Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick FC 2016 Season

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,670 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Well Also beat cobh 4-2 in cobh tonight in league cup

John oflynn x2
    Robbie x1
    Kenny x1

That's right, thanks for mentioning it. I'll do my usual 'report'.

Cobh Ramblers 2-4 Limerick

(Own goal/Williams (?), Kenny, O'Flynn x2)

I wasn't at the game but it was by all accounts another comfortable victory for Limerick away to Cobh in the League Cup.

Seems to be some debate as to the first goal - Extratime puts it down as a williams goal, then describes it as an own goal in the report. We went 4-0 up before getting sloppy again and conceding. Freddy Hall have away a penalty and then let a shot slip through his fingers.

Home to Wexford in the next round.

Goals can be viewed here.

https://www.facebook.com/OfficialLimerickFC/videos/10153957253883886/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Athlone 0-4 Limerick, 75mins gone

Athlone 0-5 Limerick

(O Connor, Williams, O'Flynn, Lynch, Duggan)

Another extremely comfortable win for Limerick in miserable conditions in Athlone. They defended with discipline and frustrated us for a while, but eventually Paudie arrived at the back post to smash home a corner. Soon after Robbie Williams glanced home a corner at the near post and we were 2-0 up at the break.

In the second half we went through our customary lapses at the back, and Athlone hit the post, had a shot cleared off the line, and a goal disallowed for offside. It was very frustrating at times, but we were still very dangerous on the break, with most of our attacks coming down the left side, where Aaron Greene was in total control. John O'Flynn was on the pitch for about 5 seconds when he got onto a ball over the top to cut back inside and score. Then attacks down the left resulted in crosses for first Lynch and the Duggan to score.

We are 6 points clear at the top after just 4 games, with Waterford and UCD both on 6 point.

Next game: Home to Shelbourne, Saturday April 2nd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

osarusan wrote: »
    Athlone 0-5 Limerick

(O Connor, Williams, O'Flynn, Lynch, Duggan)

Another extremely comfortable win for Limerick in miserable conditions in Athlone. They defended with discipline and frustrated us for a while, but eventually Paudie arrived at the back post to smash home a corner. Soon after Robbie Williams glanced home a corner at the near post and we were 2-0 up at the break.

In the second half we went through our customary lapses at the back, and Athlone hit the post, had a shot cleared off the line, and a goal disallowed for offside. It was very frustrating at times, but we were still very dangerous on the break, with most of our attacks coming down the left side, where Aaron Greene was in total control. John O'Flynn was on the pitch for about 5 seconds when he got onto a ball over the top to cut back inside and score. Then attacks down the left resulted in crosses for first Lynch and the Duggan to score.

We are 6 points clear at the top after just 4 games, with Waterford and UCD both on 6 point.

Next game: Home to Shelbourne, Saturday April 2nd.

We are also averaging 5 goals scored and 1 conceded per game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭banjobongo

out of curiousity, how many more games do we need to win to automatically qualify to be promoted?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,929 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

banjobongo wrote: »
    out of curiousity, how many more games do we need to win to automatically qualify to be promoted?

Hard to say because to automatically qualify for promotion you need to win the league. The fourth round of fixtures start on the last weekend in August away to UCD and to have the league won by then you'll need a 21 point lead and with the way other teams are dropping points and Limerick already in a 6 point lead it could very easily happen. Could happen sooner then that if the club can keep up the winning streak but after the first round of fixtures I can see teams getting more physical and defensive and Limerick could drop a few points but nothing major.

banjobongo wrote: »

In the last five seasons when there's been 28 games in the first division, we got promoted winning 20 games and four points to spare. Later on Athlone got promoted after winning only 16 games and five points to spare.

For anyone looking to pick up tickets early for the Shels match on Saturday:

Galtee Fuels - "Limerick FC Tickets are now on sale in our Singland depot Castletroy for home matches please support ,a great night and athmosphere to be expected .061 332668"

Paddy McMahon Butchers Athlunkard Street.

Limerick FC 5-1 Shelbourne

• Advertisement

Limerick 5-1 Shelbourne

(Coughlan, Williams, O'Flynn, Duggan, Tracy penalty)

Nervy for quite a while, but eventually a comfortable win for Limerick in the end tonight in front of just under 1400 people.

Limerick took the lead when a Coughlan shot squeezed past the Shels keeper, and we were comfortably the better team for the first half.

Shels came out more positive in the 2nd half, while Limerick seemed fairly complacent and suffering from the same defensive sloppiness that plagued us for most of last season. Shels pressed and finally equalised when Freddy Hall somehow let a tame shot from 20 yards out slip over him and into the net. He was blaming the ground but it was a howler.

That seemed to wake us up, and Robbie Williams headed in at the back post from a corner, although it needed the lino to gesture that it had crossed the line. As Shels tired we exploited the space, and O'Flynn raced clear to shoot past the keeper at his near post, before he set up Duggan to score a 4th. Very late on Shane Tracy converted a penalty after a clumsy tackle in the box.

5-1 is probably not an accurate reflection of the game. Genuine frustration around the ground at our sloppiness, and for the first time so far this season, I wasn't sure we'd go on to win.

Next game: away to Drogheda, Friday April 8th.

Not a bad attendance considering the poor weather and Munster playing Leinster on the telly box. Fans where good again tonight and at least Shelbourne got their two minutes of fame with their mini pitch invasion.

Goals from the Shels game.

Drogheda 0-3 Limerick

(O'Conor, O'Flynn, Lynch)

Just in the door from Drogheda, where we were comfortable winners tonight.

The match followed a similar pattern, with Drogheda being mainly defensive against our attack. They defended pretty well especially in the middle of the field but didn't have much of an attacking threat. We took the lead when Paul O'Conor headed in a cross after their keeper had made a good save.

In the second half we kept the pressure up and after some very good work by Stephen Kenny on the right wing he crossed for John O'Flynn to score at the far post. Later as Drogheda tired a misplaced pass in their defence allowed Aaron Greene to set up Lee Lynch who fired in from the edge of the area.

After that the game was very open and both sides could've had a couple of goals. The difference with previous games was that this time, Drogheda's chances came from their good attacking play, rather than our defensive sloppiness. Along with UCD, they are the best we have faced so far this season.

Next game: home to Cabinteely, Saturday April 16th.

Limerick 3-0 Cabinteely

(Coughlan, Own goal, Tracy penalty)

Limerick eased their way to victory, rarely getting out of first gear. Cabinteely were actually a fairly decent defensive unit but offered virtually nothing going forward. We had most of the possession an territory but didn't actually create much until Coughlan scored from a low Kenny cross.

In the second half it was much the same, and a Tracy corner went through a pack of bodies before being glanced in off a Cabinteely defender. Later their keeper flapped at a cross and a Mulhall (I think) shot towards the empty goal was charged down by a defender. Limerick claimed a penalty for handball - ref didn't want to know about but the linesman flagged for it, and the referee gave it and reluctantly sent off the defender. Tracy scored, and the rest of the game was us on the attack with their keeper making a few very good saves to keep it at 3.

Next game: home to Wexford Youths in the League Cup, Tuesday April 19th.

Next league game: away to UCD, Friday April 22nd.

Limerick FC play Wexford Youths tonight in the League Cup. (7.15 kickoff)

Here's the Limerick Leader preview:
    HIGH-FLYING Limerick FC welcome Premier Division Wexford Youths to the Markets Field tonight, Tuesday, for a last 16 EA Sports Cup tie, 7.15pm.

It will be Limerick’s first meeting with newly-promoted Youths since the final day of the 2012 First Division season, at the end of a campaign where the Shannonsiders sealed their long-awaited return to the top flight.

Martin Russell’s side have a maximum 21 points after seven games in the SSE Airtricity League First Division. The in-form Blues are 10 points clear of joint second-placed sides, UCD and Cobh Ramblers.

Free-scoring Limerick have managed 31 goals in their opening seven First Division fixtures and conceded just five.

Limerick are three-time winners of the League Cup, most recently in April 2002.

2008 League Cup runners-up Wexford sit in ninth place in the SSE Airtricity League Premier Division table with one win and two draws from their opening eight league fixtures.

It will be interesting to see how we fare against Premier Division opposition - assuming Wexford put out a decent team on the night.

Limerick FC play Wexford Youths tonight in the League Cup. (7.15 kickoff)

Here's the Limerick Leader preview:

It will be interesting to see how we fare against Premier Division opposition - assuming Wexford put out a decent team on the night.

Wexford are being priced at 9/1 which is crazy high price

Wexford are being priced at 9/1 which is crazy high price

That's crazy odds, I know they took a beating against Pats at the weekend but they have pushed the likes of Cork, Rovers and Dundalk all close in the league.

That's crazy odds, I know they took a beating against Pats at the weekend but they have pushed the likes of Cork, Rovers and Dundalk all close in the league.

I was looking at it, and thinking is it worth a tenner, but i can't back against Limerick

• Advertisement

I was looking at it, and thinking is it worth a tenner, but i can't back against Limerick

Throw limerick minus two into a accumulator and back Wexford on there own as a fall back haha.

Also assuming we put out a decent team as well. Personally I'd have no qualms if Russell sent out a team of kids and fringe players. One priority alone this season - do NOT get stuck in this graveyard of a first division for another 20 years. Promotion by the biggest possible margin, nothing else is important. The last thing we need is long term injuries to key players in a nothing competition against a bunch of hatchet men.

Also assuming we put out a decent team as well. Personally I'd have no qualms if Russell sent out a team of kids and fringe players. One priority alone this season - do NOT get stuck in this graveyard of a first division for another 20 years. Promotion by the biggest possible margin, nothing else is important. The last thing we need is long term injuries to key players in a nothing competition against a bunch of hatchet men.

Hatchet men is something Wexford ain't, they like Limerick try to play football and hopefully both teams put out their strongest 11 because should be a cracking game of ball.

Hatchet men is something Wexford ain't, they like Limerick try to play football and hopefully both teams put out their strongest 11 because should be a cracking game of ball.

Fair enough if you think we might win the entire competition, which (beating Wexford aside) I don't think we will. A ten point lead with 21 games to go is absolutely nothing if all we take from the league cup is injuries and suspensions. I'd be happy to take it a bit more seriously if/when we have a bigger squad consistently and comfortably at the upper end of the premier.

No doubt a cup along the way is the cherry on top, but as far as I'm concerned the club is only in business for one reason - the league. Promotion is all that matters. Novelty contests like the league cup that I grant you can be bit of a money spinning exercise if you do well should not be a distraction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

Fair enough if you think we might win the entire competition, which (beating Wexford aside) I don't think we will. A ten point lead with 21 games to go is absolutely nothing if all we take from the league cup is injuries and suspensions. I'd be happy to take it a bit more seriously if/when we have a bigger squad consistently and comfortably at the upper end of the premier.

No doubt a cup along the way is the cherry on top, but as far as I'm concerned the club is only in business for one reason - the league. Promotion is all that matters. Novelty contests like the league cup that I grant you can be bit of a money spinning exercise if you do well should not be a distraction.

Just how damaged are you as a fan if you can imagine a scenario where we dont win the league. I thought we were stone useless last saturday, barely got into first gear even and we won 3 nil. We'll win that league with around 7 or 8 games left.

The cups should, in my view, be seen as a way to keep our team sharp and fully aware of the challenge ahead next season. Its all well and good hammering the ****e out of cabinteely and waterford, if we go up and are still giving up the opportunities that we currently give to opposition. Cups could be very beneficial to us this year. Remember that we've only 28 league games this year aswell opposed to the 33 last year. so a cup game every couple of weeks shouldnt cause massive tiredness

Iang87 wrote: »
    Remember that we've only 28 league games this year aswell opposed to the 33 last year. so a cup game every couple of weeks shouldnt cause massive tiredness

I never said tiredness would be the issue. Injuries and suspensions would concern me more. Bussing it up to someplace like Ballybofey to have the likes of Finn Harps kick lumps out of you on a pi$$y Wednesday night when you have an away match to Drogheda the following Saturday isn't going to help us.

Yes, as things stand I do see us comfortable winners of the first division. Let's keep it that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

Ah you're looking at a very specific situation there to be fair

Iang87 wrote: »
    Just how damaged are you as a fan if you can imagine a scenario where we dont win the league. I thought we were stone useless last saturday, barely got into first gear even and we won 3 nil. We'll win that league with around 7 or 8 games left.

The cups should, in my view, be seen as a way to keep our team sharp and fully aware of the challenge ahead next season. Its all well and good hammering the ****e out of cabinteely and waterford, if we go up and are still giving up the opportunities that we currently give to opposition. Cups could be very beneficial to us this year. Remember that we've only 28 league games this year aswell opposed to the 33 last year. so a cup game every couple of weeks shouldnt cause massive tiredness

Exactly, the cup is a great opportunity for Limerick to test themselves against the Premier teams for next season. No point banging in four or five goals a game against teams who are mostly part time, but I will think the club are gonna strengthen a lot more during the summer especially in defence where I think the club should be looking at brining in at least two first team players for Shane and Robbie plus another right full to be giving Sean Kelly some competition.
    I never said tiredness would be the issue. Injuries and suspensions would concern me more. Bussing it up to someplace like Ballybofey to have the likes of Finn Harps kick lumps out of you on a pi$$y Wednesday night when you have an away match to Drogheda the following Saturday isn't going to help us.

Yes, as things stand I do see us comfortable winners of the first division. Let's keep it that way.

No fear of that, Galway knocked them out of the League Cup last night and I'd love to possibly draw them in the FAI Cup and get one over them for that loss in Ballybofey.

I'd say Russell will put out a strong team as he'll want to keep the winning streak going.

• Advertisement

We should be fairly strong. O'Flynn, Duggan and Sharkey all left out of starting team last weekend so possibly back in.

Wexford may put out a second string and if they do I reckon we could whack them for a fair few goals. I think they will mix with around 5 or 6 starters and the rest a mix. I know I would if I was in their position and staying up is priority.

I'd like to see us line up:

Holland

Kelly
    O'Connor
    Williams
    Murphy

Duggan
    O'Connor

Kenny
    Lynch
    Mullhall

O'Flynn.

Gives Hall, Tracy, Greene, Sharkey, Coughlan a rest and we still have strength from the bench.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement