Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USB Formatting

Options
  • 12-11-2015 6:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

Hi,

I have a 64 GB USB drive, i recently downloaded some movie and transferred to the usb but when i plugged it into the TV it said there was nothing there. If i plug into the laptop the movies are on it but on another pc it comes up that the usb needs to be formatted.

I went to format it and i only get exFAT(default) and NTFS. On other USB drives i get FAT and FAT32 options asell as the other two above. Is this the issue? USB not formatted correctly?? What should it be??

Rookie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,682 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Could be actual size of the USB drive itself, some might only support smaller sizes.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭rookie1470

Could be actual size of the USB drive itself, some might only support smaller sizes.

Yes i did read something about that but im sure i put movies on it before and i did get more than the two formatting options. Recently i downloaded a version of windows 8 and had to format the usb to NTFS to do it. Maybe this has something to do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Some tvs can only read drives formatted with fat 32,
    ntfs drive format may not be compatible with your tv.
    I think fat 32 has a 32gig limit .

You cannot format a volume larger than 32 gigabytes (GB) in size using the FAT32 file system during the Windows XP installation process. Windows XP can mount and support FAT32 volumes larger than 32 GB (subject to the other limits), but you cannot create a FAT32 volume larger than 32 GB by using the Format tool during Setup. If you need to format a volume that is larger than 32 GB, use the NTFS file system to format it

read the tv manual for more info.pc drive usb settings

http://www.tomsguide.com/forum/55038-4-recognize-storage-deviceYour external hard disk is formatted in NTFS. Usually, you can't format more than 32GB in FAT32 format. To over come this, there is a free software which allows you to format in FAT32, any hard drive more than 32GB. The link for that software is : http://tokiwa.qee.jp/EN/Fat32Formatter/
    for my 720GB Maxtor 4 Plus. it took nearly 6 hours to format in FAT32. But, once formatted it works like a breeze

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭rookie1470

riclad wrote: »
    Some tvs can only read drives formatted with fat 32,
    ntfs drive format may not be compatible with your tv.
    I think fat 32 has a 32gig limit .

You cannot format a volume larger than 32 gigabytes (GB) in size using the FAT32 file system during the Windows XP installation process. Windows XP can mount and support FAT32 volumes larger than 32 GB (subject to the other limits), but you cannot create a FAT32 volume larger than 32 GB by using the Format tool during Setup. If you need to format a volume that is larger than 32 GB, use the NTFS file system to format it

read the tv manual for more info.pc drive usb settings

http://www.tomsguide.com/forum/55038-4-recognize-storage-deviceYour external hard disk is formatted in NTFS. Usually, you can't format more than 32GB in FAT32 format. To over come this, there is a free software which allows you to format in FAT32, any hard drive more than 32GB. The link for that software is : http://tokiwa.qee.jp/EN/Fat32Formatter/
    for my 720GB Maxtor 4 Plus. it took nearly 6 hours to format in FAT32. But, once formatted it works like a breeze

Thanks but the issue is with the USB!! Only getting 2 formatting options where I'm sure I had at least 2 more including FAT & FAT32. Is there something I deleted when deleting other movies?? Can I get theses formatting options back and how??

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

http://www.online-tech-tips.com/computer-tips/formatting-external-hard-drive-to-fat-32/
    Se above programs to download in the link above.

Unfortunately, Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 will only format a removable drive in FAT32 if it’s less than 32GB! Hmmm…that pretty much cuts out ALL modern external hard drives!

Format External Hard Drive in FAT32 using DOS
    Open a command window by going to Start, then Run and typing in CMD.

command prompt

Now type in the following command at the prompt:

format /FS:FAT32 X:

Replace the letter X with the letter of your external hard drive in Windows. Windows will go ahead and begin formatting the drive in FAT32!

format external hard drive fat32

There seems to also be an issue when using the command line besides the size limit problem. Namely, it can take forever to format the hard drive for some users. Not sure why, but I’ve seen it enough times and it can be very frustrating to wait 5 hours and then have the whole format fail. If the format is taking longer than an hour, just cancel it and try one of the methods below first.

i don,t know it dos format will work on a 64 gig drive .
    Maybe the os you are using just gives you ntfs formatting options from
    my computer view ,
    eg you are using windows 8, 10.
    or you can only format drives in fat 32 mode under 32gig from my computer .

• Advertisement
Advertisement