Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Need some advice about my cat

• 12-11-2015 6:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭

Over the last few months her coat has become sort of knotted on her back area, it seems to be where she can't groom herself, whilst it doesn't seem to be causing her any discomfort at the mo I don't want to let it get any worse but there's no way I could comb it out, I'm wondering if I take her to the vets will they just shave her, it will be very stressful for her as she hates being handled by anyone, I'm the only one she'll tolerate and only for a short time! She's a mostly indoor cat, about 9 years old, being fed the best we can afford (Porta 21) and she's overweight and lazy! Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭jaded_pause

If I found myself in this situation with my cat, who's temperament is similar to your kitty's, (she'd freak out at the vets, and barely tolerates me,) if something has to be done she has it done, if I were you, I'd get one of those grooming mitts, and introduce her to it slowly, let her smell it etc, and then start approaching her with it, you never know, she might enjoy the sensation. My cat enjoys finding my hair brush and rolling around on it :P

Failing that, you might have to bite the bullet and grab her with a towel, and just brush for 30 seconds. Sometimes a little discomfort for her is better than the alternative. But this is just my opinion so take it with the pinch of salt it is intended! I hope you find a way to sort it that suits both you and the kittypoops!

Edit: Personally, shaving her would be my last resort, especially coming into winter and how you said she's "mostly" an inside cat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Knine

Get a lend of a clippers & do it yourself. You could also try a scissors to very carefully cut the clumps out. It is probably a combination of age & too much weight stopping her from grooming properly. Although I would not consider a 9 year old cat that old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,488 ✭✭✭✭Alun

One of our cats has an old injury which means she sometimes finds it difficult to reach her hind quarters which can get a bit matted if we don't keep it under control. One of us just grabs her under her front legs and lifts her up, and the other brushes until she starts complaining. Luckily she doesn't have a very long memory, so we can do a little every day. That's the secret ... little and often, rather than leaving it for too long and then having to for the "big bang" option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

Thanks guys, it deffo is too thick to be brushed out, it needs cutting, I think meself and himself have a project this weekend! When I say she's mostly an indoor cat, she goes out in the summer, this weather she's in the whole time I wouldn't let her out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

I mind a geriatric cat for my auntie and she constantly allows her to get matted as she's about 17 or so and can't groom properly. She is also quite cranky and won't allow anyone to lift or groom her but me. Or maybe the rest are too nervous of her biting 'attempts' :P

Anyway I try and clip them off by distracting her with treats/scratchies and then groom them as often as I can after they're taken off. But it will always build up again if I don't see her for a few weeks. I also try to get her fed some fish in oil maybe once a week as her coat dries out very quickly.
    (Maybe not recommended for a pudgy cat though!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭thegreatgonzo

Hi Trancey, I'd also look into why she can't clean herself properly, if it's a weight issue now is the time to get that under control. I'd also want to rule out the possibility that she is in pain preventing her from bending that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭janmaree

I have a cat who can't groom herself properly and doesn't like me to help. In the past though, I have managed to dab some plain vegetable oil with a cotton wool ball as close to the skin as I can, down between the mat and the cat so to speak. Don't ask me why it works but it does, I've done it and the mats have come off, I go around picking them up off the floor. It takes a while, depending on how bad the problem is but my little mite was covered in them and within a couple of weeks, they were pretty much gone. Maybe the oil gets them licking a bit harder if they're able or the mat gets a bit slippy and slides off in the end.......I'm not sure, I just know it works. My girl looked a bit of a fright for a while but she got over it. It's all I've ever found to be effective, especially when a cat has a short fuse. Scissors can be dynamite as the cat rarely holds still and the skin is unbelievably delicate. I did watch a vet friend use scissors in a very safe way by just inserting the closed point carefully between the skin and the mat and opening then, just a tiny bit at a time, as if in reverse. He never actually used the scissors to cut, just to gently prise apart little by little. Obviously this won't work when there's no co-operation but once in a while, the cat will put up with it. Probably as clear as mud but beware of scissors! Good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Safest option is a clipper, not scissors, but you need to address the issue.
    My dad had a cat that lived to a few weeks short of 20, who at around 18 couldn't turn around to groom herself, he got a glove grooming mit and gently tried to brush her, but she was quite sore at times.

I used to bring over the dog clippers, he held her in a towel and I trimmed her back as gently as I could.
    It takes weeks to grow back but it's easier to keep from matting again for a while.
    At 9 it shouldn't be arthritis, but if she's very over weight that could be the issue.
    I have experience with trying to slim down a cat, try getting her to play, even a little at a time. Feed at set times throughout the day, little and often. Avoid treats, feed high meat content food and if giving dry, try a feeding station that makes them work for food.
    Coconut oil is great, melt a little and add to food, or let her lick it off the spoon if she will, helps with fur balls and my cats coats are great on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Eule

Cat skin is very thin and rips easily.

It's not only that the mat is ugly, but also that it causes pain and can cause skin issues (infections, irritations), so, it's actually a serious problem.

Most likely this has come about because the cat lies on that side a lot and is a bit too old to groom itself properly. I had this happen to my old short hair tom, who until this time only needed grooming as a treat. You might also want to review the material of the cat bedding because some fabrics are more prone to causing knotting than others.

If you want to try it yourself first, have a friend help and make a 'cat burrito', that is, wrap her into a towel to disable the legs, hold the head down by the neck, and use a clipper, or if you don't have one, insert a comb underneath and scissor above that to protect the skin. That said, if you damage the skin, it's vet time anyway (plus cat in pain with a grudge who needs to wear a cone for a bit, and the skin under the mat is most likely already plenty sore, so gefingerpoken there will not add to your popularity).

On balance, I'd take the hit to the wallet and use the vet, and afterwards make a point of grooming with a soft brush every day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Fluffy Cat 88

Ring the vet for advice. She might need a little sedation before clipping as matts are very uncomfortable when moved around. Or a good groomers could do it for you.

Give her a good brushing every few days afterwards.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

We had a feral cat this happened to. Brought her to vet and he shaved her. Fairly straightforward but he was brilliant and the only vet who could handle her.

Happened to another one of ours who is a little pud, she just couldn't reach that part and because she is easily handled I cut them out myself. Took a while as I was keeping her distracted with treats etc as I worked away on her. I'd re-iterate what others have posted wrt keeping it brushed now (guilty as charged!).

Edit: reading the posts on here I feel bad for doing it myself, but I tend to leave half my wages in the vets every week as it is :P

Advertisement