Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving from Maynooth closer to Dublin

Options
  • 12-11-2015 12:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

Dear community,

I've been living in Maynooth for a while and have recently found a job in Dublin City Centre. I want to relocate closer to reduce the time spent travelling every day.

I'm renting a room with 3 other people including the landlord of the house. I do not need more people - less is better. My current rent including all bills is 400 euro per month. I like to have both train and bus services in town (do not have a car). So I was thinking to move into Castleknock/Blanchardstown area but must be relatively close to the train station. I also want to pay the same rent + bills, it should not be higher than say 450 euro for all.

It's good we have a lot of shops in Maynooth - Dunnes and Tesco mostly used + barbers, an post, gardai, all 3 banks and a great computer/printer shop, O'Neills pub - town that has pretty much everything. The only problem is 15 mins from home to bus and 50 mins to the quays.

Would you recommend to move in Catleknock and is it possible to find anything good there for the rent I'm looking for?

Best wishes.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

bigdata wrote: »
    Dear community,

I've been living in Maynooth for a while and have recently found a job in Dublin City Centre. I want to relocate closer to reduce the time spent travelling every day.

I'm renting a room with 3 other people including the landlord of the house. I do not need more people - less is better. My current rent including all bills is 400 euro per month. I like to have both train and bus services in town (do not have a car). So I was thinking to move into Castleknock/Blanchardstown area but must be relatively close to the train station. I also want to pay the same rent + bills, it should not be higher than say 450 euro for all.

It's good we have a lot of shops in Maynooth - Dunnes and Tesco mostly used + barbers, an post, gardai, all 3 banks and a great computer/printer shop, O'Neills pub - town that has pretty much everything. The only problem is 15 mins from home to bus and 50 mins to the quays.

Would you recommend to move in Catleknock and is it possible to find anything good there for the rent I'm looking for?

Best wishes.

the more people you have the more the bills split. especially for heating. So I think you can give up on the idea of less people to keep that kind of money. I don't think you'll get castle knock for that kind of cash inc bills. try ashtown which is less well serviced but closer to the city or try some of the parts of blanchardstown close to clonsilla or coolmine train station. Castleknock has a bit of a postcode tax attached to it and id be amazed if you could get something for 450 a month inc bills.

even 400 inc bills in maynooth is very good. Also most houses you find won't be bill inclusive so to sit in your budget your probably looking at 370 or less for the room itself, which will be a single box room in a 4 bed semi.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

Dear community,

Best wishes.

I used to live in Blanchardstown/Castleknock (owned my own house) and used to rent out rooms too. There would have been 3 of us in the house and the rent was €375 and €300 for the double and single rooms respectively. The bills were extra. That was a number of years ago (6 or 7 approx).
    If I were you I'd stay in Maynooth. The rent you're paying is very good and IMHO Maynooth is a nicer place to live. The town has a nice buzz about it, there are good restaurants and pubs, lots of shops, good train and bus service.
    Blanchardstown certainly does not have the same niceness about it and Castleknock, while a nice place doesn't have the an atmosphere or the same level of convenience.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,907 ✭✭✭✭L1011

You're dreaming rent wise. Not going to happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭vagazzled

I live in Blanchardstown and commuted to NUIM , and I'd much rather live in Maynooth.
    It's a much nicer town with a good athmosphere.
    For this move all you are saving yourself is the 20 minutes on the train from Maynooth to Blanch you'll still have to walk to the station as you do now and it could well be more than 15 minutes.
    You won't find anything decent incl bills for 400pm in Castleknock. You could move and hate it. And tbh right now is not the time to be moving, with so little stock available in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭April 73

Do you get the train or the bus from Maynooth to Dublin? Maybe move within Maynooth so you are closer to the train station. It's a more pleasant commute than by bus.
    There's a lot to be said for a properly functioning town with amenities rather than a vast hinterland of houses with little else to offer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,251 ✭✭✭ongarite

You would be mad to move.
    If you are getting the train in from Maynooth at least you may get a seat in the morning where as you will be standing room only like sardines at Clonsilla, Coolmine & Castleknock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

RasTa wrote: »

OP wants less than 3 others in the house - those have 3 and 4 respectively.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

One is "from", likely expecting double occupancy. One is explicitly ex bills - they said including.

They want to move to a dearer area with lower occupancy without an appropriate increase in rent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

Why not just move to city centre? Add travel costs to current rent. Look for somewhere in the 500-600 region. Worth it if saves you on time.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

So I was thinking to move into Castleknock/Blanchardstown area but must be relatively close to the train station.
    In Maynooth you'll get a seat on the train. In Castleknock and Blanch you'll be standing if you get the train. So it's sit the entire journey, or stand for 20 minutes less.
    ixus wrote: »
    Why not just move to city centre? Add travel costs to current rent. Look for somewhere in the 500-600 region. Worth it if saves you on time.
    Agreed to this, especially as they have no car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭tastyt

Stay where you are.

Maynooth is a great spot as you said. Is it really worth the extra rent and probable worse quality of life to cut 30 mins off a commute?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I got the train from Blanch for a while and live in Maynooth for the past few years.
    During rush hour you will not get a seat @Coolmine,Clonsilla or Castleknock and it is the same train home in the evening.
    400 inc bills sounds pretty good for rent.
    Depending on what part of Castleknock you would be in you could cycle to the city centre.
    I would either stay in Maynooth or move in to town.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thalia_13

I would stay in Maynooth, or move into city centre, but I would not move to another suburb as such.
    I know I have rented in both Maynooth and city, living was obviously more expensive in town. I used spend time with friends in Castleknock/Blanch area and it was as often similar length time getting to town as Maynooth.

That's a decent rent in Maynooth, you say it's 15 min to town from the house. Are you out in Newtown estate? I still miss Maynooth, personally I would move back there if I didn't want to live in the city anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 bigdata

Maynooth is 30 mins away on the non-stop to Connolly Intercity train, but it arrives at 9:33 for the first time which is too late for my work so I have to use the earlier Commuter trains that go for 45 mins. Castleknock is half way closer.

I'm going for a viewing tomorrow - the place is not owner occupied. I always lived with landlords and dealt directly with them. Now it is slightly complicated - to whom I will be paying my rent/bills and how can I get the reference from such place in case I want to leave it in future? What are the pros and cons of living with or without landlord?

All thoughts welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

You pay rent to the landlord. If the person living there says that you pay them the rent, consider that they may be sub-letting the room to you, and are thus the de-facto owner-occupier.

Mostly, everyone pays the landlord the rent, and pay someone (whose name is on the services) the money for the bills.

Castleknock is 23 minutes closer, but from memory (speaking from getting the 07:22 train from Leixlip) you'll be standing probably most of the time when you get on at Castleknock.

Also, isn't the 08:09 train from Maynooth not a non-stop train?

IMO, try getting up off your seat at Castleknock, and see how you'll feel having to stand up every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭slowjoe17

Maynooth is 30 mins away on the non-stop to Connolly Intercity train, but it arrives at 9:33 for the first time which is too late for my work so I have to use the earlier Commuter trains that go for 45 mins. Castleknock is half way closer.

I'm going for a viewing tomorrow - the place is not owner occupied. I always lived with landlords and dealt directly with them. Now it is slightly complicated - to whom I will be paying my rent/bills and how can I get the reference from such place in case I want to leave it in future? What are the pros and cons of living with or without landlord?

All thoughts welcome.

Castleknock has other transport options depending on where you work: the 70, 38 and 39 buses go down the Navan Road and in down the quays. You can cycle into O'Connell Bridge in 30 minutes through the Phoenix Park if work has showering facilities.

BUT if your goal is to take the train, it will be a train of misery. I'd advise you to try standing all the way from Maynooth for a week, and figure if that's an experience you want.

Castleknock/Blanchardstown aren't designed to be walkable IMO. Lack of a car will reduce your options more than other locations.

Just my 2c.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

Are you sure thete's not a direct at 8:10? Maybe its changed.

Or, you could do what everyone else does. Sleep.

All thoughts welcome.

08:09 but has a habit of being so late it runs after the 08:18; it also stops at Drumcondra rather than being fully direct.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

As the OP last posted here 4 months ago- perhaps they might like to advise whether, or not, their query has been resolved by now.

As the OP last posted here 4 months ago- perhaps they might like to advise whether, or not, their query has been resolved by now.

It was the OP that bounced the thread so clearly it isn't

Exactly and the 8:09 train does not go 30 minutes like 9:33 Intercity train, but 38 mins by schedule and 40 mins by reality.

I found one place in between Raheny and Kilbarrack train stations - 480 euro per month including all bills. It is a 12 month lease agreement, owner occupied, 3 people will be living in the house including myself. I've got an email from the landlord to read about lease Terms and Conditions. First of all the form is from UK - it is empty and contains pounds in it (must be in euro). Tenant (or Lodger) obligations are open ended and it looks like it will be hard to get my deposit back. Are there any landlords on boards who share their rooms within a house on a lease agreements? Is it worth of signing it? I feel anxious as I have never done so (always lived on a rent a room scheme monthly/weekly basis with 1 month notice prior to leaving the house and always had my deposit returned).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

You should not sign a lease for an owner occupied property, nor should they give you one. Both parties potentially signing rights away

• Registered Users Posts: 8,251 ✭✭✭ongarite

If you are living with the owner occupied then technically you are a licensee so have vastly reduced rights.
    You can leave with little to no notice period and also be asked to leave at same short notice.

ongarite wrote: »
    If you are living with the owner occupied then technically you are a licensee so have vastly reduced rights.
    You can leave with little to no notice period and also be asked to leave at same short notice.

Only if they don't sign a lease

You should not sign a lease for an owner occupied property, nor should they give you one.
    Why?

Why?

If you read the last line of my post you quoted you'd see why.

• Advertisement

I found a house between Coolmine and Castleknock train stations. The person to whom I paid the deposit is Italian and he is on the lease contract with the house landlord. The landlord is not living in the house. Is it allowed by law to let other people like me to rent a room while being on the lease agreement with the landlord? I'm slightly worried about my new place as I always rented rooms in houses occupied by Irish landlords.

Advertisement