Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick FC 2016 Season

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,929 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Best place for it really and should move Thursday game against Cork too.

Limerick one down after 56mins

Two down after 70mins

Finished two nil, not a bad run out for Limerick against last year's league champions. Good to see Dougie back and play the full 90mins, badly need to add one or two lads to the squad especially in the wide positions.

• Advertisement

Quality signing
    Limerick manager Martin Russell says that Aaron Greene “sees the potential in the club”, after the forward dropped a division to join the Blues’ promotion push in the coming season.

Greene was at the Markets Field for Thursday night’s friendly against Cork City and the Shannonsiders finally secured his signature having been “working on it” for the past fortnight.

The 26-year-old – twice an FAI Cup winner with Sligo – netted nine league goals for Saint Patrick’s Athletic last season including three strikes in two wins over Limerick, although his side were on the end of a 3-1 defeat in Garryowen in September.

And Russell believes the experience of that night showed Greene what could be.

“It’s one of those where Aaron was aware of what has been happening in the Markets Field,” Russell told LimerickFC.ie. “He is already familiar with a couple of our players and he sees the potential in the club.

“We have been working on it for the past couple of weeks and we are glad to have now secured his services. That calibre of player will add to what we already have – it’s another step forward for us.”

Greene could feature in next Tuesday’s Munster Senior Cup semi-final at Cobh Ramblers (kick-off 7.30pm) if his registration is processed in time.

Limerick could be further boosted by the debut of striker John O’Flynn in the following Saturday’s friendly visit of Galway United, with the former League & FAI Cup winner close to a return following a knee injury.

“We will try to get as healthy competition as possible,” Martin said when asked if he was now happy with his attacking options. “We have yet to see John in a shirt, so we’ll look at it as it goes, but Aaron and John when fit make us quite potent.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Never expected a signing like that tbh. Was never the biggest fan of Greene as an opposition player, but he's talented and gets goals. A Premier Division player for sure... the type of player we would have loved last season. Are we splashing the cash now?

You hear the rumours alright that this crowd invested money and he invested money. Think there was talk that big money from different companies around the city was on the table had they stayed up but if they went down there was still money there but not as much

To still be able to hang onto their top players and bring someone like Aaron Greene in there must be cash to splash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭Jofspring

2016 Squad

It looks like the following will be the Limerick squad for the season:

Goalkeepers:
    Freddy Hall
    Tommy Holland (under 19)

Defenders:
    Shaun Kelly
    Paudie O'Connor (under 19's)
    Seamus Sharkey
    Robbie Williams
    Shane Tracey
    Killian Brouder (under 19's)
    Colm Murphy
    Shane Costello

Midfield:
    Shane Duggan
    Lee Jay Lynch
    Paul O Connor
    Aaron Greene
    Stephen Kenny
    Kyle McLeod (subject to visa)
    Chris Mullhall

Forwards:
    John O'Flynn
    Garbhan Coughlan
    Jordan Moore
    Ross Mann

Season kicks off this Saturday 6:30pm at the Markets Field vs UCD.

About time it's back, breaks between seasons are way too long but necessary. Squad is looking well and barring injuries should be good enough to win the league. One thing will worry about is does Russell have a plan B

• Advertisement

About time it's back, breaks between seasons are way too long but necessary. Squad is looking well and barring injuries should be good enough to win the league. One thing will worry about is does Russell have a plan B for when weaker teams just sit back and defend.

Who's Sean Russell playing for now, out of interest?

We should be good enough to win the league, that's a better team than won promotion last time imo. But we've fcuked up before, so don't take anything for granted.

As it stands Sean Russell is unattached to the best of my knowledge. Think eh trained a bit with us. I think we should have hung onto him. Played well in the last few games of the season and would have been a good player in the first division .

Jofspring wrote: »
    2016 Squad

It looks like the following will be the Limerick squad for the season:

Kyle McLeod (subject to visa)

A man called "Kyle Mcleod" doesn't sound like a man who'd need a work visa to play LOI. Where's he from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

A man called "Kyle Mcleod" doesn't sound like a man who'd need a work visa to play LOI. Where's he from?

Probably subject to his visa card clearing the price of a flight from scotland I'd assume

He's American.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Anyone know if I can buy tickets in town. Ideally Friday or Saturday morning?

Working till 6 so won't get to ground till 6.20/25

Anyone know if I can buy tickets in town. Ideally Friday or Saturday morning?

Working till 6 so won't get to ground till 6.20/25

They used to sell tickets in Gleeson's Sports Store last year, if you're on Facebook can message the limerick page or the blue army lads and they might know more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

They used to sell tickets in Gleeson's Sports Store last year, if you're on Facebook can message the limerick page or the blue army lads and they might know more.

Club got back to me, just outside the ground from 5.30, hopefully I can get out of work on time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,670 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Limerick 4-1 UCD

(Greene x 2, Mulhall, Tracy)

1,252 in attendance to watch Limerick comfortably outclass UCD in the first game of the season.

UCD scored first during what was pretty much their only period of attack of the entire game - a decent free kick into the box and terrible marking allowed their centre-half to head home.

But we equalised when Aaron Greene smashed in from the edge of the box, and then UCD had a defender given a straight red card for an elbow on Chris Mulhall.

In the second half, Shane Duggan slipped Greene in and he finished at the near post. Then Chris Mulhall made it three, before Shane Tracy added a fourth.

We could easily had had another 4 - it was an onslaught in the second half, just attack after attack.

Next game: away to Waterford, Friday March 11th.

Next home game: Cobh Ramblers, Saturday March 19th.

• Advertisement

Freddy Hall
    S.Sharkey -- Paudie -- Robbie -- C.Murphy
    S.Tracy -- Duggie
    G.Coughlan
    S.Kenny
    A.Greene
    C.Mulhall

Good win for Limerick, could have been closer to ten only for a few lads trying to walk it into the net and if that's the only downside one can think of then it wasn't a bad night. Was a good crowd for opening night, 1,252 isn't bad when Munster are playing at home on the same night and the good score line plus lovely football played should be a good indicator for those in two minds about coming that they could be missing out on something special this season.

We were so much better than UCD last night, who were really really poor. I was never worried even at 1-0 down although it was a bad goal to concede, Hall came off his line from the set-piece and got nowhere near it. Hall did have a couple of saves to make but even in the first half, we should have had about 3 goals, but only finished one off, a lovely finish from Greene!

There was nothing in the red card, very harsh, but it led to one of the most one-sided halves of football I've ever seen and it really should have been 8, 9 or 10. Some of our finishing was bad and it wouldn't cut it in the top tier.

Still a good few players to come back in, O'Flynn should have scored 2 from the bench but Mulhall looked good leading the line, quite strong on the ball. I thought he was more of a winger. Paul O'Conor to come into midfield... I'm not sure about Tracy as a midfielder, would prefer him at left-back although he did well last night. Duggan had a bit of a nightmare tbh, although we all know his quality. Kenny was decent on the right, not sure whether he's a natural winger though. Also have Lynch to come back into midfield, I'd say he'd suit the role Coughlan was playing better. Game passed Coughlan by a little bit... I know as a striker he has a tendency to drop deep but we signed him for goals surely. If he's going to be competing with Lynch for a no. 10 role, there's going to be only one winner, you'd imagine.

Kelly to come back into defence, and the possibility of Tracy moving to left-back. But both Sharkey & Murphy did well although we did look a little exposed at times in the first half when they hit us on the break.

All said, we were by far the better team and it's a great start to the season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Any shops selling the Hummel gear in town ?

seachto7 wrote: »
    Any shops selling the Hummel gear in town ?

I don't think so, think they only sell the gear at the matches. It's a pity someone like Gleesons doesn't sell them because some of the hummel gear is well tidy.

I'd say the problem with a shop selling gear is the margin so small for Limerick FC that any more taken out of it and they wouldn't make a penny on the sale of merch.

Fireball do you really think Duggan had a nightmare? He completely ran the midfield, controlled the pace of the game with Tracey, was excellent moving forward with the ball beating their midfielders at ease and set up one goal as well as numerous other chances. I thought he ran Greene close for man of the match. Duggan looked a class above anything UCD had in the middle and they have a few top players coming through. Greene and Duggan seemed to link up really well also. It's like they were playing together years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,670 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Jofspring wrote: »
    Greene and Duggan seemed to link up really well also. It's like they were playing together years.
    Agreed. I thought Greene was easily MOTM but they way he and Duggan combined was excellent. It seemed that they were on the same wavelength about how best to attack.

Whenever Duggan got the ball he was looking for Greene and it seemed that Greene was pretty much always just where Duggan hoped he would be, or else moving into the space Duggan wanted him to move into. 2nd goal was a good example of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Harpy

Thought Duggan had a very good game as well, few times he slipped and stuff but that was happening a few players looked like it was down to the pitch, it seemed to be cutting up I presume because of the amount of rain over the last few months.. good win to start off with and good attendance which should only keep growing if they keep on playing like they did last night.. thank God it's finally back I missed it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I don't think so, think they only sell the gear at the matches. It's a pity someone like Gleesons doesn't sell them because some of the hummel gear is well tidy.

Yeah. Would love a jacket or track suit top but they don't seem to have them on their website.
    Moving up to the big smoke the one time I said I'd make more of an effort to go and see Limk in football and GAA. :(

I thought his first touch was way off, even for his assist for Green's 2nd, he took the most horrible touch and should have lost the ball but there was no one here him so he got a bit lucky. He also missed a huge amount of chances.

• Advertisement

Fireball07 wrote: »
    I thought his first touch was way off, even for his assist for Green's 2nd, he took the most horrible touch and should have lost the ball but there was no one here him so he got a bit lucky. He also missed a huge amount of chances.

Id certainly cut him some slack with some of his touches. He missed most of pre-season due to having surgery on an injury and is only getting back to fitness now. He could have cracked a few more shots from distance maybe but I still think he was very impressive.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement