Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are these items Ok and what CPU do you recommend

Options
  • 12-11-2015 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭

Hi folks,

I'm doing a build for a guy in works son with parts that he has, I have, and bits we've bought through work.

He's 16-17 and will be mainly looking to use it for gaming, he'll be using his TV for now but will get a 1080p monitor down the line.

Below is a list of what we have, can someone recommend a CPU for it, I'm thinking i5 4460 , can anyone think of a better one?

Parts so far:
    Thermaltake Micro Case ( can't remember the model number)
    Corsair 800w PSU ( COR-CF-9020047-UK )
    Samsung Optical Drive
    MSI Z97M-G43 Motherboard
    Corsair LP Vengeance 8GB 1600MHz RAM
    WD 2TB Green HDD
    Windows 8.1/10

We're also going to be looking for a 970 ( hopefully will fit in the case, will double check before ordering).

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Drop to a 500w PSU and a H81M or B85M board, should only be about €60 each

Change HDD to a WD Blue or Red.

4460 is a serious CPU, I'd recommend it.

Add an SSD with money saved from PSU and board

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭AntDub

Drop to a 500w PSU and a H81M or B85M board, should only be about €60 each

Change HDD to a WD Blue or Red.

4460 is a serious CPU, I'd recommend it.

Add an SSD with money saved from PSU and board

Sorry, missed off the SSD, we already have a Samsung 250GB SSD.

Typo on the PSU, the one we have is 500w :)

We already have the Mobo, got it for around €50 :)

Already have the Green HDD from another PC, it'll only be used for for music, videos etc

Is there any other CPU that could be used that's a little cheaper but still decent enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Nice price on the board then. Greens are pretty slow tbh, should be fine for that I guess

i3 4160/4170 are a step down, still fine gaming CPUs in most cases. Should be about €120

i5 4460 is pretty much the best value i5

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Eoinmc97

I5 4460 is the best for gaming. i3's are too hard to recommend with games like FO4 still requiring 4 cores (or prepare for Stutterfest4).
    What GOU is being used (The most important part of a gaming build)

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭AntDub

Eoinmc97 wrote: »
    I5 4460 is the best for gaming. i3's are too hard to recommend with games like FO4 still requiring 4 cores (or prepare for Stutterfest4).
    What GOU is being used (The most important part of a gaming build)

We're waiting to get offered a 970 through work, if we can't get that before we get the CPU at the end of the month ( waiting for Black Friday) we'll probably use a R9 285 until we get a 970.

• Advertisement
Advertisement