Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick FC 2016 Season

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,929 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Probably wont know until closer to the game but with league fixtures for that weekend it probably will be moved to the Tuesday unless they re-schedule the league fixtures.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Bill Noddy

Probably wont know until closer to the game but with league fixtures for that weekend it probably will be moved to the Tuesday unless they re-schedule the league fixtures.

Thanks, that is what I am thinking - we play Shels at MF and Derry are away in Sligo on the Saturday. A bit different to the last time we were in LC semi final - played Longford on the Friday, Man City on the Sunday and Rovers in the cup on the Monday

Bill Noddy wrote: »
    Thanks, that is what I am thinking - we play Shels at MF and Derry are away in Sligo on the Saturday. A bit different to the last time we were in LC semi final - played Longford on the Friday, Man City on the Sunday and Rovers in the cup on the Monday

Hopefully they don't change it and leave it for the Monday, much easier for travelling instead of trying to rush up on the Tuesday and only gives Derry the one day break and Limerick could have the league won by then and rest lads for the match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭Jofspring

It will be Derrys decision as far as I know. They are away to Sligo on the Saturday so that is out of their hands so I'd imagine Tuesday the most likely.

We probably won't know for definite till around 2 or 3 weeks before.

Also the FAI Cup game vs Bluebell Utd has been reversed and will now take place at the Markets Field on Saturday May 21st 2pm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,670 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Just reminding people that this weekend's home game versus Athlone is tonight, Friday at 7.15pm rather than the usual Saturday.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

osarusan wrote: »
    Just reminding people that this weekend's home game versus Athlone is tonight, Friday at 7.15pm rather than the usual Saturday.

Going to miss tonights game, stupid engagement/going away thing on tonight:mad: but will be following on the phone and don't care how anti social i am:D

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Left Back on the Bench

Any idea what time tickets go on sale at?

Usually 1 hour before kick off. Can also be purchased at Galtee Fuels Singland or McMahon Butchers Athlunkard st also.

Limerick 3-0 Athlone

(O'Conor, O'Flynn x2)

A fairly dour first half with Limerick pressing but creating very little against a deep-lying and numerous Athlone defensive unit. The closest we came was when an Athlone defender nearly scored an own goal from a corner. Athlone almost scored also with an attempted lob which Hall did well to keep out. It was 0-0 at the break, which is the first time we have failed to score in the first half all season.

In the second we went in front when a deep cross from Shane Tracy was headed to the roof of the net by Paul O'Conor. John O'Flynn came on and yet again was the catalyst for change. He got onto a ball over the top and put a clinical first time finish low to the keeper's left to make it 2-0,and then made it 3 with the deftest of glanced finishes at the near post from a low Tracy cross. We pressed as they tired and were guilty of trying to walk it in, but another comfortable 3 points.

Next game: home to Bluebell United in the FAI Cup, Saturday May 20th with an afternoon kickoff of 2pm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

Thought the Bluebell game was away, as Bluebell were listed as home team.

• Advertisement

A2LUE42 wrote: »
    Thought the Bluebell game was away, as Bluebell were listed as home team.

No I posted it further back on the thread, the fixture was reversed. More beneficial to bluebell that way.

Limerick 5-2 Bluebell

(Mulhall, O'Flynn x3 (2 penalties), O'Conor)

In the FAI Cup 2nd round, Limerick eased their way to victory against non-league Bluebell in front of 535 people (yeah right!) at the Market's Field.

It was all Limerick in the first half, and we missed a few chances before Chris Mulhall stroked home a left foot shot from the edge of the area. We had a chance to go 2 up when the ref awarded the first of 3 penalties, after Mulhall suckered a defended into bringing him down, but Shane Tracy's penalty was saved. We got a second penalty not long afterwards when Sean Kelly was tripped as he raced into the box. This time O'Flynn took the penalty and converted it calmly. 2-0 at half time.

In the second half we made it 3 when O'Flynn met a cross with the perfect downward header, and when Kelly was pushed over in the box, O'Flynn scored his second penalty to complete his hattrick. We made changes and slowed down and Bluebell finally got into the game, and they picked up 2 goals late on as they got in behind our defence. We closed out the game with a 5th, Jordan Moore's clever backheel sending Mulhall in on goal, and he generously squared for O'Conor to score the simplest of tap-ins.

Next game: away to Shelbourne, Sunday May 29th, 3pm.

Goals here.

Unfortunately they've stopped putting 'proper' highlights on youtube and just have this 'goalcam' which is fixed behind the goal Limerick are scoring into. You don't see much of the goals this way.

I wonder is there a reason behind it? I know RTE don't allow the premier teams post videos of goals or highlights till after soccer republic. Shamrock rovers tried to live stream before but were stopped. Now though you can watch games on a bookies site.

Jofspring wrote: »
    I wonder is there a reason behind it? I know RTE don't allow the premier teams post videos of goals or highlights till after soccer republic. Shamrock rovers tried to live stream before but were stopped. Now though you can watch games on a bookies site.
    No idea. Maybe 'goalcam' is some marketing thing (just by looking at the sponsorship mentioned in the video) but I don't see why that couldn't just have been added to the usual footage.

Shelbourne 3-4 Limerick

(O'Flynn x 2 (1penalty), Mulhall, Lynch)

I missed most of this game due to traffic after a crash on the M7, combined with early Springsteen traffic. Limerick took the lead early through John O'Flynn after a Shane Tracy cross, but Shels equalised when a Tommy Holland clearance bounced off a Shels forward and rebounded into the net.

In the second half Lynch sent Mulhall through to fire past the keeper, and O'Flynn added a third from the penalty spot after Kenny had been brought down. Even at 3-1 it wasn't safe, and Shels scored again after a good run into the box. The ref adjudged Ross Mann to have been fouled in the box and awarded another penalty. It didn't look like a penalty from where I was, but Lee Lynch scored the rebound after his initial penaly kick was saved.

It still wasn't over though. Tommy Holland was penalised for holding the ball in his hands for too long, and they got a free kick about a yard inside the area, which they blasted into the bottom corner. Even after that, they had a glancing header that hit the post and back into play. We held on though, to make it 12 wins from 12. John O'Flynn is God.

Next game: Home to Drogheda, Saturday June 4th, 6,30pm.

Shelbourne 3-4 Limerick

(O'Flynn x 2 (1penalty), Mulhall, Lynch)

I missed most of this game due to traffic after a crash on the M7, combined with early Springsteen traffic. Limerick took the lead early through John O'Flynn after a Shane Tracy cross, but Shels equalised when a Tommy Holland clearance bounced off a Shels forward and rebounded into the net.

In the second half Lynch sent Mulhall through to fire past the keeper, and O'Flynn added a third from the penalty spot after Kenny had been brought down. Even at 3-1 it wasn't safe, and Shels scored again after a good run into the box. The ref adjudged Ross Mann to have been fouled in the box and awarded another penalty. It didn't look like a penalty from where I was, but Lee Lynch scored the rebound after his initial penaly kick was saved.

It still wasn't over though. Tommy Holland was penalised for holding the ball in his hands for too long, and they got a free kick about a yard inside the area, which they blasted into the bottom corner. Even after that, they had a glancing header that hit the post and back into play. We held on though, to make it 12 wins from 12. John O'Flynn is God.

Next game: Home to Drogheda, Saturday June 4th, 6,30pm.

Wow a free given against us for our keeper holding the ball too long, never seen them given

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭ShatterProof

Shelbourne 3-4 Limerick

(O'Flynn x 2 (1penalty..............John O'Flynn is God.

He is God, He is God,
    he is risen from the Shed and he is God,
    Every knee shall bow, every tongue confess,
    That John o Flynn is god

Limerick 2-2 Drogheda

(Own goal, Mann)

Limerick finally lost their perfect record in front of 1181 tonight in Garryowen. It was an even first half, with both team forcing a couple of decent saves and having plenty of ball. Drogheda were very disciplined defensively.

In the second half we finally went ahead when a Steven Kenny inswinging corner caused all sorts of problems and was bundled over his own line by a Drogheda defender. It came kind of out of nothing, as did their equaliser - a shot was blocked and bounced up in the air, coming down right on the goal line. It looked fairly routine for Tommy Holland, but whether he was trying to catch it or tip it backwards over the crossbar, he ended up helping it into his own net. We pressed and forced a couple of excellent saves with shots from Kelly and O'Flynn, and were then hit on the break. Shane Tracy got sucked into the centre trying to defend a cross from the left, and it went to the right side of the box where a Drogheda player fired it back across Holland and in off the post.

There were only a few minutes left, but we forced a corner and when Kenny's first corner was headed back to him, he swung another one in, and Ross Mann (edit) got a glancing touch with his right boot to guide it into the corner. In the end, it was probably a fair result.

The summer break starts now, which means that our Next game is away to Cabinteely, Friday June 24th.

EDIT: It was Ross Mann who got the equaliser, not O'Connor, even though Paudie's name was called out at the time.

Was Holland bad in goal?

• Advertisement

Apart from the first goal he was fine. Made a few good saves, especially in the first half.

Holland wasn't terrible. He is just young and inexperienced. Serious potential there.

This result has been coming for a while and this is a welcome break. Duggan, Greene, Coughlan and Hall all either injured or carrying injuries.

Highlights from 2-2 draw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭bennyl10

He must be a bit on the loopy side. He was given a chance here, signed for three months, was given a run a few weeks ago and was still 2 or 3 stone over weight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

So he ****s all over the place says its awful and exaggerates truths to the point they're complete lies and then finishes it off with

"We won every game over there and I did enjoy it but I want something closer to home"

Ya seems logical. Sounds to me like he's talking shít

Iang87 wrote: »
    So he ****s all over the place says its awful and exaggerates truths to the point they're complete lies and then finishes it off with

"We won every game over there and I did enjoy it but I want something closer to home"

Ya seems logical. Sounds to me like he's talking shít

Course he is, says he can't get into the team because John O'Flynn is so good having played most his career in the English championship even though he's only played league one and league two.

Also I love his comments about how he was told the Bruff training base would be transformed into a somewhat five star hotel. The club have plans of doing the place up but ain't like they can magically pull millions outta the sky and do it over night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 139 ✭✭Fame and Demise

He said on Twitter his comments were taken out of context. I'd love to know what context he meant them in.

He said: “They call the area Stab City. On every second lamp post there is a horse tied against it.

There must be 20 horses in every street you walk down. Where we stayed it
    was crazy. But if you tried to cut the horses loose then they would kill you– supposedly.

The police came and moved all the horses away one day. The next, the guys who owned the horses, smashed every shop and put all their cows in the shops and in schools as well.

The farmers who had cows in their fields put them in the shops, the Spars and supermarkets, for revenge. The police gave them all the horses back and told them to watch what they were doing."

Well I never.

• Advertisement

Should be a good game and it's for a worthy cause.

13434768_10154174669028886_3504400995622052836_n.jpg?oh=c589bdbc40634d2f70e772c688b476ab&oe=57DDFDD5

Limerick Football Club and The Markets Field, in association with Sporting Limerick, are pleased to announce the inaugural Sporting Limerick Charity Cup, which, it is envisaged, will raise funds for worthwhile causes.
    The New Cup, which will be an annual event, will see Limerick FC face the reigning local Premier League champions, this year Carew Park.
    Limerick FC and Carew Park FC will meet in The Markets Field on Friday, 17 June, at 7.30pm.
    This year, a very worthy cause has been chosen to benefit from the event.
    • Former Limerick and current Carew Park player Kieran Hanlon and his partner Amber O’Halloran recently celebrated the birth of their daughter Zara. She was born prematurely and is being cared for in Our Lady’s Children’s Hospital, Crumlin. The funds will go towards helping defray the family’s expenses.
    The Sporting Limerick Charity Cup will take place following the annual SSE Airtricity League midseason break each year, providing Limerick with a warm-up match for the second half of the campaign and pitting them against the recently-crowned local champions.
    The admission price has been set at €5 across the board. Corporate tickets are available for €10 which includes access to the Corporate Suite and complimentary refreshments (tea / coffee & sandwiches).
    Ticket booths and gates will open at 6.30pm on Friday evening. Tickets will be available in advance from the following outlets:
    • Galtee Fuels, Castletroy
    • Paddy McMahon Butchers, Athlunkard Street
    We encourage everybody with an interest in football locally to get behind this event and make it as successful as possible.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement