Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick FC 2016 Season

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,670 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Sorry, the next game is not at home to Athlone - I said that was Tuesday Sept 27th, but it is actually Tuesday October 4th.

The next game is away to Cobh, this Saturday, at 7.15pm.

A couple of videos:
    League cup final highlights:

Robbie Williams' equaliser from last Friday:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,929 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Cracking finish by Robbie and possibly Limericks player of the year imo.

Cobh Ramblers 2-0 Limerick

Well, it finally happened - our unbeaten run came to an end in Cobh tonight. It was an atrocious performance, but it had been coming for quite a while. If my memory is correct, we didn't have a shot on target in the entire game, and allowed Cobh to boss us all over the pitch.

In the first half they were hungrier and busier but didn't create too much, but in the second they stepped it up a bit more. We were warned when they had a header against the post, and they took the lead when a terrible piece of goalkeeping from Freddy Hall saw a strong shot from 25 yards out slip through his fingers.

Soon after that, Shane Duggan was harshly sent off for bringing down a Cobh attacker. It was a definite yellow but never a red. And soon after that it was two. Robbie Williams got outpaced down the left, and even though Hall made an excellent save from the shot, it rebounded kindly for the striker to score at the second attempt.

It was up to us to finally get our act together, but we never did. The substitutions were baffling (Mulhall and Lynch off for Kelly and Coughlan when we are down 2-0??) and it was easy for Cobh in the end.

Finally, to add another element of misery, after the final whistle some Limerick lads got onto the pitch and threw a few slaps at some departing Cobh fans.

Just a horrible night really.

Next game: Home to Athlone, Tuesday Oct 4th, 7.45

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 431 ✭✭Killergreene

Disgraceful performance and the usual thuggery from some Limerick fans who appear to be a little bit closer to their base roots than the rest of us. Russell needs to go. I hope the loyalty club /BAWA identifies the thugs and bans them. Pure scum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Disgraceful performance and the usual thuggery from some Limerick fans who appear to be a little bit closer to their base roots than the rest of us. Russell needs to go. I hope the loyalty club /BAWA identifies the thugs and bans them. Pure scum

Jaysus you only post negative stuff on our season...

Now i wasn't there last night, it may have been bad, but they hasn't been any issues with our fans in a long while. Unlike the pats fans at the league cup final, 4 of them ejected for numerous reasons(told this from one of the guard's working there). Football will always attract so stupid people who will act stupid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32 E.Scifo

We were brutal on the night. Cobh were up for it and won every 50 50 but we still looked comfortable until they hit the post early in the 2nd half. Freddy then made a howler but the turning point was the sending off. At best a yellow card and a terrible decision to send him off. I think faith would have me believe that we would again score a late late goal to keep the unbeaten record going but it was never going to happen once Duggan was gone.

Cobh's away stand has a 2 foot gap at the top running the length of it and 2 (I think ) local scum balls did their best to throw 5 or 6 rocks through it from outside the ground. If they had being lucky they would have done serious damage to someone.

The end of the game was a joke. Cobh's singing section which comprised of what looked like 50 transition year boys and girls were going home when 1 of our idiots first ran on to the pitch and then ran at them, jumped into them and started throwing digs. These were kids (I would like to see the same knob jump into the Pats or Rovers end :o) and his actions a disgrace. Unfortunately he did not get the **** kicked out of him but the officials of the club saw him and he needs to get banned from home games. 4 others half followed him but more in a what the f u c k is he doing.

Then we had the blue army boys arguing before 1 slap was thrown and then the same officials trying to hold them back. In fairness this was harmless but deeply embarrassing as it the Cobh fans looked on trying not to wet themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Plastic English hooligans infesting Limerick FC? They should get a kicking by their own fans, to let it be known it won't be tolerated.

Russell needs to go.

Russell out :rolleyes:

Jesus what ever must you have thought of Billy Kinnane

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 431 ✭✭Killergreene

E.Scifo wrote: »
    We were brutal on the night. Cobh were up for it and won every 50 50 but we still looked comfortable until they hit the post early in the 2nd half. Freddy then made a howler but the turning point was the sending off. At best a yellow card and a terrible decision to send him off. I think faith would have me believe that we would again score a late late goal to keep the unbeaten record going but it was never going to happen once Duggan was gone.

Cobh's away stand has a 2 foot gap at the top running the length of it and 2 (I think ) local scum balls did their best to throw 5 or 6 rocks through it from outside the ground. If they had being lucky they would have done serious damage to someone.

The end of the game was a joke. Cobh's singing section which comprised of what looked like 50 transition year boys and girls were going home when 1 of our idiots first ran on to the pitch and then ran at them, jumped into them and started throwing digs. These were kids (I would like to see the same knob jump into the Pats or Rovers end :o) and his actions a disgrace. Unfortunately he did not get the **** kicked out of him but the officials of the club saw him and he needs to get banned from home games. 4 others half followed him but more in a what the f u c k is he doing.

Then we had the blue army boys arguing before 1 slap was thrown and then the same officials trying to hold them back. In fairness this was harmless but deeply embarrassing as it the Cobh fans looked on trying not to wet themselves.

Fairly accurate account, kiely threw a few thumps though. Bad element underpinning the loyalty club I feel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Limerick 1 Athlone Town 0

Back to winning ways tonight.
    Paul O'Connor scoring the winner on 76 mins.

• Advertisement

Limerick 1-0 Athlone

(Paul O'Conor)

The lowest crowd of the season saw Limerick grind out a win against Athlone tonight. Half of our team was made up of young lads, with Tommy Holland, Sean McSweeney, Colm Murphy and Garbhan Coughlan all starting. We were industrious and created a few decent chances in the first half, but more often than not the final ball was a bit under or overhit. 0-0 at half-time.

In the second we continued to press, and were creating better chances, but the Athlone goalkeeper was in fine form, making a number of good saves. We brought on Mulhall and O'Flynn, and then O'Conor, to try and add some experience, and it was O'Conor who headed in a cross, although the keeper really should have done better, as it slipped through his grasp.

I hoped we'd push on, but instead Athlone pressed us, and Tommy Holland had to make 2 or 3 good saves of his own in the last 10 minutes, but we hung on for the win.

Our next game is home to Drogheda this Saturday, and after the game we will be presented with the First Division trophy. After that, there will be a 'night of celebration'...can't remember where, maybe the Absolute Hotel. Radisson hotel, thanks Jofspring. No idea what that involves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Night of celebration is in the radisson. €25 for 3 course meal, awards ceremony and entertainment or €10 just for the awards ceremony and entertainment.

Hi all, just to highlight something that caught me by surprise - tonight's game with Drogheda will kick off at 5.30, not at the usual time of 6.30.

Limerick 2-1 Drogheda

(O'Conor, Williams)

Limerick finished their home games this season with a win against 2nd placed Drogheda tongight, and received the First Division trophy afterwards, all in front of a decent crowd.

We started brightly and worked hard from the start, and took the lead within 10 minutes as a Shane Tracy cross was glanced into the bottom right corner by Paul O'Conor. We kept pressing and we made it two when Shane Tracy sent in a free-kick and Robbie Williams headed home. We were in control and it might have stayed that way, but Chris Mulhall, who had already been booked for blocking a quick free-kick, was given a second yellow card for a dive in the penalty area. He was incensed and had to be kept away from the linesman who had made the decision for the referee.

That allowed Drogheda to press more, but we held out fairly comfortably until half-time, and we continued to be comfortable in the second half, playing mostly on the counter and creating a couple of good chances of our own while limiting Drogheda.

With the Limerick Blue Army in fine voice, singing a song for each player, Drogheda finally did get one late on, when a cross from the left was headed past Hall, but just as it looked like we'd be under real pressure, one of their players stupidly kicked out at one of ours for a straight red, and we finished the game without any real trouble.

Shane Duggan was the man to lift the trophy in the stand.

Next game, last game of the season: Away to Cabinteely, Sunday October 16th.

14650316_1321031027915640_3802331202326643022_n.jpg?oh=200d356630ce37a308450478863582a2&oe=58675805

14570355_1321031101248966_7448906711884754992_n.jpg?oh=ceb1739d5fbd1d34096e542c151ec604&oe=58A6E787

https://twitter.com/ckSportLeader/status/785500264388263936?s=04

Say goodbye to the lovely pitch if this becomes more then a one off.

I'd imagine the Limerick FC grounds man and the club won't be too happy that the pitch they have pumped a lot of money into is going to get torn up. Let's hope it's not a regular situation as I can't see the club being able to keep the pitch in good nick.

Outside of the game above and maybe the odd Munster underage game you'd hope that is the most it will be used.

Jofspring wrote: »
    I'd imagine the Limerick FC grounds man and the club won't be too happy that the pitch they have pumped a lot of money into is going to get torn up. Let's hope it's not a regular situation as I can't see the club being able to keep the pitch in good nick.

Outside of the game above and maybe the odd Munster underage game you'd hope that is the most it will be used.

Talk is they want to try and get schools rugby played in the Markets Field which normally runs from mid January to mid March. There was rumours the LEDP wanted to try and get Garryowen back playing senior games in the Markets Field but cant see that happening.

Ya not a hope garryowen would do that. They have 3 grass pitches, a full size Astro and a clubhouse with a bar in Dooradoyle which costs them nothing in rent. Can't see them paying €2,000 to play a game in a venue that will have no other revenue stream for them.

Cabinteely 0-1 Limerick

(Russell)

Limerick finished the season with a laboured win tonight in Cabinteely.

We were our usual sluggish selves for most of the game, while Cabinteely were fairly industrious, but without doing us much damage. They could have had a goal or two though, if they'd had a better striker , rather than Hall keeping efforts out.

We improved slightly in the second half, and got a goal when Kelly crossed, Kenny glanced the ball on, and Sean Russel dived to head into the bottom left corner. After that we were happy to pass it round and keep it at 1-0, and Cabinteely had little to threaten us.

We finish the season with a record of 24 wins, 3 draws, and 1 defeat from 28 games. It was a procession to the title really, and all eyes will be on what happens in the transfer windows before next season's Premier Division begins.

osarusan wrote: »
    Cabinteely 0-1 Limerick

(Russell)

Limerick finished the season with a laboured win tonight in Cabinteely.

We were our usual sluggish selves for most of the game, while Cabinteely were fairly industrious, but without doing us much damage. They could have had a goal or two though, if they'd had a better striker , rather than Hall keeping efforts out.

We improved slightly in the second half, and got a goal when Kelly crossed, Kenny glanced the ball on, and Sean Russel dived to head into the bottom left corner. After that we were happy to pass it round and keep it at 1-0, and Cabinteely had little to threaten us.

We finish the season with a record of 24 wins, 3 draws, and 1 defeat from 28 games. It was a procession to the title really, and all eyes will be on what happens in the transfer windows before next season's Premier Division begins.

Hopefully the will he won't he stay surrounding MR gets sorted out early. With the first division finished two weeks before the premier hopefully it gives Limerick extra time to sort out the little things before other players and possibly managers become available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Hopefully the will he won't he stay surrounding MR gets sorted out early. With the first division finished two weeks before the premier hopefully it gives Limerick extra time to sort out the little things before other players and possibly managers become available.

Theres talk of him not staying on?

Won league at a canter, cup final appearance..

He can't be let go ffs!

bennyl10 wrote: »
    Theres talk of him not staying on?

Won league at a canter, cup final appearance..

He can't be let go ffs!

There's rumours that he could be in for the Rovers job. But with this being silly season you've gotta take everything with a pinch of salt.

You or I could have won that league with the squad and money that was available to him.

Martin will be there next year.

The questions have been over his lack of plan B and adapting the team to the players available. Fairly reasonable questions when you consider the opposition next year will be light years ahead of what we played this season. I would say it's the worst first division there has ever been. The worst I have ever seen anyway.

Jofspring wrote: »
    Martin will be there next year.

The questions have been over his lack of plan B and adapting the team to the players available. Fairly reasonable questions when you consider the opposition next year will be light years ahead of what we played this season. I would say it's the worst first division there has ever been. The worst I have ever seen anyway.

Possibly my one and only gripe with Martin is this and it's also the reason why I don't think Rovers would consider him right now apart from maybe an assistants role like he had at Pats.

I hope he stays on as really there isn't that many good managers floating around in Ireland whose available apart from maybe Pat Fenlon but couldn't see a lot of fans taking a liking to him and Martin does try and play good football a lot of the time to be fair to him but really needs to come up with that plan B and maybe he'll find it with some good investment in the transfer market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Paddico

Any update on further developments at the Markets field in the off season?

Paddico wrote: »
    Any update on further developments at the Markets field in the off season?

Just general cleaning and maintenance of stuff that needs to be fixed I'd say. Any upgrade of the stadium is up to the LEDP though not the club.

Any upgrade of the stadium is up to the LEDP though not the club.
    And that won't be happening. LEDP feel that the current setup is enough to cater for Limerick's needs.

osarusan wrote: »
    And that won't be happening. LEDP feel that the current setup is enough to cater for Limerick's needs.

Need to be getting the crowds though to justify spending more on infrastructure plus if Limerick are the only tenants then you won't be making your money back any time soon unless they get the council involved like Bohs and Rovers have done

Day before the cup final though one of the workers from the civic trust doing work for the LEDP did say that something could be getting done with the grass bank on the popular side, think he said they're digging it up or something but not building anything.

Limerick FC U-19 team won the U-19 Shield tonight at the Markets Field, beating Bohemians 3-1 in the final, with 2 goals in the final minutes.

Hopefully we will see more of these players in the future - a few have already made senior team appearances.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Need to be getting the crowds though to justify spending more on infrastructure plus if Limerick are the only tenants then you won't be making your money back any time soon unless they get the council involved like Bohs and Rovers have done

Day before the cup final though one of the workers from the civic trust doing work for the LEDP did say that something could be getting done with the grass bank on the popular side, think he said they're digging it up or something but not building anything.

So effectively making the popular side useless, no vantage point

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement