Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

item stolen in the post

Options
  • 11-11-2015 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭

In August I sent a small packet to a family member, it had two cards in it and a phone in the middle of them. the phone was of little value but was my 12 year old sisters, hence I sent the packet by ordinary post.
    when the package was received at the other end there was a slit in it and the phone was missing from it.
    I started an investigation with An Post and got a letter today saying the phone was not found, my issue is that it has to have been an An Post employee that stole the phone, as the packet was handed into the post office and posted there, and no one else but An Post should have handled it until it was received at the other end.
    they say there is no more that can be done, I'm not happy as one of their staff must have taken the phone.

is there any more can be done?

thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

The package may have ripped and the phone fallen out.

Was your package insured? If not, then other than reporting the phone lost, and having it blocked by the network it was on, there is not much more you can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Not much. You could report it to the Gardaí as a theft but you're likely to be told there's nothing they can do. After all where would they start? How would anyone even identify who took it if it was theft and not a case that the package was accidentally slit by a faulty machine.

You have no claim for compensation from An Post either under their terms of postage.
    http://www.anpost.ie/AnPost/Postal+Terms+and+Conditions

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭DMcL1971

If the parcel had been registered you would be fine but with standard post you have no comeback. The first problem you have is that you cannot prove that the phone was in the envelope in the first place. You therefore cannot prove that An Post ever had possession of it. I don't doubt you but unfortunately you cannot prove it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭patrickc

thanks for the advice.

Advertisement