Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting electricity turned on in renovated house

Options
  • 12-11-2015 12:39am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 409 ✭✭

An aunt of mine left an old cottage to my cousin a few years ago thou it needed some work done. As it wasn't in modern condition, my cousin drylined the whole cottage and in the process he had to cut some wires as they where coming through the doorframes. He's been drylining it room by room for the last 2 and half years.

Just last year he got a unregistered electrician to rewire the house before he moved to oz and low and behold, the fella died out there :(

Anyway, its time to get the electric back on but someone mentioned he might need a cert before ESB will even think of turning him on but seeing as this guy wasn't registered and is now deceased, how does he go about getting the house turned back on. One good thing about the rewiring, its all done in conduit so its easy traceable.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,441 ✭✭✭✭Victor

He will have to hire a registered electrician to sign off on the forms before the ESB will provide a supply. It is likely to me more than a form filling exercise, but less than a full rewire.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Shouldn't be a huge deal. Explain the situation to a RECI, they'll test the installation themselves and, assuming all is in order, issue a cert. You can show this to the ESB and they'll connect a supply.

Moved from Accommodation & Property

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Unfortunately for you it was illegal to have a house rewired by a non-Registered Electrical Contractor last year, so your only option may be to have it rewired again - this time by a REC, i.e. a member of RECI who are the SSB operating the Safe Electric scheme on behalf of the Commission for Energy Regulation (www.reci.ie for a list).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 409 ✭✭shugy

Victor wrote: »
    He will have to hire a registered electrician to sign off on the forms before the ESB will provide a supply. It is likely to me more than a form filling exercise, but less than a full rewire.

He's been getting conflicting opinions on this. One he's getting told what your saying and others are saying hell have to rewire it. Itll be a crying shame if he does have to rewire seeing that everything is in conduit and can be seen. The rewiring was installed by an electrician, yes he was unregistered but he still has over a decade of experience in this trade.

• Advertisement

shugy wrote: »
    t everything is in conduit and can be seen.
    Transparent conduit?

The new electrician will have to be able to assure themselves that there are no gunthered connections mid-cable, concealed int hat conduit.

Victor wrote: »
    Transparent conduit?

The new electrician will have to be able to assure themselves that there are no gunthered connections mid-cable, concealed int hat conduit.

Its the stuff that runs down the wall. I think its called conduit or trunking.

Would the poster be right that reci can pass this if done as it should be and all wires can be seen in trunking.

Would the poster be right that reci can pass this if done as it should be and all wires can be seen in trunking.
    I doubt there is a procedure for permitting illegal work.

Risteard81 wrote: »
    I doubt there is a procedure for permitting illegal work.

You doubt or aren't to sure?

What if a registered electrician wires a house out complete and dies next day. Are you trying to tell me reci would make the whole house be wired out again. No Chance!! This register is a load of horse sh1t and is just another money making exercise. If one is component or has trained as an electrician then he should be able to wire a house and get it passed by other bodies.

What if a registered electrician wires a house out complete and dies next day.
    No, because there is a specific change of contractor procedure for that - but not for an illegally wired house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

You doubt or aren't to sure?

What if a registered electrician wires a house out complete and dies next day. Are you trying to tell me reci would make the whole house be wired out again. No Chance!! This register is a load of horse sh1t and is just another money making exercise. If one is component or has trained as an electrician then he should be able to wire a house and get it passed by other bodies.

There are plenty of electricians who have served their time without ever wiring a house or being aware of the regulations that need to be abided by to wire a house. Do you think these electricians should be free to wire a house? I don't and I think that is one of the reasons for only allowing registered electricians to do the work. Even testing a house does not guarantee that all shoddy work will show up in the test so there needs to be some accountability for the work in case it becomes an issue in the future.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Electrical contractors can be registered with either the ECSSA or RECI. Theoretically both organisations ensure that all work carried out by their members comply with all relevant regulations, stand over their work and are fully insured.

Members of both organisations may issue a completion certificate for work that they carried out. Under exceptional circumstances they may certify someone else's work i.e. if an electrician were to die in the middle of a job.

I would not expect either organisation to be too cooperative with people that knowingly employed the services of an unregistered electrician.

Anyone employing the services of unregistered electrical contractors have little or no recourse in the event of any issues. In my opinion they are taking a considerable risk with what is most likely to be the most valuable asset they will ever own in order to save a few bob. In the event that a property burns down due to faulty wiring I would imagine that the insurance company would try to use the fact that the wiring was carried out by an unregistered electrician to their advantage if they could.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

If I was getting someone to do a job, I'd prefer to get someone I know well, who I know is competent, than an unknown contractor who himself will "save a few bob" by using a young fella to actually do the work. Then certify his own job.

Obviously needeing a cert means getting a registered contractor. But certifying own work means little in terms of job quality.

2011 wrote: »
    Electrical contractors can be registered with either the ECSSA or RECI.

I stated that they must be members of RECI as they will be the only show in town from 1st January - a decision which vindicates my claim a few weeks ago that RECI are widely perceived as the premiere organisation. They will be the sole Electrical SSB.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I stated that they must be members of RECI as they will be the only show in town from 1st January - a decision which vindicates my claim a few weeks ago that RECI are widely perceived as the premiere organisation. They will be the sole Electrical SSB.

As we are still in 2015 my post is correct.

Please stay on topic.

aido79 wrote: »
    There are plenty of electricians who have served their time without ever wiring a house or being aware of the regulations that need to be abided by to wire a house. Do you think these electricians should be free to wire a house? I don't and I think that is one of the reasons for only allowing registered electricians to do the work. Even testing a house does not guarantee that all shoddy work will show up in the test so there needs to be some accountability for the work in case it becomes an issue in the future.
    Will it be the actual registered lad wiring the house, or could it possibly be someone who he employs?

Bruthal wrote: »
    Will it be the actual registered lad wiring the house, or could it possibly be someone who he employs?

It is the firm which is Registered so not sure what your point is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

The registered lad should only employ people he trusts to do the work correctly as it's going to come back on him if something goes wrong because he will be the one signing it off.

It is the firm which is Registered so not sure what your point is.

Of course you're not.

Of course you're not.

What I am pointing out is that there is no such thing as a Registered guy - only Registered firms. Therefore there is no reason why it should be the Principal Duty Holder or a Qualified Certifier installing. For the record I am both Principal Duty Holder and Qualified Certifier so it makes no odds to me.

• Advertisement

Next you'll be telling me aircraft black boxes are not black...

I don't think there is any benifit in keeping this thread going.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement