Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Your favourite creepy/scary film?

• 12-11-2015 11:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭

Without turning this into a thread just listing names of films (we have the film forum for expanded discussion), what is your favourite creepy/scary film & why?

For me, it would probably be The Grudge (the US remake, I've not seen the Japanese original yet). I seen in the cinema when it first came out & it scared the life outta me, and stayed with me for days after. Another would be Paranormal Activity (the first one), precisely because if I were to imagine a malevolent entity within a house, it's exactly what I would picture. The scene where she is dragged out of the bed and down the landing was spine chilling for me!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭DyldeBrill

For me it has to be the Exorcist.

I musta watched it when I was about 8-9 years old and it scared the living daylights out of me. I full on slept on my parents floor for a week after watching it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

DyldeBrill wrote: »
    For me it has to be the Exorcist

Seriously disturbing film, especially the directors cut!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,721 ✭✭✭✭maccored

the ring was a bit freaky but the scariest thing I ever read (I didnt find the movie as scary) was the exorcist. I read that when I was about 15 and I literally didnt want to turn to the next page (but obviously did anyway). As I grew older Ive found it hard to be freak out by movies as I cant forget the simple fact that they are fictional.

Myrddin wrote: »
    Seriously disturbing film, especially the directors cut!

That's the one I saw...Good oul TG4 with the scary films.

maccored wrote: »
    the ring was a bit freaky but the scariest thing I ever read (I didnt find the movie as scary) was the exorcist. I read that when I was about 15 and I literally didnt want to turn to the next page (but obviously did anyway). As I grew older Ive found it hard to be freak out by movies as I cant forget the simple fact that they are fictional.

I enjoyed The Ring, but found it lacking compared to The Grudge. That said, I've also never seen the Japanese original of that either...must give them both a watch at some stage.

If we're going back to childhood, the 1971 Salem's Lot film springs to mind!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,721 ✭✭✭✭maccored

oh christ yeah, Salem's Lot. I always remember yer man floating outside the window.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

A Keifer Sutherland film called Mirrors really got to me. Its clever because it makes you afraid of reflections, and they are everywhere. :)

Oryx wrote: »
    A Keifer Sutherland film called Mirrors really got to me. Its clever because it makes you afraid of reflections, and they are everywhere. :)

I remember giving myself a day off school to go watch that with a class mate and thinking it was absolutely brutal. The idea behind it was excellent just didn't think they executed it as well as they could have.

I seen The Conjuring on release, and I think the hype and levels of "oh my god it's the scariest thing ever" meant I had raised expectations going in to see it. I thought it was merely ok, & have definitely seen scarier.

I've heard a lot about The Babadook...anyone seen it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

A lot of people dont like the insidious films but I think they are great. They focus more on the paranormal, the element of an afterlife, ghosts and demons. They also show the ghosts which I love unlike the paranormal activity films. The babadook was a good one as well.

• Advertisement

^^ I think that's why I enjoyed Paranormal Activity so much, precisely because you can't/don't see anything. The idea there's some unseen malevolent entity in the room with you is terrifying :o

Always meant to give Insidious a watch too, I'll add it to the list!

Riamfada wrote: »
    A lot of people dont like the insidious films but I think they are great. They focus more on the paranormal, the element of an afterlife, ghosts and demons. They also show the ghosts which I love unlike the paranormal activity films. The babadook was a good one as well.

I thought the Babadook was a brilliant film, especially the whole meaning behind the story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭La_Gordy

It's SO bad for a horror film. It's basically Papa Lazarou comes to stay wi a stressed lady and her whinging child.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭jasonb

I'm not into horror movies at all, but one night I came home, turned on the TV, and started watching Ring (the Japanese version). I found the story really interesting, so I kept watching, not realising what I was letting myself in for.

I don't think I need spoilers for this, the film's 18 years old now!

Anyhow, near the end when Sadako crawls towards the TV screen, and then comes out of it, I nearly crapped myself. I love that her crossing through the barrier of the TV screen basically meant that I felt less safe, as I was watching it on TV too...

So that's the scariest film I've ever seen... :)

J.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭akelly02

I seen The Conjuring on release, and I think the hype and levels of "oh my god it's the scariest thing ever" meant I had raised expectations going in to see it. I thought it was merely ok, & have definitely seen scarier.

Babadook is complete and utter scutter

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 190 ✭✭spookmaster

I enjoyed The Ring, but found it lacking compared to The Grudge. That said, I've also never seen the Japanese original of that either...must give them both a watch at some stage.

Ringu (the original Ring) and Ju-On (the original Grudge) are exceptional films, check them out. Also, check out The Eye trilogy, another great set of Asian horror films.

The scariest film of all time for me is The Exorcist. It's a masterpiece. The book is also the scariest thing I've ever read!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 190 ✭✭spookmaster

I enjoyed The Conjuring, it felt like a nice tribute to a lot of haunted house movies from 70s cinema such as The Amityville Horror.

The Babadook is a terrific example of modern horror done well. Very creepy and an excellent premise. I loved it.

EvSenn wrote: »
    Hard to come across a good horror these days that doesn't try too hard to be clever.

Indeed, you get a lot of rehashing of ideas and same ol' same ol' type things these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 135 ✭✭LittleMuppet

I loved the first Insidious film. Not so much the second one. It was the first film in a long time that made me jump like a little girl! It's just so different and refreshing from most others in this genre. I loved Pans Labyrinth for the same reason. I still have bad dreams about the pale man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 854 ✭✭✭dubscottie

R-point...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9b8WhQATBv8

I don't get freaked by films usually but this one kept me awake.. Don't watch it before bed time!

• Advertisement

The mothman prophesies, very very creepy, the fact that its based on true events is scary

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

'The UFO incident' - 1975

The Betty and Barney Hill incident/adbuction basically, James Earl Jones scares the crap out of me in the the screaming scenes.. seriously, great actor. Doubly scarey if you watch Stanton Friedman's interviews with their daughter Kathleen Marden. Both Betty and Barney are dead a while now so yeah..

ye can watch the film on youtube too, just search for the title, not sure if it's copywritted or not so i wont link it myself but give it a shot if it's up your alley :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 577 ✭✭✭theaceofspies

The Woman in Black 1989 (NOT the Daniel Radcliffe version).
    The bit at the end when you think she is gone and she appears by the lake.... my blood curdled.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Woman_in_Black_%281989_film%29

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

Never seen The Babadook, loved the insidious movies, a couple others I liked were the exorcism of Emily rose, the fourth kind, close encounters of the third kind, original first poltergeist movie and visitors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,716 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

I found the film Sinister very very creepy. The video tape played at the start is very disturbing. Highly recommended

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭sbs2010

Monkey Shines

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭ItsShane

The Eye (Asian original), Ringu, Ju-On.
    Definitely my top 3 creepy Asian movies.

REC. As far as "zombie" movies go, this and REC 2 were absolutely fantastic films. Set in such a confined space to give you that feeling of claustrophobia.

I also have Audition sitting up on the shelf waiting to be watched. I'll have give it a go soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭youtube!

Think your about 10 years too early with that date bro...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

There's an old movie called Something Evil which had a very young Steven Spielberg involved in it which scared the beejaysus out of me when I was a child of about 10 or so.

The Exorcist obviously is up there - I have seen it many times but I once watched it on a re-release in the 90s in an empty cinema in Limerick when was the only one in the theatre. It was a deep winter's night with horrendous weather and was minus something or other outside PLUS the cinema's heating was broken. It was so cold in the theatre you could see your breath when you were breathing. That and being alone in the theatre certainly added to the experience.

The Omen is also remains a good watch.

The Japanese movies mentioned above are pretty good, and I have to admit to enjoying parts of all of the Paranormal Activity franchise in recent years. Even the weaker ones have some good moments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭aligator_am

The Woman in Black 1989 (NOT the Daniel Radcliffe version).
    The bit at the end when you think she is gone and she appears by the lake.... my blood curdled.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Woman_in_Black_%281989_film%29

Was going to suggest this, the part when she floats up over the bed scared the bejaysus out of me!

Also, Children shouldn't play with dead things, it's a daft film but the music is really creepy (they must have been tripping on LSD when composing it), which really adds to the atmosphere.

A lot of great creepy films were released in the 70's / 80's, think a lot of them were banned for a long time but are now available and have been released by Anchor Bay, think if you google video nasties you'll find them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,716 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

The Changeling with George C Scott is a good one. Very creepy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 917 ✭✭✭whatawaster81

I'd recommend Goodnight Mommy http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/goodnight_mommy/
    English subs but some good twists in it that keep you watching till the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 TheKevin

Riamfada wrote: »

I agree. There are some cheap scares in those films, but lots of it is psychological suggestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭holy guacamole

The first VHS film genuinely sh*t me up, the last segment in particular had me praying for the end credits. The sequels were predictably awful though.

The Descent, Eden Lake and Kill List were also pretty unnerving.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭parttime

DyldeBrill wrote:
    For me it has to be the Exorcist.

I saw this in a cinema in Limerick, in 91 I think while on 3 Calafornian Sunrise acid tabs. One of the weirdest and funniest experiences of my life, I was only 17 at the time. Didn't know what to do afterwards so we popped into another screen and roared laughing at Hellraiser 3!
    Good times.

• Advertisement
Advertisement