Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Only smoking when drinking

Options
  • 12-11-2015 10:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

I have never touched or craved a cigarette while not having any alcohol. However, when i drink, cravings (if that makes sense) start and with alcohol its hard to summon will power to not give in, Long story short, i smoke quite a bit when im having a drink...anyone any experience with this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Craving cigarette/cigarettes after a drink/drinks does make sense.. It's probably a safe bet to say that everyone has the odd cheeky cigarette/cigarettes when they have alcohol in their system, the 2 go hand in hand literally, and backed up by science as well. From personal experience, and i've been smoking since i was 19.... I know when I've drink on board, i can easily go through a box of 20 Benson & Hedges no bother over the course of a night out..

Hopefully that's helpful in some way

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭gingergirl

I love a few cheeky roll ups with a glass of wine at the weekend, don't bother smoking any other time, (although used to smoke more before I had kids). Was thinking of getting an e cig to try and wean myself of these weekend cigs

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Gerard3003

Know the feeling. Quit smoking after 3 years, only time I ever experience a craving now is with a few scoops. Still haven't found a way to combat this and usually give in and have a few smokes, anyone with the willpower to avoid giving in, your advice is much appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,648 ✭✭✭Glebee

I have an ecig that I use just for this. Never really touch it during the week but have it in my pocket when Im out for a drink so if Im craving a smoke a drag of the ecig and im fine. Ive also cut down to using just 0% nicotine in the juice so its just a habit at this stage I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 dartsplayer

my sister only ever smokes when she's having a few drinks and not always. i think if your a former smoker this is a very slippery slope to go on. but if you are a social smoker as you sound to me i reckon its ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,648 ✭✭✭Glebee

my sister only ever smokes when she's having a few drinks and not always. i think if your a former smoker this is a very slippery slope to go on. but if you are a social smoker as you sound to me i reckon its ok.

is it not the one or two social smokes though that form the habit...

• Registered Users Posts: 42 dartsplayer

I don't know my sister is a social smoker for at least 20 years, i think it's when your buying your own smokes that the slippery slope begins

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

I don't know my sister is a social smoker for at least 20 years, i think it's when your buying your own smokes that the slippery slope begins

I was a social smoker for a long time, and I did buy my own smokes. Any left over after a night out would go into a drawer til the next night. Though having a few left over didn't happen very often, as a friend who was also a social smoker never bought any. Drove me nuts, "Giz a fag" several times during a night. "Go buy some". "Sure I only want 1 or 2 like".
    Now that I don't smoke any more, I find it amusing watching him going around bumming smokes all night. For a fella who doesn't smoke, he can smoke 8 - 10 on a night out.

Advertisement