Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

still no call

Options
  • 12-11-2015 3:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I had a third round interview 2 weeks ago. Went great and was told that I would be contacted last week to be told if I was successful or not.

However I still haven't heard from them. I sent HR a polite email yesterday inquiring about the status of the recruitment process, but no word.

Should I just assume I haven't gotten the job?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Not necessarily.

Keep job hunting anyways. but you may still get it. Two weeks is nothing in the timescale for some employers.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

OP here

The company replied by email saying that they would let me know by early last week, however still no word.

I'm confused. This is two deadlines they've now missed. Why tell people, twice, that you'll let them know by a specified date and then don't?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

OP here

The company replied by email saying that they would let me know by early last week, however still no word.

I'm confused. This is two deadlines they've now missed. Why tell people, twice, that you'll let them know by a specified date and then don't?

The best-laid plans of mice and men often go awry.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Why tell people, twice, that you'll let them know by a specified date and then don't?

Because typically you need them a lot more than they need you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭skallywag

I find such behavior totally unprofessional, as someone who hires people myself I would never renege on a commitment to give a feedback by a certain date, it's just not on to leave candidates hanging like that.

OP, I would give them a call, you are perfectly within your rights, and it will not work against you in any way.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

This
    skallywag wrote: »
    OP, I would give them a call, you are perfectly within your rights, and it will not work against you in any way.

It would be beneficial to call for feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

If they have still not made a decision for whatever reason, your call is not going to speed up the process.

If you have been rejected and not informed , a call might get you feedback on that.

I would probably let it lie and continue on looking for another job , if they decide they want you they will get back to you.

No real downside to enquiring politely , but I would think following up a mail within 24 hours could be akin to badgering ,I would give it till next week to follow up again if you feel the need to .Certainly make sure no attitude creeps through on the call.

If they have still not made a decision for whatever reason, your call is not going to speed up the process.

If you have been rejected and not informed , a call might get you feedback on that.

I would probably let it lie and continue on looking for another job , if they decide they want you they will get back to you.

No real downside to enquiring politely , but I would think following up a mail within 24 hours could be akin to badgering ,I would give it till next week to follow up again if you feel the need to .Certainly make sure no attitude creeps through on the call.

It hasn't been 24 hours. Its been a month

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭blindsider

OP - any progress? I know someone in a very similar situation......he's concerned that he is treading the fine line between keen and pushy.

Having said that, the company (big American tech multi-national) said they'd update by X date and haven't - 2 weeks overdue now.

1 cal + 1 email later, and still no update..........

OP here

Still nothing. So far this has what happened.

Oct 25th- Final round interview after 2 month process, told would be let know by Nov 6th

Nov 6th- Day they said they would let interviewees know. Heard nothing

Nov 12th- Emailed asking if the offers were made as I heard nothing Nov 6th

Nov 14th- The emailed me back, told that they'd decided to let people know by Nov 17th now instead

Nov 17th- Heard nothing

Nov 26th- Left voicemail with HR inquiring about status. No call back

Nov 30th- Left message with secretary, told I would be called this afternoon. Still nothing.

The interview process was really long and intense, involved taking lots of time off my current job. Presentations, assessments, panel interviews, skype interviews, phone interviews with the NY office. They started off with about 50 candidates, and 5 got through the final round. They are hiring 3 people.

To be honest, I'm not sure I want to work for this company at all anymore. The way they've conducted this is shocking. I've never experienced such unprofessional behaviour. The terrible thing is, I really need the job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

Chalk it down to experience and keep looking. I have had an all day final interview some years back with a large company, and they did not bother to let me know I was unsuccessful. I called and emailed and was completely ignored. 10 seconds to send a 'no, thank you' email is not unreasonable. I got other work, it was fine in the end, but I think it shows a rather cavalier attitude to their staff when basic professional niceties are not observed.

Thanks for the advice.

I'm just bitterly disappointed that I haven't even gotten a "thanks but no thanks" especially after such a gruelling process.

A friend of mine who works there says they haven't actually hired anyone at all yet. So who knows what's happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭LuckyCharms

Thanks for the advice.

I'm just bitterly disappointed that I haven't even gotten a "thanks but no thanks" especially after such a gruelling process.

A friend of mine who works there says they haven't actually hired anyone at all yet. So who knows what's happening.

Was in a similar situation not too long ago.

I usually sent a polite email enquiring as to the current status every two weeks until i got an answer.

Although i took it as a given that the job was no longer available to me after not hearing back for 2 weeks from the interview.

There can be a multitude of reasons why, the job may not be available anymore, budget may be pulled, someone may be leaving that would be important in the decisioning process.

Generally, if you haven't heard back from an interview within 2 weeks, it's time to move on, if they want you they will find you.

I finally got an email today saying my application was unsuccessful. I requested feedback but they said it was against company policy to provide it, so I guess I'll never know what happened!

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭LadyBetty

That is disheartening, but if they treat people so badly perhaps you are better off. Shame after all the effort you put in though.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,302 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

I finally got an email today saying my application was unsuccessful. I requested feedback but they said it was against company policy to provide it, so I guess I'll never know what happened!

Most likely you were in the last two or three and they were waiting for their first offer to be accepted or rejected....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I had an interview in February. Despite emailing the HR manager for feedback from the interviewers and being told I'd get an email, I'm still waiting.
    Guess I didn't want to work for them anyways!

Advertisement