Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick FC 2016 Season

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,670 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

The Markets Field won the LOI pitch of the season. Well done to everybody who kept in such great condition and lets hope there isn't much rugby to damage it.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Bitconfused

So effectively making the popular side useless, no vantage point

I've been to most home games this year and it would be a pity to flatten this area. Especially when you would expect improves attendances next year. It's a nice spot to watch a game on a summer evening.

Does anyone know why this is being done? Surely it makes no sense to level it unless theres going to be a terrace or stand built. I'd prefer if it was left as is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,929 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

I've been to most home games this year and it would be a pity to flatten this area. Especially when you would expect improves attendances next year. It's a nice spot to watch a game on a summer evening.

Does anyone know why this is being done? Surely it makes no sense to level it unless theres going to be a terrace or stand built. I'd prefer if it was left as is

Was only passed in comment by a worker who was doing maintenance on behalf of the LEDP. He could have been talking shite and might not happen or then again it could be flattened to make way for a new terrace or stand in time. But I can't see the LEDP building anything in the MF unless demand for tickets are there and with LOI we all know it can be there one week and gone again the next week if you lose. If they were smart they should get onto the council and see if they'd like to help out like DCC and DSCC are doing with the Dublin clubs.

Since no one else has posted the PFAI team of the year in the three weeks since it was announced I'm guessing there isn't much interest. Fair enough I suppose. If for nothing other than appearances it would look ridiculous if all eleven players came from the same team, but still, did Ryan Swan from UCD really deserve a spot so much more than John O'Flynn?

Since no one else has posted the PFAI team of the year in the three weeks since it was announced I'm guessing there isn't much interest. Fair enough I suppose. If for nothing other than appearances it would look ridiculous if all eleven players came from the same team, but still, did Ryan Swan from UCD really deserve a spot so much more than John O'Flynn?

Think it's more some people just wanna put the first division behind them and look forward to next season and see who is brought in to strengthen the squad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Bitconfused

So lads, any names flying about for leaving or joining? I id say maybe greene will look at a move to the capital. Does anyone know which players have re signed or is it too early for that?

Russell will be manager for next season.
    Mike Aherne (@AherneMike95):

Limerick fc manager for 2017 season will be Martin Russell. Big season ahead for him and club

I don't know if there was any issue about it other than it not being announced yet, but now we know.

Hopefully we can start signing a few players now.

osarusan wrote: »
    Russell will be manager for next season.

I don't know if there was any issue about it other than it not being announced yet, but now we know.

Hopefully we can start signing a few players now.

Not Russell's biggest fan but with the limited number of managers here in Ireland who'd be an upgrade to Russell (Only one whose not employed that I can think of is Fenlon) then it's better to have a bit of continuity and let him have a proper crack at the Premier Division this year.

Yeah hopefully we hear something soonish on the players front because you hear all sorts of rumours about certain players and just drives you nuts when your waiting to hear anything haha.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭Jofspring

As far as I know as already have;

Paudie O Connor
    Shane Duggan
    Lee Lynch
    Paul O Connor
    Freddie Hall
    Shane Tracey

Possibly:
    Shaun Kelly
    Robbie Williams

Chris Mulhall has signed for next season, and Joe Gamble has come on board as the strength and conditioning coach.

Gamble is only 34...I wonder would we ever see him play a game?

• Advertisement

Chris Mulhall has signed for next season, and Joe Gamble has come on board as the strength and conditioning coach.

Chris would make a great impact sub for next season, if someone better is brought in I couldntt think of anyone better to bring on for the last 20 or 30 minutes.

Heard about Gamble a couple of months ago from a lad, said he was back in ireland working with cover coaching and doing strength and conditioning who said he'd been talking with Gamble who said he'd jump at the chance to return as part of the coaching staff.

Him maybe signing up as a player/coach wouldn't be a bad idea, wouldn't make a bad back up player for cup games and would have huge experience to pass on to the youngsters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

It seems a few LOI players are retiring younger.

Joe Gamble 34
    Stephan Rice 32
    Stephan Bradley 31-32?
    Pat Flynn 31
    Denis Behan 29(at the time he disappear off the footballing map)

Brendan Clarke, Dave O'Connor and Ian Turner sign for Limerick.

Brendan Clarke
    The goalkeeper?

Are we losing Hall or Holland?

The goalkeeper?

Are we losing Hall or Holland?

Hall is signed up for next season I think so unless someone (Dundalk) pay for him I don't think he's leaving and Tommy still has another year of 19s left but the club has two younger lads playing 17s so probably Tommy to go get first team football.

Garban Coughlin, Tony Whitehead and Robbie Williams signed back up for next season.

Aaron Greene signing for Bray.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Aaron Greene signing for Bray.

Shaun Kelly not being re-signed apparently, if true its a terrible decision.

Shaun Kelly not being re-signed apparently, if true its a terrible decision.

Yeah? Very poor decision if true. Only thing I can think of is Martin mustn't want him cause apprantly it was people who are above Martin brought him back to the club not Martin.

Worth starting a 2017 thread at this stage? Most of the discussion is what's coming, rather than what has already happened.

• Advertisement

Probably better off changing the name of this thread to just Limerick FC and maybe leave it as a thread for all things Limerick FC related.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 TomYeats1

Rumours up here in Sligo is that you are interested in resigning Vinnie Faherty. Dave Robertson is apparently keen also. Problem is he's under contract but after 25 goals in the past year and a half I'm sure some sort of deal could be brokered.

TomYeats1 wrote: »
    Rumours up here in Sligo is that you are interested in resigning Vinnie Faherty. Dave Robertson is apparently keen also. Problem is he's under contract but after 25 goals in the past year and a half I'm sure some sort of deal could be brokered.

Wouldn't mind getting Vinnie back to Limerick, he done well towards the end of the 2015 season and Limerick needs a goal scorer badly but if he's under contract I cant see him moving anywhere unless both parties want out.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 TomYeats1

Wouldn't mind getting Vinnie back to Limerick, he done well towards the end of the 2015 season and Limerick needs a goal scorer badly but if he's under contract I cant see him moving anywhere unless both parties want out.

I know Robertson has asked the board here to make him a priority. Not sure exactly what the situation is with Galway though.

Dean Clarke and Shaun Kelly both re-sign for the club.

Dean Clarke and Shaun Kelly both re-sign for the club.

Very pleased with both signings. Delighted to have Clarke back.

Hopefully a few more decent signings to follow.

Stephen Kenny back for another season.

Team has been back training this week and taken from the Blue Army page this is the squad as it stands.

Keepers: Freddy Hall, Brendan Clarke

Defenders: Shaun Kelly, Tony Whiteheads, David O'Connor, Robbie Williams, Shane Tracy

Midfield: Stephen Kenny, Lee J Lynch, Shane Duggan, Paul O'Connor, Clyde O'Connell, Ian Turner

Forwards: Dean Clarke, Chris Mulhall, Garbhan Coughlin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭Jofspring

It's not a bad squad at all and if the three from the uk can come in and are of decent quality we should have enough to finish mid-table.

• Advertisement

As pointed out on the Blue Army page that's a similar looking squad to the one that went on that great run towards the end of the 2015 season with goalkeepers being a major problem at the start of that season it was fixed with Freddy coming in and now Limerick have two keepers who could start for any of the top clubs.

Defence is still a problem with Tracy the only recognised left full at the moment. Paudie could be on his way out so may need to bring in another centre half if he doesn't re-sign but one of the lads mentioned they passed Robbie Williams about week or two ago and that he's probably in the best shape hes ever being since he arrived to Limerick.

The midfield is looking okay but the drop off from the starting three to the replacements is a bit worrying, wonder does Joe Gamble still got his playing boots or Essien on a short term deal haha.

They need to add a goal scorer to squad though, while Mulhall finished joint top scorer there's a big difference in quality this year. Dean Clarke is down as a forward so would be interesting to see whether he plays up top or out wide like two years ago.

Hopefully the players they have on trial can impress and bolster squad some more.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement