Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

laptop problem constantly hanging

Options
  • 12-11-2015 9:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭

guys

I've a samsung laptop thats about 3 years old. its running Windows 7 home premium with 6GB Ram and an i3-2350 (2.3GHz) cpu

a while ago it was dog slow, taking 20 minutes for the Wifi to connect, when connected webpages would hang so i ran a bunch of AV scans and cleaned up what was found. updated the drivers and so on but still no luck. so i rebuilt it using the recovery partition to factory spec. it was running fine for a while

Now whats happening is any time uTorrent opens it hangs the laptop, thought it was maybe the windows Firewall so disabled that and it was no better. Switched to Deluge and that ran fine for a few days and again started acting up. but even outside the moral/legal/ethical aspects of using a torrent app the WiFi still takes minutes to connect, when the laptop boots it takes a good 5-10 minutes to be usable. once its running its fine until a torrent app are opened or theres more than 6 browser pages opened and then it becomes unresponsive again.

Ran an Avira AV scan and it came back clean, checked with Malwarebytes and that came back clean also.

any recpommendatiosn on where to start looking for a cause and resolution for this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If boot times are long, then its fine, then you open a torrent client and it grinds to a halt again that screams disk issues.

Buy an SSD and do a clean install, everything will be 4x more responsive than the day you first bought it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Check is all your 6GB recognised. I'd also limit the up and down speed on the torrents, and the number of torrents active. I'm currently using a Sky ADSL connection, its only got a small upload rate and high torrent use makes it bad for any device connected to the router.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭kodistar

Hi there,

Get rid of all the anti virus u have avg and the rest just use malware bytes you will be ok with that,could all be your ram is only taking 4 gig not 6 gig take 2 out and see if it improves, finally use qbitorrent better then utorrent and easier and faster to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Faolchu

@Kodister I've removed all AV at this stage except a trail/free version of Malwarebytes. I thought it might have been one of these but that didn't help any. I'll try that other torrent app to see if its better

@bonzodog2 will do I'll try that tonight to see if there's a difference. might try just reseating the RAM also. I'm on UPC up to about a month ago there was no issues so my upload/download should be ok. there's less than 10 active files in downloading/seeding in the torrent app. I tend to remove them after a day or so but i only moved to Deluge in the last two days.

@ED E I'm thinking disk also but if i once the WiFi connects after boot its fine and if i don't open the torrent unless there's a massive amount open performance seems ok. its 3+ years old mind so would it be even worth the cost of a new disk?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

That sounds like the hard drive is on its last legs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Commander Data

Hello Faolchu. I had this problem for a couple of weeks. It turned out to be none of the afforementioned possibilities.

Instead, check to see if your laptop has installed update KB3035583 (Windows 10 Upgrade). If so, uninstall it and your computer will return to normal. If you are prompted to install the update again, left-click to select and then right click to hide. This will ensure that it is banished for good.

Kind regards,

Commander Data

Hello Faolchu. I had this problem for a couple of weeks. It turned out to be none of the afforementioned possibilities.

Instead, check to see if your laptop has installed update KB3035583 (Windows 10 Upgrade). If so, uninstall it and your computer will return to normal. If you are prompted to install the update again, left-click to select and then right click to hide. This will ensure that it is banished for good.

Kind regards,

Commander Data

yeah had that one alright but uninstalled it. Pretty sure checked for updates and selected Hide for it but i'll just check again in case the bugger got back in.

so i rebuilt from scratch completely formatting the hdd. purposely ignored and hid the GWX update and she was grant til last night. same thing and hen i looked at the event viewer i was getting this which to me looks like the disk or its controller is on the way out:

Log Name: System
    Source: atapi
    Date: 18/11/2015 21:27:39
    Event ID: 11
    Task Category: None
    Level: Error
    Keywords: Classic
    User: N/A
    Computer: PC
    Description:
    The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Ide\IdePort0.
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event"&gt;
    <System>
    <Provider Name="atapi" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="49156">11</EventID>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>0</Task>
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2015-11-18T21:27:39.926789300Z" />
    <EventRecordID>6403</EventRecordID>
    <Channel>System</Channel>
    <Computer>serena-PC</Computer>
    <Security />
    </System>
    <EventData>
    <Data>\Device\Ide\IdePort0</Data>
    <Binary>0000100001000000000000000B0004C002000000850100C00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000004100000</Binary>
    </EventData>
    </Event>

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Faolchu wrote: »
    <Data>\Device\Ide\IdePort0</Data>
    I've a samsung laptop thats about 3 years old. its running Windows 7 home premium with 6GB Ram and an i3-2350 (2.3GHz) cpu

Huh? IDE on a 2011 machine?

Either way working life of a 2.5" drive is 2yrs, not unexpected to see issues closing on 4yrs. Swap her out with an SSD and away you go.

Advertisement