Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick FC 2016 Season

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,670 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Limerick 4-0 Wexford Youths

(Greene x2, O'Flynn x2)

Very impressive performance and a comfortable victory for Limerick in the League Cup tonight. Up against Premier opposition for a change, we weren't fazed by it at all and were the better team throughout. Only a couple of good saves from their keeper kept it scoreless for so long (one superb save from an O'Flynn header was so good that O'Flynn went to shake his hand afterwards), but we eventually went ahead when the ball broke to Greene on the left side of the box and he smashed home a shot across the keeper inside the far post.

We made it two when a ball was flicked back into the danger zone and O'Flynn swivelled to volley home from about 8 yards out, and it was 2-0 at half-time. In the second half Wexford came more into it but never really created much, and we got a third when Garbhan Coughlan sent O'Flynn in behind the defence and he rounded the keeper to score. Very late on we added a fourth when Greene again scored with a left-foot shot from the left side of the area, this time beating the keeper at his near post.

Overall, a very good night.

Next game: away to UCD, Friday April 22nd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,929 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Cracking result, couldn't make it up but had Wexford a strong team out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭Jofspring

No Wexford made 10 changes from the team that played against Pats at the weekend. A pity really because we could do with a good test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

would be great to do well in both cups this year and of course the league, but i think we are miles ahead of the rest of the division

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

A 2-1 win away at UCD.
    That's 8 games played in Div. 1 with 8 wins thus 24 points on the board.
    A run like this is rarely seen at any level in any competition.
    12 points clear of second placed Drogheda.

• Advertisement

UCD 1-2 Limerick

(Duggan x 2)

Something of a lucky escape at the Belfield Bowl tonight. We started very well and purposefully and pressed for the first 20 minutes or so. We went ahead when Duggan fired home from the edge of the area after a Kenny cutback from the endline found its way to him. So far so good, but we completely took our foot off the gas and made it easy for UCD to get a foothold in the game. They warned us more than once with attacks down our right side, but we didn't heed the warnings and finally a left foot cross was swept home from about 10 yards out. We had our own chances too, hitting the crossbar and shooting wide. It could easily have been 2-2 at the break.

In the second half we started well again and after Mulhall teed him up, Duggan cracked home a beautiful volley from about 20yards out. Not long after their keeper brought down Mulhall (or was it Greene) for a penalty and a red card. On came Conor O'Donnell, Limerick's keeper for much of last season, to a...passionate...reception from the away fans. Of course he saved the penalty and made another superb save later on.

We again took our foot off the gas and looked horribly disjointed and sloppy, and when Robbie Williams failed to notice a striker nipping in on his blindside, his attempt to clear only succeeded in bringing down the striker about 20 yards out for a straight red card.

They pressed without creating a whole lot, and we tried to counter without creating anything, and eventually the ref put our nerves at rest.

On the one hand, this was the toughest test so far, and we passed it, but again, so much of the trouble came from our own laziness and sloppiness. Still, 8 wins in a row and 12 points clear (with Cobh and Shels to play, which could reduce it to 10).

Next game: home to Waterford, Saturday April 30th.

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/sport/206698/Sporting-legend-Tony-Ward-backing-Limerick.html
    SPORTING icon Tony Ward, an FAI Cup winner with Limerick Utd in 1982, is getting behind the club’s innovative fundraising initiative.
    Limerick FC Chairman Pat O’Sullivan explained the thinking behind enlisting the help of former soccer and rugby star Ward.

O’Sullivan said: ”I have been funding Limerick. I cannot continue to do it. I wanted to bring corporate Limerick to the table.

“In order to bring corporate Limerick to the table, we found a vehicle through the community work we do. That is the vehicle and the pathway.

“We then felt that it would be nice if we could fine one sporting link with Limerick that would give that little bit of extra credibility to it.

“James Ring, the chief executive of Limerick Chamber, suggested Tony Ward and hence he is here.

“When we want to sell something to corporate Limerick, having someone like Tony ward at the top adds that extra layer of credibility.

“It is not just soccer. This is about Limerick and it is across other sports. If we need Tony to come to any functions where we are promoting the club or Limerick is promoting itself through sport that is another example which shouldn’t be forgotten.

“The supporters are there. Now we need corporate Limerick and political Limerick to support us. They are a net beneficiary of it.”
    Good news I suppose but I'll wait until I hear what the actual plan is.

I do not think there has ever been a club in the last 20 years of LOI that has been both successful and sustainable. That is to say, clubs always cost more to run than they make. They rely on some kind of contribution.

Limerick 7-2 Waterford

(O'Flynn x3, O'Conor x2, Kenny, Mulhall)

A somewhat edgy first half was followed by a rampant 2nd half tonight in front of over 1400 people.

Limerick were ahead after just one minute, as we cut Waterford apart and got in behind their defence, with O'Flynn scoring a tap in after the ball was played across the box to him.

We went through our usual patch of slumber, and Waterford equalised when a fine shot from former Limerick player Dave O'Leary hit the top corner despite the efforts of Freddy Hall. Waterford continued to press and were arguably the better side when O'Flynn scored again, wrongfooting the goalkeeper with a near post header from a cross. He completed his hattrick just a couple of minutes later, running in behind the defence to control a ball over the top and finish calmly past the advancing keeper.

In the second half Waterford pulled one back with another lovely goal, a lofted shot over Hall and into the top left corner, from outside the right side of the area.

We needed some security, and got it when O'Conor was played in behind the defence and put a composed finish past the keeper. O'Conor then unselfishly passed to Kenny to slide past the keeper for a fifth.

It was six when a shot from outside the area was deflected way up in the air and Muhall got a foot on it when it came down about 6 yards out. I'm not sure whether Mulhall was trying to shoot or pass across goal, but the huge amount of topspin on the ball helped it over the line. Finally, O'Conor made it seven with a diving header at the back post as Waterford completely ran out of steam.

There was a collection in aid of Waterford, who are in serious financial trouble these days, which raised over 1,000 euros. Fair play to those who contributed.

Next game: League Cup game home to Galway on Tuesday May 3rd at 7.15 pm.

Next league game: away to Cobh, Saturday May 7th at 7.15pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Toffeeboy

http://www.bbc.com/sport/live/football/36132200

20:18 mention for Limerick :-)

• Advertisement

osarusan wrote: »
    Limerick 7-2 Waterford

Jesus lads, this is getting embarrassing (for everyone else that is :pac: )

Anyway, trivia question for anyone who knows a bit about club history, or just Irish football in general. And no, I have no idea what the answer is, that's why I'm posting...

extratime.ie says the current winning streak for Limerick is "a record", but they don't really expand on that. I assume they mean a club record, but I don't know. Is it also a first division record? Or a full league of Ireland record? Does anyone know what our last best run of either consecutive victories or just going unbeaten was? Any other league clubs had a better run than us?

Jesus lads, this is getting embarrassing (for everyone else that is :pac: )

Anyway, trivia question for anyone who knows a bit about club history, or just Irish football in general. And no, I have no idea what the answer is, that's why I'm posting...

extratime.ie says the current winning streak for Limerick is "a record", but they don't really expand on that. I assume they mean a club record, but I don't know. Is it also a first division record? Or a full league of Ireland record? Does anyone know what our last best run of either consecutive victories or just going unbeaten was? Any other league clubs had a better run than us?

First Division record for most wins in a row I presume, Derry used to hold the record with 7 wins and Limerick beat that last week up in UCD

Limerick 2-0 Galway - League Cup Quarter Final

(O'Connor, Duggan)

Limerick advanced to the semi-final of the League Cup with a win over Galway tonight in front of 937 people.

I wasn't able to make it myself, but according to extratime.ie O'Connor scored a first-half goal after a free-kick deflected into his path. Early in the 2nd half Duggan got on the end of a pass from Mulhall to score a second. Sean Russell made his first start since his return to the club.

Not sure when the semi-final draw will take place.

Next league game: away to Cobh, Saturday May 7th at 7.15pm.

Draw for the semis is on tomorrow night. Match itself was a good game, limerick dominated the majority of the match and possibly only troubled once or twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Limerick91

Last night was my first time in the Markets Field and I was impressed with the set up.

I last attended a Limerick game in Jackman Park, it was be 7 or 8 years ago and it was a loss to Athlone town. Only now I realise how unsuitable Jackman Park is for senior football
    Well done to everybody involved with the project

Limerick91 wrote: »
    Last night was my first time in the Markets Field and I was impressed with the set up.

I last attended a Limerick game in Jackman Park, it was be 7 or 8 years ago and it was a loss to Athlone town. Only now I realise how unsuitable Jackman Park is for senior football
    Well done to everybody involved with the project

Jackman Park is barely suitable for Junior football, remember playing a u16s final about ten years ago and could barely fit the team into the dressing and I think we had the home dressing room. Must have been like a clown car trying to fit a senior team into it with all the staff they all.

Most LOI teams used to book rooms in the Maldron hotel, get togged out there and arrive ready to warm up. Was a joke really.

Jackman has always been a joke when you compare it to other junior league grounds like Eamon Deacy Park (Galway), Turners Cross (Cork). Even the likes of Salthill, Carrick, Tullamore, Castlebar are better facilities.

Work ongoing in Jackman at the moment so it will be interesting to see what is done.

Jofspring wrote: »
    Most LOI teams used to book rooms in the Maldron hotel, get togged out there and arrive ready to warm up. Was a joke really.

Jackman has always been a joke when you compare it to other junior league grounds like Eamon Deacy Park (Galway), Turners Cross (Cork). Even the likes of Salthill, Carrick, Tullamore, Castlebar are better facilities.

Work ongoing in Jackman at the moment so it will be interesting to see what is done.

Think they should just forget about Jackman Park even for Junior matches, even with the new works they really haven't got much room to play around with compared to Hogan Park which also has work ongoing and with some of the ideas that has been suggested it's gonna be good spot once it's finished.

The lack of parking is a killer and probably the biggest issue with Jackman Park, plenty of junior grounds in Limerick with better facilities going for them and more then capable of hosting the cup games and big games in the FAI and Munster Junior or should take a leaf outta the LOI League Cup and just play cup games at the home teams ground.

Drawn away to Derry, game set for Monday August 1st.

• Advertisement

People will have forgotten we are even in the cup at that stage. Ages away.

At least that Monday is a bank holiday but gonna be one long as trip though.

Goals from last night:

At least that Monday is a bank holiday but gonna be one long as trip though.

Will probably be down for the Tuesday with both teams playing on the Saturday. It will all most likely be played in Buncrana as the Brandywell will be under construction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

Horrible draw is Derry away. Have family in Belfast to will get two birds stoned at once and visit them and go to the game. We might have the league won by then lol!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭irelandrover

osarusan wrote: »
    Goals from last night:

I must say, between you, and the club facebook page i've never felt more involved in the club. I used to attend matches regurlarily when i lived in Limerick.

I live abroad now so i can't attend matches but i really feel involved in the club this year. now if only i was allowed buy a jersey from the club shop.

Having a problem with the online shop?

They seem to have a great supply of gear this year at the matches and are selling well by the looks of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Jofspring wrote: »
    Having a problem with the online shop?

They seem to have a great supply of gear this year at the matches and are selling well by the looks of it.

Now that you mention it i checked again. They actually ship outside ireland. they didnt last time i looked. THanks.

Cobh 0-3 Limerick

(Tracy penalty, Lynch, Russell)

Routine win for Limerick tonight on a murky, dreary, dismal evening in Cobh. We rarely got into top gear, and were still in control of the game. After a Cobh player handled when cutting out a Ross Mann cross, Shane Tracy scored the penalty after 15 minutes.

In the second half, a Mulhall header made its way to Russell who held the ball up well before laying off for Lynch to drill home. The game petered out from that point on, with Cobh creating a few chances but not taking them. There was a big cheer when Jordan Moore finally got some competitive action for Limerick, and an even bigger cheer when a Mann cross curled all the way to the back post where Sean Russell slid in to score from about 2 yards out.

Top of the table with a perfect 10 out of 10 record.

Next game: Home to Athlone, Friday (yes, Friday) May 13th, 7.15pm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 Bill Noddy

Hi,,

I am just wondering if the game against Derry away in the League Cup semi final is officially fixed for the August bank holiday Monday evening? I would like to go but if talk that the game will be moved to the Tuesday is true I will have to rule it out with work.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement