopefully Lee J (only putting his name up because I honestly believe he'll re-sign, talk is he was waiting to see what happened with Duggie). Those three have bags of experience as premier division players, Duggie and Lynch have the experience of being over in England too.

Move to the back five and you've got Freddie and Robbie who have bags of experience playing in multiple countries and Freddie being a full international. Shane and Shaun know the club well and played on the team which got promoted the last time.

What's your honest opinion on Martin Russell and do you think he should have been kept on as manager?

Key to getting out of the first division has always been bags of experience. You need it on the pitch but also on the bench for when things aren't going your way.

Ya I think he probably should as the players seem to like him and maybe it was key to holding onto players also.

So far we have only lost one from last season, Ian Turner to Cork.

Russell needs to adapt his game plans better though, it's probably my only criticism of him.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement