Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airplay audio annoyances

Options
  • 12-11-2015 11:53am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭

I airplay audio to a Logitech UE Air Speaker and find it very unreliable, even more so since upgrading my devices to iOS 9. Once it's playing, it's generally fine. But getting it started often takes a bit of fiddling: connecting and re-connecting to the speaker, etc. And since iOS 9 if I pause it tends to lose connection immediately which is very annoying as I have to reconnect to resume playing. This is the opposite extreme of its pre-iOS 9 behaviour in which it tended to remain connected for the rest of the day until I manually disconnected — also very annoying.

I don't know whether to blame Apple or Logitech. And I don't have any other Airplay devices to compare. Is this typical Airplay behaviour?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

No its not typical behavior, test with using itunes on your PC/MAC using airplay and see if the same thing happens, it also could be a network issue.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

It doesn't seem to happen with my Mac, which maintains a connection with the Airplay speaker even after being left paused for 15 minutes.

I notice on my iPhone that when I do go to re-connect to the Airplay speaker that the Airplay button takes a second to re-appear. Maybe iOS is sleeping the WiFi connection which causes it to forget the speaker.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Anyone else have this problem? It's driving me mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

If there is any issue it is probably Logitech not copying the airplay standard correctly. I have seen issues like this though with a friends Logitech speaker. Mainly the windows laptop they were using didn't want to work right with the speaker and broke the connection to the phone if it was used at all.

It's fine with my Mac though. Only affects my iOS devices. And only since around iOS 9.

• Advertisement

iOS 11 seems to have fixed this problem. Airplay stays connected even while paused. Only took Apple 2 years, though not many users seem to use Airplay just for audio (most use it for ATV) so it was never really clear to me whether this was a widespread problem or not.

Advertisement