Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrades - ram and disk help.

Options
  • 11-11-2015 11:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭

I need to upgrade my current machine to 32GB and add a second 2 TB hard drive, I need 4 x 8 DDR3, so was thinking this ram would be compatible with the m/b just need a second opinion.

http://www.hardwareversand.de/en/1866+Low+Voltage/164638/8GB-Kit+GB+HyperX+FURY+Black+1866MHz+DDR3+CL10.article

I'm using a ASRock 970 Extreme3 with 8 GB Ram

According to the manual I should be using the following ram :

Dual Channel DDR3 Memory Technology (see

- 4 x DDR3 DIMM slots
    - Support DDR3 2100(OC)/1866(OC)/1800(OC)/1600(OC)/
    1333/1066/800 non-ECC, un-buffered memory
    - Max. capacity of system memory: 32GB

I currently have a 128GB SSD as the system partition and a 2TB data drive, but want to expand that to 4TB, I don't need any raid setup etc but is there a recommended drive to use the 2 TB is a Western Digital (WD2002FAEX-0) which has been super since day one.

Going to go for this one.

http://www.hardwareversand.de/en/7200+RPM/70889/WD+Green+2TB+SATA+6Gb+s.article

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 NorseRunes

According to asrock the max is 64GB, although this may depend on your board revision and possibly BIOS. You can punch in your Board serial # on the website to get the proper spec for your revision.

Im going by this:
    asrock.com/mb/AMD/970 Extreme3/?cat=Specifications

Also note from asrock page:
    *1866/1800/1600MHz memory speed is supported depend on the AM3/AM3+ CPU you adopt. For detail CPU specification, please refer AMD official website:
    amd.com/US/PRODUCTS/DESKTOP/PROCESSORS/Pages/desktop-processors.aspx

Get a Different kit for 32GB, yes 4x8GB would work according above, the Kit you posted is,
    Product Description:
    Kingston HyperX FURY - DDR3 - 8 GB : 2 x 4 GB - DIMM 240-pin

that is 2x4GB modules x2 giving you max 16GB, you'll want to find a kit that is 2x8 and just double the order.

Its unclear to me what you want to do with the data HDD. You want to order a new 2TB but need 4TB capacity in one drive in total? then you would need to setup RAID 0, with your old 2TB drive (make a proper backup before doing this). If thats intended. OR splitting 4TB over 2 drives each then the 2TB HDD you posted is ok.

*edit my arithmetic*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

WD Reds are recommended for RAID setups. Green is a little slow.
    What in blazes are you doing to require 32GB of RAM?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Xenoronin wrote: »
    WD Reds are recommended for RAID setups. Green is a little slow.
    What in blazes are you doing to require 32GB of RAM?

Its not about the speed, its about TLER, but yes don't put greens into an array unless you really have to. Not sure thats what the OP wants anayways.

Presumably he's running a cluster of VMs. That or some huge scale CAD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Correct, its for a cert update, vmware etc thanks.

Current drive is a wd green, so its recommended to remove that and replace with two red 2TB ok, also I've a spare unused sandisk 128 SSD should I mirror my data disk (M4-CT128M4SSD2) as its well over 3 years old now or just replace it? not sure on how long desktop SSD's are supposed to last.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Do a price check on 3 & 4TB disks, they may be better value per GB now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

I think SSD is like 5+ years life depending on how hard you are using it. Should be fine for casual use or if you have a laptop lying around without one.

Advertisement