Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unsolicited Goods?

Options
  • 11-11-2015 10:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭

I ordered an item on the internet over a month ago which was supposed to take 10 days for delivery. After numerous emails, it finally arrived today, as did a second package with the same item in it! I only ordered 1 and paid for 1. This has happened me a few times before and I've always returned the second item, but this company has really annoyed me!

So regardless of the morals of the situation, would the item count as unsolicited goods? As soon as I realised what had happened I resealed the package, and they are free to rectify there error whenever they want to. I just don't feel inclined to help them out. (Regardless of morals) am I legally doing anything wrong if I don't notify them? The item was ordered through an Irish site but dispatched from another EU country if that makes any difference.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

After your numerous emails they probably dispatched a second item in case the first was lost. Good customer service, bad customer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Whiplashy

davo10 wrote: »
    After your numerous emails they probably dispatched a second item in case the first was lost. Good customer service, bad customer.

I highly doubt that since both packages arrived with the same courier on the same day. And good customer service? I may have emailed them numerous times, but the total replies I got was zero!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Whiplashy

Melendez wrote: »
    It does not count as unsolicited goods. Unsolicited goods is a term from a hard-sell marketing technique whereby you are intentionally sent goods without requesting them in the hope that you will buy them rather than goto the trouble of sending them back.

This is an error. You must inform the sender that you have received a second item, and make a reasonable attempt to facilitate the seller collect the item, or it becomes theft.

Thank you for the information :) So when I contact them, all I need to do is allow them to arrange for the package to be collected? I'm under no obligation to send it back myself? It weights 14kg so I'm really not inclined to pay postage on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭durtybit

Whiplashy wrote: »
    Thank you for the information :) So when I contact them, all I need to do is allow them to arrange for the package to be collected? I'm under no obligation to send it back myself? It weights 14kg so I'm really not inclined to pay postage on it!

I believe that's the case yes, so send them an email explaining the issue, let them know where they can pick it up and if they don't... you own it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement