Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Marton Fulop - RIP

• 12-11-2015 5:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭

Sad news today as former Sunderland and Hungary (amongst others) goalkeeper Marton Fulop has died aged just 32.

He had a tumour removed from his arm in 2013 and was given the green light to continue his career, but unfortunately lost his battle.

You'll struggle to find anyone with a bad word to say about him at Sunderland anyway. He was a great guy by all accounts.

RIP, Marton. 32 is no age at all :(

marton-fulop-hungary-goalkeeper_3375806.jpg?20151112141337

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭blueshed

Very sad news RIP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Nice words from Niall Quinn in the Sunderland Echo:

http://www.sunderlandecho.com/news/local/all-news/niall-quinn-s-touching-tribute-to-former-sunderland-goalkeeper-marton-fulop-1-7568278
    “Marton was a most beautiful man who brought nothing but joy and a big, radiant smile into the Sunderland dressing room.

“The news is so tragic. He has a beautiful family as well, and I echo the sentiments of all the players and ex-players, ex-colleagues and people who knew him.

“One of the tweets I saw said he was one of the good guys, and I can tell you that he was one of the very best.

“His care for others was noticeable. Every day, he was anxious and eager to assist younger players.

“He was just a beautiful man, and a huge character in our dressing room.”

Fulop lost his place in the Sunderland team following the signing of Scotland international Craig Gordon for £9million in 2007.

However, he stayed to fight for his position, and later went on to win his place back before proving himself at a host of other clubs, including Ipswich Town and Asteras Tripoli.

Quinn added: “The promotion year was real fun having him around. The goalkeeper is a very important part of your team, but he was much more than that.

“(Later), it stood against him the fact that we had paid so much money for Craig Gordon, but there was no sulking, he accepted it and just hoped and hoped that he would get some minutes and some game-time to impress us.

“He did, and at times (manager) Roy Keane kept him in the side, even if Craig was coming back from injury.

“It was touch and go whether we were going to sign Craig because of the form Marton was showing in the pre-season he came.

“His integrity as a footballer, his work ethic on the training ground and his ability to assist others (was great) – even Craig Gordon. There was no jealousy there.

“He pushed and help make Craig a better goalkeeper, and I can say nothing but good things.

“The news is tragic, and anyone who ever came into contact with him will feel terrible.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I got a shock reading this today. I remember when Man City drafted him in as an emergency keeper a few seasons back.

Dreadful news. Best wishes to his friends and family.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Huge shock to see this earlier, far too young :(

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Costel Pantilimon made an absolutely fantastic save from Jon Walters bang on the 32nd minute yesterday, just as the fans were beginning the minutes applause and "there's only one" chant for Fulop. The 32nd minute was because Fulop's shirt number was #32, and Fulop's parents were also at the ground for the game.

A pretty remarkable and very nice coincidence as it was Stoke's only real clear cut chance of the game, but it made me smile when I realised. It makes you wonder.....

CU6YLbnXIAUcbyc.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement