Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The cost of being a landlord - who would want to be one?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭lima

Is her point that it's the PRTB's fault that 30,000 people are deciding to illegally rent out their homes?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

lima wrote: »
    Is her point that it's the PRTB's fault that 30,000 people are deciding to illegally rent out their homes?

I dont think she says that 😕

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭jim-mcdee

The government wants to get rid of the one or two property landlord as its hard for them to get them to comply. IMO they are making a mistake. As more professional landlords enter, working on tighter margins, rents will only go one way. Up. And with large portfolio the renter will be left with less alternative but to pay. And while there will be more compliance, they are sure to find loopholes that mean the tax take stays the same or decreases.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Yeah who would want a 100 of thousands of euro asset essentially paid for them by a 3rd party and when it is paid off it's basically all profit.

My heart bleeds for you

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Yeah who would want a 100 of thousands of euro asset essentially paid for them by a 3rd party and when it is paid off it's basically all profit.

My heart bleeds for you

Basically all profit? Are you for real? Do you think Revenue let you keep all the rent? Do you think that there's no CGT owed when you go to sell the house?

Most ill informed statement I've seen here by a landlord basher in a while!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

Landlords get loaded with costs and the chocolate tea (and really awkward) PRTB, the government barely builds social housing, and they wonder why there might be a shortage of rental accommodation. There is too the related matter of rent allowance being cut and the Minister hoped Landlords would subsidise the difference, and Threshold giving advice which explains why Landlords are highly dubious of rent allowance/SW tenants.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

Slept through Business 101?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,536 ✭✭✭✭ted1

My heart bleeds for you

like 30 years later? you need to take off the rose tinted glasses.

My heart bleeds for you

If you think its a gravy train, why not get on it? Maybe because you have to work your ****s off and scrimp and save to purchase it (out of money you already paid tax on might I add), and that's only the beginning of your work. But sure your would only the devilish landlord keeps you down, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Jen44

My heart bleeds for you

you must be joking!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

Are Landlords the moaniest people on the planet! If it wasn't worth it they wouldn't be doing it, it's that simple really

Unless of course, we have 200 thousand "accidental" landlords..

ComfortKid wrote: »
    Are Landlords the moaniest people on the planet! If it wasn't worth it they wouldn't be doing it, it's that simple really

Aren't renters the moaniest people on the planet! If they think its so easy, why don't they all do it?

jim-mcdee wrote:
    Aren't renters the moaniest people on the planet! If they think its so easy, why don't they all do it?

You think people who rent have a choice? They can't afford their own house.
    Landlords choose to to rent out there properties, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,975 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Basically all profit? Are you for real? Do you think Revenue let you keep all the rent? Do you think that there's no CGT owed when you go to sell the house?

Most ill informed statement I've seen here by a landlord basher in a while!!

On the flipside there is those that seem to think that they are paying for the cost of the house in full. That is simply not the case in reality.

Which ever way its painted the landlord is not paying for the full cost of the mortgage, some would be part paying it, some of it is entirely covered by rent it all depends on circumstance.

But its silly to paint a picture that they have a 100% mortage being covered by themselves. rent probably at minimum is covering 50% of the costs, You still end up with the asset whatever the timelines involved.

Again im not saying its a savvy investment its most certainly not in some cases. But its simply not black and white.

I dont see poster complaining to their local shop keeper on selling chocolate bars ... So why complain about landlords

Now I don't really look at many other threads on boards, but I feel that Landlords are very, very moany.

I don't hear as much moaning from taxi drivers, shop owners, start-up owners etc.

If a landlord moans that much then maybe they should move on and not be a landlord. With all your complaining about tax, did you not do the math to see if it was a viable 'business'?

Also, I personally moaned about renting. But then I purchased an apartment so I done something about it

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Not in all cases, in some cases its either rent out or lose it to the bank after putting your heart and soul into it for 15 years with the hope that maybe in a few years you can move back into it when personal circumstances improve.

Now I don't really look at many other threads on boards, but I feel that Landlords are very, very moany.

I don't hear as much moaning from taxi drivers, shop owners, start-up owners etc.

If a landlord moans that much then maybe they should move on and not be a landlord. With all your complaining about tax, did you not do the math to see if it was a viable 'business'?

Also, I personally moaned about renting. But then I purchased an apartment so I done something about it

Actually, if you look back at the thread, you will see that LL are not moaning, only responding to untruths that disgruntled renters are posting, who think LL pay no tax, is a gravy train etc. Are you just on here to compare moaners? :confused: If LL are the biggest, who is the second biggest moaner? And third? Seriously, would love to see your research :rolleyes:

jim-mcdee wrote: »
    Actually, if you look back at the thread, you will see that LL are not moaning, only responding to untruths that disgruntled renters are posting, who think LL pay no tax, is a gravy train etc. Are you just on here to compare moaners? :confused: If LL are the biggest, who is the second biggest moaner? And third? Seriously, would love to see your research :rolleyes:

I am not on here to compare moaners, nor have I conducted any research on the topic. I'm not sure how why you are asking me that but from the confused emoticon I'll just assume you got mixed up.

Outside of this thread, there is quite a lot of moaning from landlords. I think more than enough renters understand that landlords pay tax. The amount of moaning would lead me to speculate that many landlords are acting illegally and not paying enough tax. Many don't even bother to pay their mortgages. They are also constantly trying to reduce their costs by offering substandard accommodation and worn and torn furniture (whilst claiming wear and tear tax relief).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

I've been a landlord and a tenant. There are shítty landlords and there are shítty tenants but at least as a tenant you can move somewhere else if you encounter a shítty landlord.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

jim-mcdee wrote: »
    The government wants to get rid of the one or two property landlord as its hard for them to get them to comply. IMO they are making a mistake. As more professional landlords enter, working on tighter margins, rents will only go one way. Up. And with large portfolio the renter will be left with less alternative but to pay. And while there will be more compliance, they are sure to find loopholes that mean the tax take stays the same or decreases.

I disagree. I think that the one or two property landlords are a huge part of the problem. They seem to think that the legal aspects don't apply to them - "sure I'm an accidental landlord - I shouldn't have to maintain my property or even learn my legal responsibilities, poor me, it's circumstances". This should not be a hobby if it is done right.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,536 ✭✭✭✭ted1

You think people who rent have a choice? They can't afford their own house.
    no they don't, I know many people who bought an apartment. then met a partner who also had a home, they live in one and cant sell the other because the are in negative equity.

i also know other couples who bought a place and now have three kids so are renting a house while renting out their small apartment.

I am not on here to compare moaners, nor have I conducted any research on the topic. I'm not sure how why you are asking me that but from the confused emoticon I'll just assume you got mixed up.

Outside of this thread, there is quite a lot of moaning from landlords. I think more than enough renters understand that landlords pay tax. The amount of moaning would lead me to speculate that many landlords are acting illegally and not paying enough tax. Many don't even bother to pay their mortgages. They are also constantly trying to reduce their costs by offering substandard accommodation and worn and torn furniture (whilst claiming wear and tear tax relief).

What a load of rubbish. Your generalisations are been rolled up as fact when they are not.we see nothing but moaning from tenants on the radio/ tv, newspapers online etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

I disagree. I think that the one or two property landlords are a huge part of the problem. They seem to think that the legal aspects don't apply to them - "sure I'm an accidental landlord - I shouldn't have to maintain my property or even learn my legal responsibilities, poor me, it's circumstances". This should not be a hobby if it is done right.

Whilst I agree that accidental landlords are one part of the problem the keyword here is accidental - it is a failure of national housing policy to have vulnerable people's housing provided by accident. (and in fairness the economic meltdown in 2008 which was unpredicted by most experts didn't help)

Accidental landlords are in the cohort of landlords with one rental property, in the main apartment owners who have outgrown their apartment and cannot afford to sell it. Many of them are renting somewhere bigger themselves. It's not even a hobby! If they could clear their mortgages with a sale of the apartment they would.

Peterx wrote: »
    Whilst I agree that accidental landlords are one part of the problem the keyword here is accidental - it is a failure of national housing policy to have vulnerable people's housing provided by accident. (and in fairness the economic meltdown in 2008 which was unpredicted by most experts didn't help)

Accidental landlords are in the cohort of landlords with one rental property, in the main apartment owners who have outgrown their apartment and cannot afford to sell it. Many of them are renting somewhere bigger themselves. It's not even a hobby! If they could clear their mortgages with a sale of the apartment they would.

I am sure they would clear their mortgage if they could, but that does not absolve them of their responsibilities! There should be an exam that must be passed before an owner is allowed to rent a property, to ensure that they understand their rights and responsibilities

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

I am sure they would clear their mortgage if they could, but that does not absolve them of their responsibilities! There should be an exam that must be passed before an owner is allowed to rent a property, to ensure that they understand their rights and responsibilities

And an exam for the tenants too then - they all know their rights but many (pretend to) know nothing about their responsibilities.

And an exam for the tenants too then - they all know their rights but many (pretend to) know nothing about their responsibilities.

Indeed! Like many other things, this should be taught in schools. Financial responsibility seems to be ignored by the educational system.

Not a bad idea. An online exam, with the renter also doing similar exam, and the cost of the exam (wont be free) went towards the PRTB payment, saving the LL a few quid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

Indeed! Like many other things, this should be taught in schools. Financial responsibility seems to be ignored by the educational system.

Not necessarily true - our school taught 'Rights and Responsibilities as a Citizen' as part of TY.

Advertisement