Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work Breaks

Options
  • 02-09-2015 12:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I work 12 hours a day on only an hour lunch break, is this legal, of not where do I find my rights?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭applejunkie

I'm working 8-5 with lunch from 1230 to 130 unpaid . Used to get a 15 min break at 10 am but We had a new manager start and she has stopped this break leaving only the unpaid hour in between. Is this right or am I still entitled to the 15 mins in the morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

As far as I'm aware on a 12 hour shift your only entitled to a 1 hour break but a number of places I have worked would pay you one hour and a half hour.

8-5 is just the hour I'm afraid to say. Have worked in places that do both the 15 and just the hour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

ziedth wrote: »
    As far as I'm aware on a 12 hour shift your only entitled to a 1 hour break but a number of places I have worked would pay you one hour and a half hour.

8-5 is just the hour I'm afraid to say. Have worked in places that do both the 15 and just the hour

I work 5am to 1pm and only get 30 mins ! It's IT, so its allowed. God I hate my job.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

TallGlass wrote: »
    I work 5am to 1pm and only get 30 mins ! It's IT, so its allowed. God I hate my job.

Really? Does IT have like different break entitlements?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,510 ✭✭✭dobman88

Work 9am-6pm. Get 15 mins at 10.30. Lunch from 1-2 and 15mins at 3.30.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

ziedth wrote: »
    Really? Does IT have like different break entitlements?

Just normal work and time act applies for us in IT, guess it depends on contract, but 30 mins unpaid break.

Working on a Service Desk, one of the worst jobs I have come across. Rather be back packing shelves in my local supermarket. Actively trying to get a new job, but its fairly hard to get out.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,572 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

This stuff is all set down in law...
    Often its quicker to google than open a thread !!

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/hours_of_work/rest_periods_and_breaks.html

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Agent_99

I work 12 hour shifts and take 3x20min paid breaks. :)

Advertisement